Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Bill c

1986 Suzuki LT230GE will not start

I have this 1986 LT230GE that will not start without a shot of starting fluid. I have set the valves rebuilt the carburetor and will start after using starting fluid after it has sat idle for two or three days. any sugestions

Welcome to Quadcrazy. An 86!!!!!! Wow, thats great, good shape? 
Based on the year and what you have done it I would check the following.

1. Spark quality (maybe a tired ignition coil)

2. Compression (maybe a new piston/rings)

3. Check the intake boot that connects the carburetor to the engine for any cracks.  
4. is the starting rotation strong when cranking?

5. And lastly is the choke working properly?

• Like 1

yes have found that when i bought a kit to rebuild the carburetor it was not the right parts. the person sold me some parts and it was just a variety. there is no rebuild kit for that carburetor so removed a lot of the parts and put the  old ones back in and now it is getting better. I am also going to remove the tank filters and use an inline filter.

I did find the problem or i think i have and will explain what i done. I pulled the gas tank cleaned it and cut the little filters off the end of the two hoses and installed an inline filter. I then found the parts that I had taken out of the carburetor when i thought I rebuilt it and put them all back in the carburetor and by luck i still had them in a little plastic box. Put the carburetor back on pulled out the choke and in about 30 seconds it started and run great. It idles now and starts easy does not spit and sputter but still not going to put the fenders back on until i know for sure. I had called the guy at www.pjmotorsports.com and talked with him for about 15 minutes and he gave me some good advice  

willy and me 2.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Aleksandr Boreesenko
      doesn't idle at times but sometimes when it does as soon as I touch the throttle it just shuts off, what could possibly be the problem? I thank you very much for any help, Thanks.
    • By amharrison24
      i have a 91 moto 4 100. has electric start only. for as long as i could remember we have always pushed start it. after riding for while you shut it off. you are able to hit the start button and it will start right up. anyone know where i should start with fixing this issue? im fixing it up for my niece. thank you in advance.
    • By Steven Urban
      First time using this forum.  Owned a Kawasaki dirt bike once, had no issues.  But I picked up this 4 wheeler at an auction.  They stated it ran, but only needed a battery.  Well I do not believe that was all true.

Some pictures are attached.  Not sure why, but the whole air filter stuff was removed.  They had some small thing inserted as a make shift air filter.

I purchased a battery to try this all out.  Waiting to return it and get the proper size, as it was too big for the battery box.  But here is my issue I had while the battery was connected.

1 - The lights on the steering column did not come on.  Not sure if they work or not.

2 - The starter solenoid seems to be bad.  I have a new one on order. 

3 - In the pick, there is another rusted part.  Not sure what that part is or what it is used for.

4 - What is the 12v rectifier?  square bodied part.

So when I hooked the battery up.  Pushing the start button did nothing.  Pulling the cord to try and pull start, it turned, but would never fire.  I have put in a new spark plug as well, it looked worn out.  With electric start, I crossed over the posts on the start solenoid, it turned over, but would never fire and start.

I have read a few other threads and it stated something about needed the neutral light on.  SOmething about a kill switch.

Any help would be appreciated.

• By Steve Bethany Poston
      I just got an old YFM200DX Moto 4 and upon checking the oil in the rear differential I took out I assume the fill plug and it fished out old nasty oil. I plan on flushing the oil and replacing but was wanting to make sure if you drain bottom plug and just fill up to the check plug. Only thing I can think of someone filled it up by the breather on top? Plan on unhooking the hose and blowing it out tomorrow. I also do not have a service manual yet. Also right now the diff vent hose just goes up under the tank to nothing. Does it plug into back hole in the air box? Thanks 
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Ajmboy
      Disconnected the plow yesterday on my 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 and am getting ready to do some riding yesterday and the battery went weak, Starter cranked a few times but week. Put my trickle charger on that I bought and went to the garage today to start it up, but the starter is just spinning and not engaging. The solenoid is clicking. The pull start sucks and is hard to pull (never use it and need to look into that). Quick video of the starter spinning. Could it be the starter or  the starter clutch one-way bearing? I guess I need to take the cover off to see what's going on.

2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Starter Spinning.mp4
    • By William Edwards
      Hello,
      I'm new to the site.  My son and I have decided to bring back our old quad from the dead.  Does anyone know where we can purchase a cylinder kit for it.  I think it's a 1986, but will have to check the VIN to be sure.
      The last time it ran, it was tapping and smoking pretty bad.
      Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks!
    • By Arizona
      So few months ago I acquired a 01 Explorer 4x4 (think its a 350 but not sure) 
      Anyway the owner said it started reving very high, shut the key off and still kept running 
      until finally he shut off fuel and it finally died. During the run away he said the exhaust got 
      red hot and has melted plastics to prove it. Said some thing flew out the tail pipe, I kinda figured
      it was the top of the piston. Anyway finally got around to looking at it (have a lot of other projects in the works)
      and checked the compression, Shows about 40 psi. Can hear air coming out the carb while rotating the motor over. 
      Gonna pull it apart eventually, don't hear any noises or binding in the stroke, You think the piston came apart? 
      any horror stories of these and is it worth my effort and money? Don't really have any money in it yet. Thoughts? Az

• By John Dunn III
      Just bought a LT 230 anything I should watch for. It runs and drive good. Just don't want no surprises 
    • By Jeff Andersan
      1988 lt230 Suzuki
      Having problem with getting into neutral have to do it by hand to get into reverse keeps skipping into 2nd is there a adjustment I can do I'm new to this