Quantcast

2001 King Quad 300 oil leak

k1ngquad

Sorry for double post but i dont know how to edit my previous post, if you follow my link No12 and No13 are gaskets under the nuts, may its from there the oil is leaking? Or the plug No17.

Doesnt seem to be a gasked there, but a little bit of the liquid gasked  Permatex the rightstuff, its expensive but works good, gasolin resistent aswell 😃

• 2 months later...

Chances are it's leaking out of your exhaust valve inspection cap (15). Change the o-rings (16) which are likely dried out and flat like a turd on a bad stretch of road. You can buy OEM ones  (09280-30001)

for too much money, or get them from your local hardware store for around $1 each. Spec is (D:3.0, ID:29.5) which means a 3mm thick o-ring with an inside diameter of 29.5 mm. I found ones that were 3mmX30mm which worked perfect. Stopped my smokeshow, it should stop yours.

• 2 months later...

Yup.. there's no gasket under the cover, just sealer. I doubt that's where the leak is coming from. The valve adjusting caps or the decompression lever's shaft seal do leak quite often though. First thing to do though is to identify where the leak's coming from. Clean the top end with a bit of petrol and a hose off, then run the engine while you sit and watch, or go for a short run and check for leaks before it's had a chance to spread oil all around again.

The valve cover's are real easy to change, and the decompression lever and shaft pull straight out together once you've removed one bolt going down through the cam cover. The bolt is the one near the outer end of the shaft. Take note of where the spring goes, and it's a bit of a struggle to get it back into place as you refit the shaft, but it can be done with some pliers on the spring to wind it into tension as you push the shaft in the last ten mills or so.