Quantcast

NEW HISUN AXIS RHINO CLONES ANY GOOD ?

I also just ran across the Chinese-made ATV's, was shocked that you can buy a 250 new for ~ $2,000.  Hoping to see folks who have knowledge chime in here with their experiences, whether positive or negative.  The 3 YT videos I've watched so far seemed to show a machine that is a decent value for the $$$ but have not yet seen one with any evaluation after several hundred miles of use.

Most of the Chinese clones from TSC, Lowes, etc, are OK for what they are.  Reliability seems to be ok for a few years, value is pretty high.  They're not going to run 20+ years trouble free like a Japanese one and repair parts and support are hard to come by.  Like anything imported; decent value for the money in the short term, depreciating quickly over time.

• Like 1

TY for that evaluation, Mark-

Any idea about how one of those 250 Tao Tao [or whatever they are] might do for snowplowing if chained up?  Our snow is usually pretty dry and fluffy and I try to get on it before it has a chance to thaw/refreeze.  My usual plowing chore takes about 45 mins with that Bayou 300 [no chains] for a 6-10" dump on a 200' drive plus about 2000 sq ft parking.

For $2000 and change I could buy one of those TaoTao's, plow with it this year while I tinker with the Bayou and then sell it once I'm up and running again...

Edited by OldDawg
Fat fingers...

Tao Tao and about a dozen other Chinese brands are really just 80's Honda technology.  They copied the patents on stuff as soon as the patent expired.  Parts aren't usually interchangeable, but you can see where they just copied an old Honda motor.  The are ok, not extremely reliable, but you'd probably get a winter out of it (I say probably because I've seen them crap out in a couple hours and I've seen them last years).  The only real probably with them is support.  Hard to find parts, hard to find wiring and drivetrain diagrams, etc.  Oh, and resale value is complete garbage, one of those a year old here in the south is worth under a grand.

Once again, TYVM for the feedback, Mark.  I may just decide to roll the dice on one regardless.  If it lives thru the winter I'll have it for an extra for friends/family to ride and it will only have cost me a grand to plow all winter, which is probably about half of what it would cost to have it done and I won't be last on the list due to being on the end of the road....already plowed 6 times this winter [borrowing neighbor's but can't impose all winter] and am expecting a minimum of another 20 times.

• 1 year later...

I've been interested in these as well.  Reading the manual, it is claimed that they should only climb 15 degree hills.  That is nothing.  I bet they will do much better.  What experience have others had.  To me, this warning sounds like lawyer talk to limit there liability if rolled.  Will thes machines spin all wheels on dry grass?

thanks, tom

• 4 months later...
On 1/19/2023 at 3:54 PM, geezer99 said:

I've been interested in these as well.  Reading the manual, it is claimed that they should only climb 15 degree hills.  That is nothing.  I bet they will do much better.  What experience have others had.  To me, this warning sounds like lawyer talk to limit there liability if rolled.  Will thes machines spin all wheels on dry grass?

thanks, tom

Yes they will.  The backside of the dam for our little pond is about 30 degrees, and from a standing start in low range, Axis 500 will zip right up it.  If muddy it will require a running start, but that is more a function of tires than drive train.

tom