Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

donerightautomotive84

2000 Polaris Sportsman 500 wont stay running

Ok so 2000 sportsman new.caltric carb new fuel pump new jug and piston new cdi and coil finally get to start it and itll idep for 5 to 10 seconds and die what am i missing people any help id love ya forever lol

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

I'd start by connecting an inline spark tester to it so you can watch ignition while it's running. When the engine quits, so you still have spark? If so, then it's on to checking out the fuel system.

I do have an inline spark tester and will check that out this weekend as its currently pulled apart again i went ahead and prdered a fuel valve (old one had just started leaking right after i originally posted) and another fuel pump both will be here friday abd my buddy has a brand new caltric carb im going to put on it at the same time so hopefully i can rule the fuel system out all together. Im also cleaning my tank and the pickups in it at same time hopefully all works after. Ive tested the etc and its working right so im pretty sure its not the problem.

Could also be timing.  If the timing is off just right it'll fire on the exhaust stroke and seem to run when in fact it's really only exploding and not running correctly.

If it had bad fuel lines, that could make things worse alright. If they disintegrate then there might be more crud in the carb you just replaced/cleaned.

Sounds fuel related. Too much or too little fuel to keep it going. You would smell the gas if it was too much, my guess its too little. I would add a clear fuel filter before the carb to see if any debris may be getting to and clogging up the carb. Takes very little to cause a lot of headache...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ok f
Cleaned the carb oyt didnt really find anything concerning reassembled it no change. Choke doesnt change the lebgth of time it runs. Am i missing somekind of sensor or switch that could be causing this.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By technofarmer
      Hey there, i have recently put a new drive belt on my 11 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.    It has 44 miles since putting the new belt on and should be nearly broken in as i hear it takes 50 miles to do so?  Anyhow it has had a little trouble with slipping since i put the new one on a few months ago. Now whenver i go down a hill the belt seems to be getting caught in one clutch if not both and then it has to run a high rpm just to go a low speed.  Today it did that again going down hill, i stopped, put it in neutral and when going back up the hill i had to turn it off, put it in neutral, let it roll back down the hill a little, then restart it, low range and it was slipping but thankfully i was able to make it up the hill. 

So what might the problem be? Is this a need for another new belt? New clutches and belt? Or just get something else? BTW the brand new belt i put on it, is a factory one, an exact replacement for the original.   

• By Rooftop777
      Can't figure out whats wrong, battery good, charging fine but speedometer needle flashing. I know my fuel sending unit is not working but atv was working well last year. Now it was blowing fuses. I did engine code check but none there. Gas gauge flashes and shows FUEL in capital letters. Need help as just cannot figure this out,
      I might pull the fuel pump out and put new float as likely saturated. Don't know if that would give me all these problems ??
      thanks
    • By Chase Cook
      Have a 2001 polaris sportsman 500 4x4 atv and when I put coolant in the radiator it starts leaking from the exhaust. The valves are sealed but it stopped making compression. Do I need to just replace the head? I just rebuilt the hole top end and this is the only thing +valves that I have not replaced and was wondering if that is why it's not starting up. Need answers please.
    • By Aaron Drost
      Hello bought my 2000 polaris sportsman 500 last week bike seems to work pretty good untill yesterday, when in reverse the bike seems to start bogging out? How come? 
    • By technofarmer
      Well its finally happened, its time to replace the belt on my 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.   Is there anything specific i need to know before getting into it? Is there one brand of belt i should get over another?   I'm still on my first Polaris and plan to keep it at least another 8 years.