Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Joe Dickerson

2001 Kawasaki Bayou 220 KLF Part Identify

I decided to replace the rings and piston on this machine because it looked like the plug was being fouled by oil. When I removed the right side of engine to inspect the clutch pack, I found 2 small round pieces with tiny expansion rings in the bottom cover. It looks like "clutch pawls" according to the illustration, but Id like to be sure. I saw that there are 4 of these in the new gasket set.

Can someone help me here?

I thank you in advance

Joe

20200306_160439.jpg

Hey joe. What your looking at there are valve stem seals.  They are supposed to sit on the base of the valve stem under the valve cover. They are inside the valve spring.  
It would make sense on the fouling of the plug but they cant come off unless they are split or the valve comes out. So either someone left them inside the engine or they are split ? 

72EF17B8-9D8E-4DDB-9991-8362F4EAF16E.jpeg

458E5DDF-7D9F-4B75-839C-584912754084.jpeg

• Like 1

That's interesting that they were loose like that, someone must have been in there.

Posted (edited)

Looks like some sloppy work has been done before, like said they can only come off when the valves break.

Edited by Erik Plug
Typo

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Ben Cramp
      I am hoping one of you knowledgable people can answer this for me. I have a yfm200 moto 4 engine I want to put in an off road go kart. I would like to mount a sproket where the drive exits the case before the u joint so that I can get rid of drive shaft and make engine bay compact. To do this I would mount engine 90° to axle but would also need to tilt it forward 15° to account for the angle the drive exists rear of casing. Would that be ok? Would oil pump etc still work. Any advice greatly recieved.

• By Sonders
      Hey all, I recently bought an 01' Sportsman 500 HO from my brother in-law that he's had since new.  It runs awesome, just has 2 slight issues that I am addressing.  1st issue is fuel dripping out of overflow.  I did some searching around and saw that the O-rings in the carb wear out and allow fuel to leak, so I replaced both the Orings inside the carb.  This didn't fix it and still leaking which leads me to believe the float needs adjusted, I'm just not sure on correct way to check and correct this.  2nd issue is no speedometer.  Also in researching this it appears to be Hall Effect/speed sensor.  I'll be ordering one of those to replace, which sounds like a pretty straight forward process.  I guess really my only reason for the post is to get some help on the gas leak issue.  Any thoughts?  Other than that, I love the bike and really enjoy riding it.  Thanks in advance for any replies.
    • By JacobSlabach
      got 7 atvs off CL recently for a good price.  one of which is a yamaha warrior.  anyone know where the vin is printed on this bike?  Haha good place to start as I do not know year or size yet.  The former owner says needs exhaust ans and clutch work.  he said it ran fine until the clutch cable broke and then I couldn't get the new cable adjusted right and it would grind gears.  things I see:  clutch cable locked up again, no brakes, carb leaking (green with algae around the bowl and has gelled gas stalagtights on it), aftermarket exhaust melted the airbox so I need something different and a new air box.  I would like the use the current exhaust if I can but I have a feeling its a redneck fix as it looks like there is an ace bandage holding it to the exhaust pipe (its an aftermarket slip-on exhaust), so I'm not sure about that- lets get the bike running first.  also, battery (looks brand new, what a shame) is dead, 0 volts.  Otherwise, bike looks to have not been wrecked, and plastics are ok (it sat outside under a 'tarp' for 3+ years since it was run last).  any tips and advise on where to start first would be awesome as this is my first clutched bike (manual).
      the clutch is my main concern- I've never rode a clutched bike so I dont even know what its supposed to feel like.  lol I'm spoiled on my automatic polaris 
    • By Tiffany Rowland
      I am working on a Honda sportrax I just got my daughter for get birthday and the reverse and neutral light are not working. When I traced the wire down I saw that it wasn't plugged in but I don't see where it is supposed to connect. Does any one have a general idea of where I should look?

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Brother Buddy Gardner
      Hello everyone! I recently purchased this quad for a mere 300.00 and it is pretty clean for the year. I bought it from a guy who bought it in a storage unit. He didn’t know anything about it. I got it home and noticed it did not have an ignition coil for the spark plug. I bought the ignition coil, a new battery, new CDI box, new starter relay, new safety neutral relay, new carb and so on... I got it to turn over, but when I pull the plug and check for spark I have nothing.. it has a non factory starter button that works when I push it and turns the engine over no matter if the key or stop switch is on or off..not sure what that’s all about, but it does turn over..just no spark at the plug. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    • By Tom Pavlak
      Hi Everyone - Need some help.
      Got a nice little 220...clean machine. wiring is a mess. I have a diagram however, the one I have has 4 wires coming from the ignition switch not 2 like mine. So, I cant trace wires properly.
      There is a white one that runs to the Solenoid, and a brown wire...from the Ignition...I dont know where its supposed to go. Also, on the Solenoid, there are 3 wires..W to ignition, B to start relay and B/Y runs up to the front of the machine...and is not plugged into anything...and there isnt a "Mate" missing it. How do they plug into the 4 open shovels by the 20A fuse?
      I'm pretty sure my Lights and start switch/Lights are correct.
      Problem I cant get anything...new battery...cant get the start button to work, cant get any power to the lights or switches...so I know something is not grounded or..
      Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      Tom
    • By Michael Rogers
      Ok, another newbie post here. Checking this stuff out in issues with lost compression. Wondering if anyone can tell by the pics and video of the cam is good, and whether you can see anything visibly with the valves and timing gear.
      Any input would be a great help. Been researching  youtube videos, but just not sure.
      2000 Bayou 220
      Valves
      I could test the exhaust, it looked like it was opening, closing and seating ok, but not sure about the intake.
      Gear

CAM - looks like some wear on the outer ridges on both in spots, and one lobe to me looks kind of weird, but I don't know.

Thanks

• By Michael Rogers
      Well this is my first time tearing down an ATV. Have done a little work on 2 stroke's in the past, but not much. I'm needing some help. I've got a Bayou that has lost compression. I tested it, and it was like at 40psi. I had already set the timing on it, and it does have spark fuel, etc...
      My question is about the cylinder. To me it looks pretty toasted, but need some help in determining. It is a 2000 Kawasaki Bayou 220. I bought it not running, just to see if I can get it running so it has not ran since I bought it. This question is about the cylinder, and part 2 I have will be about the CAM.
      Any advice / help is greatly appreciated.
      Inside sleeve a line(left line) runs the length that I can feel with my fingernail. The line on the right I can't feel.

Some rust it looks like on these two pictures.

Thanks!
    • By Mike Strayhorn
      last year I bought led lights when I was riding my 4 wheeler the lights started getting dim shut off
      now my 4 wheeler will not start the battery is hot everything is dead I checked the fuse and its good 
      would there be another fuse I am missing I'm took the led bulbs out and replaced them with the ones that was in there 
      wonder what meh problem is