Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

Join QUADCRAZY ATV Forum today for FREE! We keep these forums clean and user friendly. All first posters will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first post is approved, you will no longer need to got through an approval process. To gain immediate approval and a NO ADS experience, consider subsribing to our Premium Membership.

Aftermarket parts...

Just wondering where you guy's an Gal's get your parts. I love buying OEM stuff but sometimes they just cost to darn much for what they are. I know, I know everybody needs to make a living but dang! $ 97.00 for brake pads on one side of the front of my KingQuad. There has got to be a better way.

My first move is to take the OEM part number and hit Amazon and feebay.  sometimes you can get OEM on feebay quite a bit cheaper.  Ultimately, it depends on what parts though.  Case gaskets I'll buy whatever is cheap, head gasket OEM only.  Bearings I use measurements or cross reference and buy at the parts store because you can get good Timken many times as cheap as chinese junk.  Rings are OEM ONLY for me, timing chain is always DID.  Brake pads I'll buy chinese junk because I've never had an ATV or UTV that didn't kill brake pads in no time anyway so might as well buy the cheap ones.

• Like 1

I agree with MarkinAR. Critical parts especially when they are part of a serious re-build need to be OEM. It is not worth spending hours rebuilding an engine only to find that a cheap part failed (such as rings) or perform badly. However, brake pads / shoes and many other parts from China are perfectly acceptable and cost a fraction of the price. It is also important to remember that many of the OEM parts are made in China and are often sourced from the same Chinese manufacturer. I have also been very successful with carburetor kits (including jets) for all of my ATVs. It may be worthwhile creating a list of quality Chinese manufacturers on a forum on this platform. 

• Like 1

Living in South Africa, I do not have all the options that you guys do. We do not have Amazon, E-Bay or Partzilla in this country. Freight charges from the US or Europe are exorbitant. I either have to buy from a local Yamaha dealer (at silly prices) or order directly from China (AliExpress). AliExpress is so cheap that it makes up for the freight charges. For example a complete set of brake pads / shoes for my four ATVs cost approximately US$ 100 including freight and VAT.

5 hours ago, BruceG said:

I agree with MarkinAR. Critical parts especially when they are part of a serious re-build need to be OEM. It is not worth spending hours rebuilding an engine only to find that a cheap part failed (such as rings) or perform badly. However, brake pads / shoes and many other parts from China are perfectly acceptable and cost a fraction of the price. It is also important to remember that many of the OEM parts are made in China and are often sourced from the same Chinese manufacturer. I have also been very successful with carburetor kits (including jets) for all of my ATVs. It may be worthwhile creating a list of quality Chinese manufacturers on a forum on this platform. 

Thanks, and I think that would be a very good Idea, the list I mean. It's been quite awhile since we were racing and I have lost all my old part suppliers. I was running Yamahas then and at the time I was a Yamaha dealer so I got spoiled being able to buy parts at cost with free shipping and most of the time they were there the next day. I was never scared to use Weisco I never ever had a problem with a piston kit or a crank kit I got from them. I never worried too much about gaskets or seals either because most of the time they didn't stay on the engine that long because those bikes stayed fresh all the time. Two races was about the limit on a piston kit and the bottom end's were refreshed once a season or sometimes twice depending on haw many classes we decided to do that year. I had a spare engine that was ready to go and I have been known to change a whole engine between motos once or twice when it was a real important race and doing a top end between motos usually happened about once monthly. Some of the tracks were brutal on those 125's especially the real long long tracks like Birch Creek. Running three classes four laps each and by the last lap those bikes were running on a prayer and trust me I was very religous back in the day.LOL

20 hours ago, MarkinAR said:

My first move is to take the OEM part number and hit Amazon and feebay.  sometimes you can get OEM on feebay quite a bit cheaper.  Ultimately, it depends on what parts though.  Case gaskets I'll buy whatever is cheap, head gasket OEM only.  Bearings I use measurements or cross reference and buy at the parts store because you can get good Timken many times as cheap as chinese junk.  Rings are OEM ONLY for me, timing chain is always DID.  Brake pads I'll buy chinese junk because I've never had an ATV or UTV that didn't kill brake pads in no time anyway so might as well buy the cheap ones.

Awh yeah, Fleebay was my friend when we were racing I bought and sold on there pretty much daily. That was before they got so money hungry. I don't know how those guys make any money selling on there now the way it is. I'm sure those really big sellers get a better deal than someone like me selling five or six parts a week. I tried one of those stores one time and by the time they finish with you with all the charges for this or that it would cost you six bucks to sell a four dollar part. I closed the store and once I settled up with them I almost broke even. And about a month later they sent me a note saying I had a $15.00 refund comming my way.......that was 16 years ago and I still haven't been able to figure out how to get it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got to agree, OEM is best for critical parts if or when you can get them! Most of our machines are old derelicts that my grandsons and I have brought back from the dead, and OEM parts are very often no longer available, but Partzilla and Parts Monster have been the best place to find them so far. We do a lot of searching on Ebay and Amazon, but often the parts you get there are chinesium, and a gamble as to whether they'll work or not.  We've been getting quite a few used parts from Power Sports Nation, and have been very happy with them.

• Like 1

All good info given above. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. The dollar is roughly 26% less than the USD. When I order from eBay I get taxed and usually customs duties plus the diff in the dollars so things get expensive fast. I always believed there is no duties on used parts but maybe I'm wrong. Also the shipper has to ship to eBay then they ship to me adding alot more time in transit. Amazon is pretty good but I have to be careful there about shipping times cause the part may be coming from China through a middle man. AliExpress is my go to place for most of my non OEM parts. I've had good luck, so far, with them. I just have wait about 3 weeks for arrival. I'm 70 yrs old and not paying 300.00 for a Polaris belt. Who has been making belts longer, Gates, Dayco or Polaris. The difference in price is crazy. I've had good luck with Gates as an average driver.

• 3 weeks later...

Any suggestions for electrical components?  I think my Stator got burned up.  got a 2005 kingquad 700.  pulling a harrow on a hot day and I think it was just too much for it.  anyway, I've found used OE stators on ebay, cheap aftermarket stators on ebay (caltric and others) and both of these are going in the 100-150 range.  but a new OE stator is nearly 600.  This is a job I dont want to do twice but man thats at least 4x the price of an aftermarket or used OE.  I'm sure the aftermarket isnt the same quality and I'm very reluctant to get a used stator even if it is OE.  I'm tempted to bite the built and spend the cash for a new OE.  any one with experience here?

5 hours ago, timberwolf357 said:

I bought a stator for a 98 polaris from Partzilla. it was around 230 bucks.

was it an aftermarket or oe Polaris branded stator?  what's been your experience with it?  if aftermarket, any issues installing it?  any issues with how its operated since install?