Quantcast

Anyone had luck with aftermarket "complete" primary clutch setups?

loudsubz

Toying with the idea of rebuilding my primary (and buying or building whatever special tools I need) or just buying a complete aftermarket setup.

Some brands like NICHE I have heard very bad things about but there are some from East Lake Axle and another company that gets decenet feedback on amazon. Anyone gone this route and can shed some light?

Hey Loudsubz Guy ... Not sure exactly what machine you're riding, but I have bought several complete aftermarket primary clutches for my Can-Am's. Both a 2011 800 & my 2014 1000 Outlander & have good luck. Except for the CVTech clutch. I can't recommend that one because I had issues with it on my machine. (Chewed up belts)

I've had two models of QSC clutches as well as an STM primary. All were great clutches

I've also rebuilt my factory primary (& secondary) and installed a Dalton Clutch kit, which I am currently running on my machine. I'm also running an STM Secondary Clutch.

Rebuilding your clutch will be cheaper, not counting the tools, but a good aftermarket clutch is an awesome way to go IMO.

One thing about East Lake axles thou. I tried one, the axle shaft was a smaller diameter than the factory axles & it was a little to long, which wouldn't let the brake hub tighten up, so I personally, wouldn't recommend that brand either. I've had good luck with Super ATV Rhino axles & have replaced both rear axles to that brand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, loudsubz said:

its for a polaris sportsman but thanks for the recommendations 

Sure thing. BTW, STM does have clutches for Polaris machines, but I didn't see anything for a 1999 year machine. I checked Dalton Clutch parts & didn't see anything for that year of machine there either. Hopefully you can still get parts for that year machine from the dealer & rebuild your clutch.

Good Luck!!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm also in the market for a replacement driven clutch (Sportsman 500/1999 EBS). There's not many aftermarket options available, but have found this retailer on ebay. Looks like a decent deal since the original clutch doesn't have many parts that aren't obsolete. Curious if anyone has any feedback on this brand.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/115193389920?hash=item1ad20fa360%3Ag%3ADvEAAOSwOa1h4jxT&LH_ItemCondition=3

• Like 1

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered one of their secondary clutches. It is an updated style that looks perfect for this old Sportsman that is in ok shape for a 23 year old quad.

Of course, the puller I ordered from Amazon turned out to be the wrong size. Grrrr! It even shows it fitting all the years/models including this one but no bueno....

Have ordered one made by EPI so that should be correct. The clutch will cost approx. $500 cdn. but they're not that easy to come by. 

• Like 1