Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Mike Johnson

Suzuki Quadmaster 500, 2000 model

Hello again guys ,. I have a Quadmaster that has a very bad lean to my passenger side wheel. I replaced the a arm bushings with no change in the lean,  I see no bent parts and no adjustments available. It's always been there since I got it but became really noticeable when I put the lift kit on it. I'm going to add a picture of the problem if allowed.

IMG_20191202_110419759.jpg

Thats some lean. I feel like something you did during the lift was not done correctly or a set of bushings on the top swing arm are crushed. 
My approach would be to pull the front wheels off and take measurements from the bolt holes that hold the swing arms in place to the edge of the hub and compare the numbers.  
If your sure this was not a problem before the lift and nothings bent then its a matter of back tracking and making sure you did not mix up the lift brackets. There are two for the front and one for the back on the single suspension rear swing arm type atvs. 

Is it possible  that you mixed anything  up ?

lastly some frames have two holes for the upper shock mount on the front shocks.  Are they both in the same spots ? 

• Like 1

It was leaning really bad before I put the lift kit on it, which is 4 little squares of metal that bolts to the end of the shock. They are all on it correctly. I put new bushings on the a arms, which was not easy to do and they weren't crushed. I'm going to order new ball joints and see what that does. I can visualize one more thing to try but will wait until I do the ball joints to reveal.

I guess thats a good start on the ball joints. Is there any play at all with the wheel off the ground  ? The A frames look ok they match ? Reason I'm asking is maybe the previous owner wrecked it, bent it and put the wrong A frame on the atv? 

I don't know anything about the ATV.  I saw 2 ATVs sitting under the carport of a vacant house for 5 year's, pitch black at night, passed the house one day on my way home and finally saw someone there. I ran off the road and jumped out saying ' finally somebody's here ' we talked a bit and he gave me a price. $700 for both of them, Kawasaki Bayou 300 4x4 and a Suzuki Quadmaster 500 4x4. Brought them home, put gas and a battery in the Kaw and been riding it since. Suzuki needed a rectifier and a battery, carburetor kit  then fired right up. The speedo showed 525 miles on the Suzuki when I got it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By MarkinAR
      So just as a general FYI, it might be good to check replacement parts before installing.  If possible, check clearances with a micrometer before going through the trouble of assembly.  I say this as I bought a new driveshaft yoke for a Kodiak because the ujoint dropped a cap and got the yoke in a bind...blowing the yoke and middle drive gear to shreds.  So I replaced the middle drive gear and bought a new yoke and ujoint kit from Caltric.  Caltric is usually pretty solid replacement parts.  The new yoke however was a good 4mm too narrow for inside lock ujoint caps.  Disappointing since it came as a kit from Caltric.
      Ended up taking an angle grinder to the new yoke and thinning material off to get it to the needed 41.25mm opening size.  Sucks having to disassemble everything again and start over but my fault for trusting replacement parts.  Nearly 40 years of turning wrenches and I made a rookie mistake.
    • By bradley nelson
      Im cool with the police in my area so i can ride on public roads.
    • By cfauvel
      ok help so according the service manual, Idle Air Mix Screw (aka Pilot screw) should be initially set to 2.5 turns out from fully seated.

If I do that the motor doesn't want to start or stay running...right now the pilot screw is probably somewhere near 5 turns out....I'll take the carb off tomorrow to count to know for sure.

mind you the carb got a new float seat,float needle and various other components in the kit.

To get the motor running I hard to turn the pilot screw out quite a bit, and turned the idle speed screw in quite a bit...I didn't hook up an inductive tach to know what it is idling at, but does sound about right.

What should the idle speed adjustment screw initially be set at (the one that has the black cable sheath with a knob you can twist easily)?

Is there a special tool to turn the idle/pilot mix screw whilst the carb is on the running motor? I am using a slotted screw driver bit (normally goes into a driver) by hand..makes it hard to turn the driver and hard to tell how many turns .
    • By Randel1
      I recently read an article about restoring or at least improving the looks of faded and discolored plastic body parts. In the article it suggested using a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and paint thinner. You mix it up and apply it with a brush or rag to rub it in and remove the oxidation. I curious to find out if anyone has had experience with doing this and what was their short/long term results of doing so. I would hate to try it and find out that a few weeks/months down the road my plastic body parts self destruct.   
    • By bradleyheathhays
      Damn, it took 30 years of driving to cause my first accident, and on Friday the damn 13th. Did a low speed rear end into the back of a lifted truck and got into it's trailer receiver. The only place it made contact with was at the very front center of the hood close to where it latches. Unfortunately the impact was enough that there's a longitudinal hump in the middle of the hood now, bowed 6 inches on each side above the quarter panels, which weren't involved at all thank God. Both my headlights are cracked at the top, but not because they got hit; I think it was because the hood and it's latch was pushed back during the collision possibly deforming the support structure, causing the to separate. The hood is lifted up about 3 inches above each headlight and when looking in at the support material just behind each headlight, one side shows cracks and the other cracks and about a 1/2 gap in the material. Can't tell but it may resemble fiberglass, not really sure? My best guess is that the whole front bumper is gonna have to come off and that entire front support piece be replaced. Any advice on how hard this can be? I do a lot of my own work but I really don't want to be getting into this especially with the weather getting so bad now.

When I go junkyard shopping for parts, what year Tauruses are compatible with my '02?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Stephanie Webb
      please help cant figure out how to bypass rev limiter in my suzuki quad master 500
    • By mrfartsalot
      i have a 2001 suzuki quadmaster 500 4x4 that the primary cvt clutch is rusted on any ideas on how to get it off i want to try to reuse it if possible.
    • By Ajmboy
      LT-A500F and LT-A500FY (2000-Model)
      2000-2001 Suzuki Quadmaster 500 Service Manual
    • By Ajmboy
      View File 2000-2001 Suzuki Quadmaster 500 Service Manual
      LT-A500F and LT-A500FY (2000-Model)
      2000-2001 Suzuki Quadmaster 500 Service Manual
      Submitter Ajmboy Submitted 04/19/2019 Category Suzuki ATV  
    • By Mike Johnson
      Hello Guys,  I'm new to the site, but have been reading about all the issues that I to  have had with my quad. I have rebuilt the carb a few times, once when I got it a few years ago and again a few weeks ago. Same problem, it cranks fine and idles well but when I take off it stumbles.  After looking at the site I saw all the posts about the rectifier/regulator so I grabbed one off eBay which came today. Once I found out where it went I saw that the original one wasn't there so I have no reference however I mounted it and began to connect it but one the plugs doesn't fit. The red/black plug connected fine but the yellow wire plug doesn't, and I don't see any other plugs available. Apparently the guy I bought it from had removed the original regulator and it wasn't with the ATV so I have no idea what it looks like. I will also say that I was surprised that it didn't have a rectifier on it but cranked and ran fine till the stumble.  My question is, do those yellow wires have to be hooked up ?  And my apologies for the rambling, I'm doing this on a phone and can't see the screen. Hahaha