Quantcast

Resistor vs Non Resistor Plugs/caps

From what I've read, the only function of a resistor is to prevent radio frequencies from interfering with automotives with onboard computer systems. If the only function of a resistor is to prevent damage to a vehicle's computer system, then why would they not be standard for every vehicle equipped with a computer? Are there downsides to using them? 

I think you are referring to a ferrite bead choke

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

A resistor does nothing to block EMI interference, it is designed to resist the flow of current. They are commonly used for LED lights to limit the current to the LED to prevent the LED from drawing too much current and burning out prematurely.

The use of EMI filters or chokes depends on the application. Some circuits or cables are very sensitive to interference. An example would be in automation systems (production machine) that uses PLC controls, the communication between the modules is low voltage and high frequency, so it would require these filters to prevent false signals.

In a vehicle, the process of generating the high voltage needed to fire the spark plugs would produce frequency interference so some components in the vehicle would be shielded to prevent signal interference as an example.

Mike

I  don't know  of any  downside to  using resistor  plugs .  They're not necessary on  older  non-electronic ignition  machines,  and  non-resistor plugs  are unlikely to  cause  problems on newer  ones. In my opinion it's always best to  go with the  plug types and  heat range recommended  by the  machines manufacturer.

• 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Suzukiquad
      Are there any good mods for adding a radio, or Bluetooth speaker that's kid friendly? My son thinks he needs music while riding around. 
    • By Werewolf
      My wheeler originally had a fuel leak.But on trying to start it no spark. Took front end off, when I try to start it I get one spark then nothing. Come back a while latter one spark,replaced coil and cdi box no help?
    • By prdicon
      Hi
      Are you using any spray to prevent mud from sticking to the ATV.
      Both plastics, and engine. 

• By Cobra_kai83
      The gas in the tank was bad so I drained it and put new fuel in. It still wouldn't run so I took the carb out and cleaned it. Re-installed the carb and now it will only start and run under full throttle. It also runs rough like this. The engine stops running once I back out to 1/4 throttle. What the heck is going on?
    • By Seriousbird
      Recently swapped a good top end with a bad drive output onto a engine with a bad top end but with a good drive output.
      Engine 1 (bad drive output), top end was perfect and always ran good for me.
      Engine 2 (good drive output), top end was toast but it has a output.
      I swapped engine 1's top end onto engine 2. Didn't take the rings off all i did was everything from the piston to the valve cover. Sleeve, cylinder, valve system, cam, whole top end. Now that engine 1 is on engine 2 it runs good. Doesn't burn any oil, SOMETIMES.. i went on a fairly decent ride without burning a drop of oil then at one point i noticed i was burning it like a steam train. Drove off a bit more and it was like nothing happened?? It all happened on flat land. Im not overfull on oil. Any suggestions? The rings were untouched and are in their original cylinder. They did come out of the cylinder at one point.