Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

matw

1997 yamaha timberwolf 250

At a loss...

Runs/starts great when jumped across solenoid. Solenoid has been replaced. Battery has been tested and is good. Doesnt start with start button but starter will engage when machine is running if button is pushed. Machine also is not charging.  Regulator has been replaced. Stator has been tested and passes all 3 phases voltage and open to ground all 3 phases.  Lights work great with machine running and battery disconnected. Starter solenoid relay has been replaced.

Any help or suggestion much appreciated. I do not have a wiring diagram or manual which i probably should try and get.

Thanks

I well let’s start with the won’t start issue. Is there a way for you to trace the starter button on handle bar and use a multimeter to check if the switch is good? Make sure the kill switch,neutral switch, etc anything that would prevent it from starting is actually disengaged.

As for not charging does the atv have a seperate voltage regulator and rectifier or is it all one unit? Also never underestimate the problems a simple bad ground will cause.

starter button works when machine is running.  if i push the starter button while the machine is running, i can hear the starter engage.   The machine has a single unit regulator/rectifier.  yes, a bad ground or connection is often overlooked. 

It sounds like the key switch isn't letting power get through from the battery to all the ignition fed things, and it's not letting the charging power back through from the charging to the battery. But when the motor's running the charging's running everything that should normally be fed from the battery. so the lights and starter work.

Hope that makes sense.

wow...thats great advice. Experience is a beautiful thing.  I will look into that tomorrow and i will post results of my investigation. Thanks Alot!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By emoyer105
      I have a Yamaha Timberwolf 250 2x4 that I purchased a while ago as a project. I fixed it up to where everything was working great in my opinion, however when I showed it to a potential buyer he complained about a vibration from the rear drive shaft. (Which I ridiculous seeing as he tried to wheelie it before that) Anyways I took the rear diff apart and found most of the seals and bearings where bad. So I bought a kit off of amazon only to find that it doesn’t have all of the bearings and seals. After finding that I decided to try to find a used good condition replacement but they’re all to expensive for me so is there a better alternative for me, or can someone point me in the right direction to get the rest of the parts?

• By dgk_mike
      It will go into neutral, 1st, 2nd, and reverse but nothing after 2nd gear. The shifter moves freely going up completely nothing but when you shift down it works. I’m not sure if it’s tranny issue worth messing with or if I should just buy a new one.  Overall besides that the thing runs like new.