Quantcast

2006 Polaris Sportsman 500HO 4x4- stalling only when accelerated

Hi All! So, I have this ATV. it ran perfectly fine all up until we took it out after a snow to play. then is started stalling only when i would accelerate. It will run at idle all day long. Any ideas on what to do. I also tried to see if it was going to throw a code and it produced nothing. However, it will occasionally throw the wrench symbol every once in a while. Any help would be appreciated. 

Could be a bit of water in the gas or trash in the throttle body.  I'd drain the tank and refill with fresh non ethanol gas and see if that helps.  Then move on to cleaning the throttle body.  Might also take a look at the plugs, they may just be coincidentally crapping out.

• 7 months later...
Hi All! So, I have this ATV. it ran perfectly fine all up until we took it out after a snow to play. then is started stalling only when i would accelerate. It will run at idle all day long. Any ideas on what to do. I also tried to see if it was going to throw a code and it produced nothing. However, it will occasionally throw the wrench symbol every once in a while. Any help would be appreciated. 
I had this same problem. Check the harness at the tps . My wire was broke at the plug.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Hi. It sounds like a fuel problem. If you throttle off a bit when it starts to die does it recover ? If/when you open the throttle, does it start to die immediately or does it pull for a few seconds before faltering ? How is it when you restart it after it's stalled ?

I don't now about this snow business, but if ethanol fuel freezes or absorbs water from the air in cold weather then do as suggested and change the fuel.

Probably the next easiest thing to do it first of all check that the fuel is flowing to the carby. Take the fuel hose off the carby and put it into a bottle and start the motor and check there is a good full flow of fuel coming through. If there is, then it probably needs the carby working on. Before pulling the carby off and to bits I'd use the drain bung on the bottom of the carby to drain the carby and I'd try to catch the fuel, or watch very carefully for any water coming out. Next I'd take the diaphragm cover off the top of the carby(it can be done in place), lift it and the slide it's attached to out and check the diaphragm doesn't have a tiny hole or tear in it, and at the same time check the needle that hangs down from the slide the diaphragm's attached to can't slide up and down in the slide. If all those things are ok it's probably time to take the carby off and strip and clean it.

Edited by Mech