Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

1994 Kawasaki Bayou 220 Carburator

I recently acquired 1994 Bayou 220 (leaks oil, leaks gas).  Beginning by cleaning carb.  When I took the float bowl off, the brass overflow tube is not straight (see image).  I am not sure if this is "right" or was damaged/modified at some point (although I can't image why).  I have looked for an image or drawing that would show this clearly with no luck.  Should this tube be straight vertical; and if so, should I attempt to straighten it, replace it, or leave it be (not sure if this would effect the required float level setting as the end of the tube sits just a little lower at the angle).  Prob putting too much thought into this, but any info would help!

Thanks!!FloatBowl.thumb.JPG.d1576679a0362a84a2589a0ed68c2526.JPG

It should be straight, I have a couple of chinese clone carbs for a bayou 220 in the shop and they are all straight.  I don't think it would try to straighten it though b/c that brass is pretty soft.  If it were to break off down low then the bowl wouldn't hold any fuel.  It should be fine as it is if you don't have another bowl to use.  That's just there so if the float sticks it allows fuel a way out instead of flooding the head with fuel.  BTW, that bowl gasket looks like dirty ass. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By BrunoNogueira91
      Hello, I am restoring a bayou 220 here in Brazil, I have a question regarding the rear brake activated by the lever on the left side. The ex-owner connected it in place of the reverse cable and as this is incorrect, could someone show me through pictures where I correctly connect the rear brake cable? Another thing, every time you reverse, is it necessary to activate the reverse key?
    • By sammyshin
      Hey so i have a 1990 bayou 220, and its missing the wiring harness so i went online and bought a bayou 300 wiring harness by mistake. Will it work if i use the 220’s cdi box and ignition coil?
    • By yugnats
      Hi all, I was gifted this Bayou but she's been sitting quite some time. It won't crank using the factory start button but when I jumper the starter solenoid it cranks but there is no spark. The key has power coming in on the white wire and when turned on supplies power to the brown wire coming out.

I guess I should start with testing the pickup? I heard I may be able to jumper the wires coming from the pickup with an LED bulb and it will flash? I noticed in the manual that it should have around 110 ohms resistance so I'll check that as well. One thing I noticed was that the starter circuit relay has power on one of the black wires with the key on- this doesn't seem normal as I'm assuming the black wires are grounds? I think one of them comes from the start switch, travels through the starter circuit relay and then grounds the starter relay?
      Mine is a 1991 so it has the 7 wire CDI (ignitor) and a 2 yellow wire alternator ( as opposed to the later 3 wire type ) with another 2 wires for the source coils (black & red wires ). The pickup wires are blue and black I do believe. Any help appreciated and yes I will test the pickup ASAP.

I'm trying to understand how the system works and I don't understand what the yellow / red wire from the kill switch does- I assume it gets grounded when the kill switch is "on" and therefore grounds the CDI so it can't activate the ignition coil? I noticed in the diagram that that yellow / red wire looks like it may be grounded by the ignition key switch when in the "off" position?
      I also don't have 12v power at any of the wires going into the CDI- doesn't the CDI need to be powered? I also read on this forum that someone used a GM HEI module in place of the factory CDI just to test it for spark- does anyone have any info on that?

I hope I'm not missing something simple!
      Here is a link to the diagram for my bike (which was posted by another user): https://www.quadcrazy.com/atvforum/topic/13742-1988-bayou-220-lost-spark/?tab=comments#comment-101193

Any help appreciated!

• By tnhomestead
      Just was given a 220 bayou, turns over and was wired by a crazy mouse on drugs helped by a committee of politicians taking advice from lil green folk from Mars! This is going to be fun. Claimed the stator was bad. My other project is an old lakota, died driving with no spark and has sat for a bit due to building a house n life! In other words,I may need lots of advice!
    • By Brother Buddy Gardner
      Hello everyone! I recently purchased this quad for a mere 300.00 and it is pretty clean for the year. I bought it from a guy who bought it in a storage unit. He didn’t know anything about it. I got it home and noticed it did not have an ignition coil for the spark plug. I bought the ignition coil, a new battery, new CDI box, new starter relay, new safety neutral relay, new carb and so on... I got it to turn over, but when I pull the plug and check for spark I have nothing.. it has a non factory starter button that works when I push it and turns the engine over no matter if the key or stop switch is on or off..not sure what that’s all about, but it does turn over..just no spark at the plug. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!