Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

1991 Yamaha YMF100 Moto 4 Electric Start Issue

i have a 91 moto 4 100. has electric start only. for as long as i could remember we have always pushed start it. after riding for while you shut it off. you are able to hit the start button and it will start right up. anyone know where i should start with fixing this issue? im fixing it up for my niece. thank you in advance.

• Ajmboy changed the title to 1991 Yamaha YMF100 Moto 4 Electric Start Issue

• 3 weeks later...

I know I made a post a little while ago about rebuilding my four wheeler and it having a starting issue. Just a little update. I replaced the battery and starter relay. Neutral light comes on hit start button and relay is clicking. Is it possibly a ground issue? I will be checking voltage later on after work. Just thought I would get a little advice before I get off. Oh also I did run wires from the battery to start to bench test it, it does turn. Thank you in advance for the help. 

• Ajmboy changed the title to 1990 Yamaha YFM100 Starting Problems
41 minutes ago, amharrison24 said:

I know I made a post a little while ago about rebuilding my four wheeler and it having a starting issue. Just a little update. I replaced the battery and starter relay. Neutral light comes on hit start button and relay is clicking. Is it possibly a ground issue? I will be checking voltage later on after work. Just thought I would get a little advice before I get off. Oh also I did run wires from the battery to start to bench test it, it does turn. Thank you in advance for the help. 

I merged your new topic with your existing one. If your relay is clicking, I would jump the relay to see if the starter engages. If not, might be a bad starter, poor ground, or loose connection. Good thing is you are getting power to the relay, now you just need to see why the starter isn't getting the power from there.  

I'd bet the brushes are bad in the starter.  Try holding the start button down and giving the starter a tap with a wrench.  I bet it'll pop right off.  When it's warm, metal expands a bit and I bet the change in tolerances lets the brushes contact.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By wiwild
      Hello everyone !
      I'm currently rebuilding my carburetor on my Yamaha moto 4 350 1987, first time I rebuild a carb 😅 ! It was leaking fuel from the overflow and inside the intake ....
      When I took off needle (the platic top part was stuck like crazy) I had a spring and inside the kit there is a spring, an O-Ring and a washer. 
      Left is the needle that was in the carburetor and right is the new set (I already tried to mount it but it didn't felt right and I accidentally broke the o-ring)
      Anyway, I saw in some videos and diagram that there is no spring in here. So should I put the spring back ? And where ? On top of the needle or bottom ?

This is an original Mikuni carb :

Thank you ! Also if you have any additionnal tips please feel free to share I want to learn the proper way !
    • By Edgar5656
      Looking for a carb for 87 moto4 200. Just bought the machine and it’s got a Chinese one that’s not working right even after I cleaned it out. Looking for the original mikuni vm22sf. 
    • By erk mann
      What is the trick to remove the carburetor  on a 1987 moto4 350? 

• By Steve Bethany Poston
      I just got an old YFM200DX Moto 4 and upon checking the oil in the rear differential I took out I assume the fill plug and it fished out old nasty oil. I plan on flushing the oil and replacing but was wanting to make sure if you drain bottom plug and just fill up to the check plug. Only thing I can think of someone filled it up by the breather on top? Plan on unhooking the hose and blowing it out tomorrow. I also do not have a service manual yet. Also right now the diff vent hose just goes up under the tank to nothing. Does it plug into back hole in the air box? Thanks 
    • By Diesel Dave
      Hi there, I am a new member and have never used a forum before. I own a 250 moto 4, has smoked since I got it.
      Oil consumption has increased, I removed the crank case breather pipe and have a catch can under frame at front. Smoke has not changed. also after more than 20 hrs use during lock down there is a very small amount of oil come out the breather.
      Compression seems very high, engine turns not too bad if stopped for up to 20 mins but much more than that it is difficult to turn engine past tdc. (poss almost hydrolocked?) if left for a couple of hours or more it then turns over easier. Also if spark plug is removed. I would have expected oil to come out when turning engine with spark plug out. 
      I suspect oil is getting down valve guides? smoke is worst during warm up. The starter motor has not worked since before I owned it and I have modified pull start as the pressure on it was causing problems.  I am about to check valve clearances this morning before I get going.  I do not want to dismantle while lock down is on as I am using it daily.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated, Dave