Quantcast

Aftermarket parts...

Just wondering where you guy's an Gal's get your parts. I love buying OEM stuff but sometimes they just cost to darn much for what they are. I know, I know everybody needs to make a living but dang! $ 97.00 for brake pads on one side of the front of my KingQuad. There has got to be a better way.

My first move is to take the OEM part number and hit Amazon and feebay.  sometimes you can get OEM on feebay quite a bit cheaper.  Ultimately, it depends on what parts though.  Case gaskets I'll buy whatever is cheap, head gasket OEM only.  Bearings I use measurements or cross reference and buy at the parts store because you can get good Timken many times as cheap as chinese junk.  Rings are OEM ONLY for me, timing chain is always DID.  Brake pads I'll buy chinese junk because I've never had an ATV or UTV that didn't kill brake pads in no time anyway so might as well buy the cheap ones.

• Like 1

I agree with MarkinAR. Critical parts especially when they are part of a serious re-build need to be OEM. It is not worth spending hours rebuilding an engine only to find that a cheap part failed (such as rings) or perform badly. However, brake pads / shoes and many other parts from China are perfectly acceptable and cost a fraction of the price. It is also important to remember that many of the OEM parts are made in China and are often sourced from the same Chinese manufacturer. I have also been very successful with carburetor kits (including jets) for all of my ATVs. It may be worthwhile creating a list of quality Chinese manufacturers on a forum on this platform. 

• Like 1

Living in South Africa, I do not have all the options that you guys do. We do not have Amazon, E-Bay or Partzilla in this country. Freight charges from the US or Europe are exorbitant. I either have to buy from a local Yamaha dealer (at silly prices) or order directly from China (AliExpress). AliExpress is so cheap that it makes up for the freight charges. For example a complete set of brake pads / shoes for my four ATVs cost approximately US$ 100 including freight and VAT.

5 hours ago, BruceG said:

I agree with MarkinAR. Critical parts especially when they are part of a serious re-build need to be OEM. It is not worth spending hours rebuilding an engine only to find that a cheap part failed (such as rings) or perform badly. However, brake pads / shoes and many other parts from China are perfectly acceptable and cost a fraction of the price. It is also important to remember that many of the OEM parts are made in China and are often sourced from the same Chinese manufacturer. I have also been very successful with carburetor kits (including jets) for all of my ATVs. It may be worthwhile creating a list of quality Chinese manufacturers on a forum on this platform. 

Thanks, and I think that would be a very good Idea, the list I mean. It's been quite awhile since we were racing and I have lost all my old part suppliers. I was running Yamahas then and at the time I was a Yamaha dealer so I got spoiled being able to buy parts at cost with free shipping and most of the time they were there the next day. I was never scared to use Weisco I never ever had a problem with a piston kit or a crank kit I got from them. I never worried too much about gaskets or seals either because most of the time they didn't stay on the engine that long because those bikes stayed fresh all the time. Two races was about the limit on a piston kit and the bottom end's were refreshed once a season or sometimes twice depending on haw many classes we decided to do that year. I had a spare engine that was ready to go and I have been known to change a whole engine between motos once or twice when it was a real important race and doing a top end between motos usually happened about once monthly. Some of the tracks were brutal on those 125's especially the real long long tracks like Birch Creek. Running three classes four laps each and by the last lap those bikes were running on a prayer and trust me I was very religous back in the day.LOL

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MarkinAR said:

My first move is to take the OEM part number and hit Amazon and feebay.  sometimes you can get OEM on feebay quite a bit cheaper.  Ultimately, it depends on what parts though.  Case gaskets I'll buy whatever is cheap, head gasket OEM only.  Bearings I use measurements or cross reference and buy at the parts store because you can get good Timken many times as cheap as chinese junk.  Rings are OEM ONLY for me, timing chain is always DID.  Brake pads I'll buy chinese junk because I've never had an ATV or UTV that didn't kill brake pads in no time anyway so might as well buy the cheap ones.

Awh yeah, Fleebay was my friend when we were racing I bought and sold on there pretty much daily. That was before they got so money hungry. I don't know how those guys make any money selling on there now the way it is. I'm sure those really big sellers get a better deal than someone like me selling five or six parts a week. I tried one of those stores one time and by the time they finish with you with all the charges for this or that it would cost you six bucks to sell a four dollar part. I closed the store and once I settled up with them I almost broke even. And about a month later they sent me a note saying I had a $15.00 refund comming my way.......that was 16 years ago and I still haven't been able to figure out how to get it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got to agree, OEM is best for critical parts if or when you can get them! Most of our machines are old derelicts that my grandsons and I have brought back from the dead, and OEM parts are very often no longer available, but Partzilla and Parts Monster have been the best place to find them so far. We do a lot of searching on Ebay and Amazon, but often the parts you get there are chinesium, and a gamble as to whether they'll work or not.  We've been getting quite a few used parts from Power Sports Nation, and have been very happy with them.

• Like 1

All good info given above. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. The dollar is roughly 26% less than the USD. When I order from eBay I get taxed and usually customs duties plus the diff in the dollars so things get expensive fast. I always believed there is no duties on used parts but maybe I'm wrong. Also the shipper has to ship to eBay then they ship to me adding alot more time in transit. Amazon is pretty good but I have to be careful there about shipping times cause the part may be coming from China through a middle man. AliExpress is my go to place for most of my non OEM parts. I've had good luck, so far, with them. I just have wait about 3 weeks for arrival. I'm 70 yrs old and not paying 300.00 for a Polaris belt. Who has been making belts longer, Gates, Dayco or Polaris. The difference in price is crazy. I've had good luck with Gates as an average driver.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any suggestions for electrical components?  I think my Stator got burned up.  got a 2005 kingquad 700.  pulling a harrow on a hot day and I think it was just too much for it.  anyway, I've found used OE stators on ebay, cheap aftermarket stators on ebay (caltric and others) and both of these are going in the 100-150 range.  but a new OE stator is nearly 600.  This is a job I dont want to do twice but man thats at least 4x the price of an aftermarket or used OE.  I'm sure the aftermarket isnt the same quality and I'm very reluctant to get a used stator even if it is OE.  I'm tempted to bite the built and spend the cash for a new OE.  any one with experience here?

5 hours ago, timberwolf357 said:

I bought a stator for a 98 polaris from Partzilla. it was around 230 bucks.

was it an aftermarket or oe Polaris branded stator?  what's been your experience with it?  if aftermarket, any issues installing it?  any issues with how its operated since install?

• 4 months later...

I use amazon mostly, just because of the ease of returns, if I don't like the part or feel its cheaply made, but so far I have been impressed with the quality, except for 1 ignition switch I bought, wires were to short could have fixed it easily, but sent it back and ordered a different one  it worked fine. I do use Ebay for unobtanium parts, can't find them anywhere. Generally iv noticed the ATV OEM used stuff is very expensive only a few dollars less than new. Example: I bought an air box off eBay for 50 very good shape but all i got was the box, I didn't get all the pieces I needed to put it all together, so by the time I got everything I needed I had very close to new OEM price. Lesson learned!!! 

On 6/13/2022 at 11:22 PM, Krazo said:

Any suggestions for electrical components?  I think my Stator got burned up.  got a 2005 kingquad 700.  pulling a harrow on a hot day and I think it was just too much for it.  anyway, I've found used OE stators on ebay, cheap aftermarket stators on ebay (caltric and others) and both of these are going in the 100-150 range.  but a new OE stator is nearly 600.  This is a job I dont want to do twice but man thats at least 4x the price of an aftermarket or used OE.  I'm sure the aftermarket isnt the same quality and I'm very reluctant to get a used stator even if it is OE.  I'm tempted to bite the built and spend the cash for a new OE.  any one with experience here?

Actually sometimes an aftermarket part is better than some of the OEM stuff. That is if it is made here and not some china knockoff. Back before china took over the world there were smaller companies that could supply just about any part you could think of and be as good if not better that OEM. Just because a part is OEM doesn't mean much when it comes to materials and workmenship. Now day though you can hardly find a aftermarket part that isn't made in china. 

Years ago when I was a boat dealer I used mostly aftermarket parts in our shop not because they were cheaper but because they were better, especially OMC parts. Sadly because of everyones lust for the cheapest parts they can find, Me included😯 I hate to say a lot of the older aftermarket companies are now gone because they just could not build stuff as cheaply as the crap that comes from china.  I'm sure there are some of those old companies that have managed to survive and you can find them you just have to look for them. I've been out of it for a long time now and find myself in the same place as you are and the search goes on.

Contrary to what so  many conservative Americans think, the Chinese and Asians are just as capable of making quality parts  as anyone, and North Americans  are just as capable of making junk as the Chinese and other Asians.

You want to try to bring some of the manufacturing back to the US? Bring back the tax regime of the'50's where companies and individuals were encouraged to  invest and re-invest in the US rather than  take their profits and  run offshore to  invest them while demanding more subsidies from the American taxpayers.  Don't blame  Asians for the tax and business decisions made at home.

• Like 2

You'd be amazed at how many big name American products are either made in China or are composed mainly of Chinese made parts made to  American specs by a company affiliated with an American one's foreign investment.  NAFTA  has nothing to do with it . As far as the orange one is concerned,, that scammer has cost the US far more than you realize.  Hopefully after November he will be called to task  for it.

On 6/14/2022 at 3:22 PM, Krazo said:

I've had stators rewound before for a good price, and done with better quality wire than the original too..

18 hours ago, davefrombc said:

Contrary to what so  many conservative Americans think, the Chinese and Asians are just as capable of making quality parts  as anyone, and North Americans  are just as capable of making junk as the Chinese and other Asians.

You want to try to bring some of the manufacturing back to the US? Bring back the tax regime of the'50's where companies and individuals were encouraged to  invest and re-invest in the US rather than  take their profits and  run offshore to  invest them while demanding more subsidies from the American taxpayers.  Don't blame  Asians for the tax and business decisions made at home.

Maybe some of them are capable. I remember when you couldn't buy much of anything that wasn't built in Japan and some of that stuff was built quite well. I also remember when you could by a tv made here and get 10 or 15 years out of it maybe more. Today, you are lucky to get 2 years out of one and the same with most electronics you buy. 

Unions and gubment regulations are pretty much the reason for American companies sending their products abroad to be manufactured. Unions were really good at making a $5 part cost $50 and this gubment's lust for control of anything and everything that's done here, not to mention it's never ending lust for more money to give away to one group or another. I wont carry this any farther here because it's not what this thread is about. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 11:22 PM, Krazo said:

Try these people you might find something there.

Charging (rmstator.com)

• 9 months later...
On 10/17/2022 at 8:53 PM, olddude said:

Actually sometimes an aftermarket part is better than some of the OEM stuff. That is if it is made here and not some china knockoff. Back before china took over the world there were smaller companies that could supply just about any part you could think of and be as good if not better that OEM. Just because a part is OEM doesn't mean much when it comes to materials and workmenship. Now day though you can hardly find a aftermarket part that isn't made in china. 

Years ago when I was a boat dealer I used mostly aftermarket parts in our shop not because they were cheaper but because they were better, especially OMC parts. Sadly because of everyones lust for the cheapest parts they can find, Me included😯 I hate to say a lot of the older aftermarket companies are now gone because they just could not build stuff as cheaply as the crap that comes from china.  I'm sure there are some of those old companies that have managed to survive and you can find them you just have to look for them. I've been out of it for a long time now and find myself in the same place as you are and the search goes on.

Hello. I added the center console. Very easy to install. Does anyone have it and do you like it?

• 2 weeks later...