Quantcast

New to atvs

Looks like a good project

Mine sat outside for 2 years. Right before it got parked, the previous owner put new platics, new under coating, new lights, new decals,  and a new carb.

Ive changed the oil, oil filter, completely cleaned out the gas tank and petcock and replaced the gas with 94 octane, new spark plug and checked for air leaks. 

He says the quad needs the carb air fuel screw adjusted to the 2 1/2 turns. I am a beginner to all of these things, so im having some issues figuring it all out.

It bogs down when you press the throttle at low rpms. Spark plug gets sooty black. (Carbon build up?  - running rich)

I wish i knew what i was doing lol

• 4 weeks later...

new here as well.  I got an 05 zuki king quad 700.  came off a farm where it was used to check cattle for last 10 years.  prior to that not sure how much use it got but couldnt have been much.  everything seems in good shape.  I parked it in the garage and been trying to find the time to do a tune up; air filter, oil & filter change, spark plug.  oh it needs a new battery too.  got all this picked up at the local oreillys but just cant find time to work on it yet.  after this stuff, i'd like to tackle the differentials and brakes.  previous owner didnt do anything besides change the oil yearly.  

it came locally, only 25 min away.  listed on fb marketplace for 3500, i paid 3200.  came with owners manual and original tool kit.  prev owner said he bought from a friend of his who ran an auction co and they picked up from someone cleaning out everything.  something like 3500 miles.  i'm excited to ride, never really had one before.  

• 3 weeks later...

Wished you lived closer mech, i had the quad running mint, and then replaced the old crappy outlet tube, now it bogs down again when you slowly push on the gas. The carb is one pain in the as* to adjust... im almost positive the float level and air fuel isnt adjusted properly. I had it running like new 3 weeks ago... grrrrr

Just now, jessewr1981 said:

Wished you lived closer mech, i had the quad running mint, and then replaced the old crappy outlet tube, now it bogs down again when you slowly push on the gas. The carb is one pain in the as* to adjust... im almost positive the float level and air fuel isnt adjusted properly. I had it running like new 3 weeks ago... grrrrr

Forgot to say as well, the old air outlet tube was barely hanging on, and more then a half in shorter then the oem one. So i replaced it, now she runs like dogsh!t again

That tool's made from bits out of an old printer..

It's probably a good idea to strip the carby again and replace the rubber O rings on the float needle's seat and the main jet holder. Blow through every drilling to check they are clean and so you know where they go. Blow all the jets out, check the float levels right. Check the diaphragm's not torn. Check the rubber inlet manifold isn't torn. Check all the rubber hoses are on the right places.  Then the standard setting for the idle mixture as per the manual should get it to go, then you adjust the idle mixture and it should respond.

When you say "outlet tube", do you mean the outlet of the carb ? So the rubber fitting connecting the carb to the engine ?

That's called an inlet manifold.

I had this running so nice like 3 weeks ago and havent touched it since. Today i took the old  outlet tube (from the carb to the air box) off, put the new one on, and now its lagging again when you press the gas slowly. Was not doing that with the old tube that was barely on. 

I assume its getting the proper air now. Carb was fully rebuilt with oem parts 1 year ago by kawasaki (guy did this before i bought it).. ive taken most of it apart and it looks brand new.