Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

VikingTrad3r

1992 timberwolf 250 2wd will only start if the neutral light is OFF

picked up my third timberwolf 250 for my daughters.  these are great light weight little quads.

have a strange one for you.  the quad will NOT start in neutral.  it will start in first. 

if i lift up on the gear selector just enough to hear the little click (its not loud, sounds like a contact clicking, perhaps the neutral safety switch?) the light will go out, but it won't yet be in first either.  that is how i have shown my daughter to start it and she can.

id like to carry out whatever repair is needed.  i have the pdf of the shop manual but it doesn't really have a flow through diagram.

any help appreciated!  thank you.

i need to add something.  it feels like i can switch into another gear BELOW neutral.  

so if i switch to neutral, i can keep pushing the gear selector, and it has another click below the neutral.  the light stays on, and when i pull up into first it kind of feels like it has two positions it moves through to arrive at first.

Since I am not familiar with the Timberwolf , I  can  only guess at a possibility from your description. My best guess is the neutral  switch or the mechanism that activates it is either loose or broken so that it is out of position. It may be a simple adjustment and tightening required.  Open  it up and have a look. Starting in gear  is unsafe, especially for a  young rider.

im back with more info.

first, the reason it felt like i could shift below neutral is because the shifter leaver was loose. thats fixed. 

but the main issue remains:  here is an update, 

1. the reverse indicator switch is broken down on the left side of trans. i dont think that affects the starting circut though. ive ordered the switch. 

2. it WILL START if its in neutral, but only i have the neutral switch unplugged. IE, the neutal light is OFF. 

so something about the neutral light being ON when im in neutral, stops the quad from starting. 

its like there something reversed somewhere. 

the quad is ONLY. supposed to start when the neutral  light is on but instead it will only start when its off. 

Yeah well that wasn't very successful now was it... I see there is a service manual in here though.. and that the circuit's got diodes in it.. and several switches.. 

Out with the test light..

thnx. yeah i looked in my manual got the wiring diagram and it looks like its got to be in the relay. something is reversed in the relay. will inspect. wont be surprised if a bubba messed with it

Ha..  Could be.. 

I'd try and disconnect the switches and check they are adjusted and working right first thing though..

Edited by Mech

switches are functioning properly. 

ive discovered something else. the reverse indicator light bulb is mia. so was the reverse switch. installed rev switch. 

had s bulb laying around, blew rev i dicator bulb immediately.  bulb mau be too wussy though  

anybody know where i get a replacement bulb?  this is for the little red bulb  the actual bulb  

i tested the reverse position indicator light socket/receptacle and its showing 12.4 volts. the little bulbs i put in were rated for 2.4 volts. so i think that explains why they glowed very bright for a second then burnt out. 

so does anyone know where i can get a real reverse indicator light?  it would be the same as the neutral light id imagine

Auto parts store should have one.. Take a sample.