Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

ATTN: Scheff - Photo Schtuph

Scheff wrote:

Familiar with EXIF data? My primary camera is a 1dMKII. I was doing work for a couple of magazines and a few quad accessory vendors when I bought the MKII, so the MK II worked out great. I had been using a 10D before the 1dMKII... and there's no comparison. The speed, quality, and durability of the 1D line is awe inspiring. In the same weekend that I took the shot I posted, I spent about an hour shooting in heavy rain without any kind of rain cover. I was soaked but the MKII and L lenses kept kicking. I ended up getting shots that many of the other photog's missed because their equipment wasn't able to take the rain. The Canon 1D line is amazing.

I'm not a "pro", but I am a photographer...I d/l'd your pic and checked the EXIF :wink:

The 1D/L lens combo is pretty water sealed, so doesn't surprise me .

Saw you shot @ 120mm....you using the 70-200?

I'm still stuck with two 20Ds....LOL! Does what I want for now (read that as I'M BROKE!)

I checked out your site......some really nice work!

Would like to see some more of your MX stuff.....

Tom D

The Canon 70-200 2.8L IS is the lens I work with the most. It's also my longest lens. I've been close to getting a 300 or 400mm a few times but the type of shooting I usually do doesn't work with a fixed telephoto lens. Every time I've tried fixed long lenses has always ended in shots I'm never satisfied with. The $3000+ price tag for a new lens that wouldn't add a substantial amount of quality to my setup is hard to justify... especially since I have all of my setup was paid for by previous work and I only do a few small gigs anymore and no more "pro" level work.

The 10d, 20d, 30d cameras are good platforms. I print very few of my own photos for display in my house and I've only printed 2 large prints. Both of the 24x36" prints were from my 10D. I haven't taken a photo good enough to blow up to 40x60" that the photo shop started to offer. Still working towards it, but none of my shots are worth looking at in that size each day.

But as for the camera, the person behind the camera is more important than the camera. Granted, a camera that can take 8 shots per second helps for action... but there's more to it. I've looked at tomduggan.com and it looks like you already know that. Some great looking shots that have some interesting points of view. I've always thought that cameras are worse than drugs. Find an aspiring photographer in need of a long lens or fast camera. He/she will get the same kind of shakes that a adict has when someone with a $15k+ setup walks by.

I have very little of my MX shots online. LiteTimes.net is probably the best place for my past work. Most of the other shots are too borring for anyone to be interested in. I have a few interesting shots about Canon durability and MX on my home system. I'm away from home for the weekend so I'll see what I can dig up when I get back.

I was just looking over some of the photos... (it's rough on slow Verizon mobile internet connection). Luna_IMG_9909-1 shot at 560mm? What lens?

Says it right above the photo.....I do believe it was taken with a 100-400 with the Canon 1.4x TC ..... handheld.....LOL!!!!!

Took a look lifetimes.net and enjoyed your sports work. Great mix of action and candids....

That's my next venture.....WHEN I ever get out of my photo funk!

I definitely agree....it's the wingnut behind the shutter, not the camera....although it does help a bit ;)

For the paid stuff I've done, I really don't need the 1Dx series yet, but for some of the sports and wildlife stuff, I would like a 40D/5D for the larger buffer and faster frames per second.

I've printed at home as large as 13 x 19 and the 20D does fine in that range; even with 10-15% cropping at times. (Epson 2400)

I've shot some utility ATV trail riding with my clubs, but really looking to do some "action" work and get out to the "local" MX track around here and get some "real" shots...LOL!

My next purchase is going to be the 70-200 f/2.8; I've rented it a few times and I NEED that lens! YAHEY!

As for you, get a Kenko or Canon TC for your 70-200, lean towards the Canon, even though it's more expensive.

With the 1D, the 70-200 and TC will auto focus below f/8; unlike me where I have to MANUAL focus! GRRRRRRRR.....

Tom D

Ha, yeah, looks like I missed the photo description.

I was guessing it may have been with a tele converter but I wasn't sure. TC's are good when you can afford to slow a lens down and possibly lose the ability to auto focus. I can't do either for most of the shooting that I still do. Manual focus and anything below f4 is almost unusable is low light sport conditions. The 300 f2.8 or 400 f2.8 are the two lenses I will consider if I keep moving forward with photography.

Ha, yeah, looks like I missed the photo description.

I was guessing it may have been with a tele converter but I wasn't sure. TC's are good when you can afford to slow a lens down and possibly lose the ability to auto focus. I can't do either for most of the shooting that I still do. Manual focus and anything below f4 is almost unusable is low light sport conditions. The 300 f2.8 or 400 f2.8 are the two lenses I will consider if I keep moving forward with photography.

I'd have to sell blood for 19 years to be able to get the 300 AND the 400...um.....make that just one ;)

You're not going to lose AF on a 1D or even a 5D; and bumping the ISO will get you back into a good shutter speed range.

How "low" is the light you're shooting in? You can do a lot in post in Lightroom or Capture One...but I guess it all depends on how much you _want_ to do in post and actually how low the light is....

I suck in post, so I try and get it in-camera :cute:

If you're talking about your gym shots, talk to the venue and see if you can get some triggered strobes in there! WOO!

But, since I'm not a full-time sports shooter....what do I know ;)

Tom D

I usually shoot in daylight or what I consider low light conditions. In a gym or stadium, I can hope to get 1/640th using f2.8 and ISO 1250 or 1600. A tele converter in that situation would be suicide. Anything below 1/640th won't freeze the action as much as I would like.

I don't have any regular gigs that allow me to setup strobes. I've worked closely with folks that were using strobes while I was not, and I've found the strobes to be more limiting than helpful. The slow cycle time on strobes means that one or two shots can be taken for my 10-15. That's normally not a real problem but that reduces the chance of nailing the shot. It would be easier to pay $4000 and have a lens that can do it all :)

Capture One is a great tool. I also like "Neat Image" Neat Image :: download to remove noise from high ISO images. This makes shooting at 1600 or even 3200 ISO reasonable.

They're not using the right strobes! LOL!...just kidding....I hear ya...

I started out with Neat Image, but switched to Noise Ninja...I liked the results better than NI as well as it's interface....

No biggie.....way I look at it, if it fits the workflow, then it's the right tool for the 'tog.....

Now, to get out of this photo funk......ARG!

Tom D

wow, i wish i could just understand half of what this topic is about..lol

That's exactly how I feel when you guys/gals talk engines! :aargh:

I just start it up, get muddy.....and fix/maintain what I can!

LOL!!!!!!

Tom D

All I know is he is talking about a better camera than I have.

Camera don't make the photographer......the photographer does ;)

Visit PBase.com some day and look at the camera specific galleries.....there are TONS of high quality images that are taken with point&shoots....2 megapixels and up....I'm astounded by all that talent....

I love it when I'm out in public shooting with my "pro" gear and people come up to me and say, "That _camera_ must take great pictures!" And I just wink, smile and say, "Hugh Betcha it do!"

-TD

You're right. I just meant the camera I deal with has about 2 buttons. It works for me. My girl has a Cannon Rebel I think.

I have a few extra buttons lying around if you want them.....

:drool5c:

-TD