Quantcast

New to quads was given a Suzuki quadrunner 230

Chevydog

New to the quads my neighbor just gave me an old Suzuki quadrunner 230. It has been sitting on his trailer in the back 40 for 7 years since it last ran so I figured it would be a good winter project.  Not sure of the year I believe late 80’s 

I am sure I will have lots of questions but for now just searching the forums for info.

• Admin changed the title to New to quads was given a Suzuki quadrunner 230

do you know the exact year? If you can grab the serial number (should be on the frame (back left upright) you can type it into the decoder and find out the year. Then you can go look it up on Suzuki Parts House and see some diagrams.

I am not familiar with that bike but I don't think it is 4x4. If it is the front pumpkin would have its own drain plug and a different type of fluid needed. The crank case oil should be working as your gear oil as well on the rear end. That is the way all of my old (90 models) Suzuki Quad Runners and my new King Quad (2020) are set up. Just make sure that you use a proper ATV oil. Don't use regular automotive oil, the ATV oil as additives in it to help with extra job functions.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, I found the serial number and it is a 91. Are these things 2 stroke or just straight gas ? I just rebuilt all the brakes and took it for a short run down the road to make sure it shifted ok . It runs not too bad, I did notice that it seemed hot when I came back in cyl head temp was around 300f and exhaust was 250 or so. Gear box was around 100 not sure if this is normal ?

If it is a four stroke engine it runs on straight gas.  I have a Quad runner 250 and it is a similar engine.  It only takes oil in the crankcase from what I know.  My engine always ran a little hot but 300 F does sound like a lot though.  I would make sure the mixture is right, if it is running to lean (not enough fuel) it will get hot because fuel cools the engine.  There should be a mixture screw on the carburetor turn it out a 1/4 turn and see if the temperature decreases.

The idle mixture screw only effects the idle running and won't make it run hot... A lean high speed mixture will though. 

And, not that it's really important, but for your information CalebM, the reason they run hot if lean isn't because fuel cools the motor, but because a lean mixture burns slowly and the flame has more time to heat the cylinder. The same's true of a retarded spark, the late ignition point means the fuel's still burning as the piston gets a long way down the cylinder and there is more opportunity for the heat to soak into the cylinder. It works the same way in a diesel if pushed.. the fuel being injected for longer means there's more time and area for the heat to soak in, or, what's normally noticed, the exhaust temp goes right up real fast.

Edited by Mech

• 4 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Mhatayas
      What should I do about this , bad oil leak where the filter cover bolts on . Can I use some gasket maker 

• By Uglyside38
      I have a 1988 Quadrunner 250 2wd. My brother in law sold it to my son for $20...had been sitting outside for several years. Got it home and had it running in about 30 mins. Ran it a bit and then went to looking at the carb as it was having trouble idling. Was getting it pretty close, then started losing spark...Also, it wouldn't start up every time...only about 1 in 5 tries. Anyway...now, it has what I can only describe as "intermittent" spark. I can get 1 light spark right when the start button is pressed and sometimes one when it's released...but none while cranking. 🤷‍♂️

I have replaced the spark plug, ignition coil/wire, and traced wires best I can. I noticed a couple frayed wires at the pickup coil where it enters the case. So, now I have the cover off, stator and pickup coil out and trying to test the coil. I do have about 114 ohms resistance for pickup best I can tell. And I can read minute voltage when I drag a magnet across it. Could it still be bad? Can a bad ignition switch/button cause this? (I did have the switch off to oil the choke cable)...pulling rope makes no difference though...any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!!! It's the intermittent part that's throwing me off! 

• By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By Louznmemind
      Howdy y'all, I'm trying to fix a neighbors 2015 Brute Force 300. Came in with hard to start and won't idle except on choke issue. I pulled the carb and found the pilot jet as well as the emulsion tube partially clogged. Cleaned up everything, put it back together, still having issues...  It will start right up on choke and will also start off choke if you give it just a touch of throttle but it absolutely will not idle unless it's choked just a touch. Also, excuse my ignorance but I'm assuming the "dial" thingy attached to the carb that turns in and out is for setting idle?? 
    • By Gwbarm
      I have been exploring all the options available, so many, its hard to choose. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, and Kind of looking at the Outlander, although its a little small,  the new one is nice looking. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or gripes with any of these rides. I have driven Jeeps for the past 25  years and they have been great, but their price point has gotten to high. Expieriences good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!