Quantcast

Where do you Buy Parts

Hoyt1500

I'm rebuilding a 2004 Suzuki LT80 and am wondering where everyone is buying parts for their carbs, clutch, and transmission. Has anyone had success with Amazon parts or should I stick to OEM parts that can be found on partzilla or suzukipartshouse.com. I found one old thread where people talked about only buying OEM for top end but other locations should work. 

Personally I research and read reviews. Plus it depends on what you want the end product to be. A full restoration is different from a functional usable machine. General fasteners- hardware store. Carburetor, rebuild what I have or search ebay for an oem that hits my price point. Facebook market place can be good for bodywork. Or maybe a complete parts machine. Tires for the machine I'm building now are going to be from Kenda, there are some on Amazon that look really good at almost half the price. But reading reviews outside of Amazon I'm thinking they may not be a.good investment. I've a tight budget for the equipment on the farm here and am always looking to save money. I try to keep the mechanics of things in the best shape I can but don't worry what they look like. 

I think for the 3 you listed, OEM would be best, if its an OEM carb, if its aftermarket you could probably buy a new aftermarket carb as cheap as an OEM kit, but if its OEM carb, I would stick with OEM kit. The clutch I have heard the aftermarket clutch kits don't work very well, maybe Ebay, I don't deal with eBay much except for umobtanium parts, transmission parts can get expensive OEM, you might find a good used one at Ebay, I have done that, don't know what all you need.  I Use Motorsport.com, and rockymountainatvmc.com for OEM parts. I actually have an aftermarket carb on my suzuki only because it had already been replaced with aftermarket and the OEM one was 450.00. Which brings me to my next point, as Jim said, if you are on a tight budget aftermarket parts will probably be fine, but look at them closely and read everything to make sure they fit your machine, I have done that and still some don't fit and some don't work. 

Thanks Jim and Gwbarm. Your input backed up my worries about buying aftermarket clutches from amazon or ebay. I typically look at reviewers comments about a product if they're available before buying. It does seem that some of the aftermarket parts on Amazon have free returns, which can be a good thing if the part does not match up. I think I'll stick with OEM for the clutch and transmission if possible. Thanks!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Gwbarm
      I Ran across this video today comparing an aftermarket to OEM Carb on Suzuki Vinson, thought it might generate some interest, it is quite long but informative.

• By Mhatayas
      What should I do about this , bad oil leak where the filter cover bolts on . Can I use some gasket maker 

• By Uglyside38
      I have a 1988 Quadrunner 250 2wd. My brother in law sold it to my son for $20...had been sitting outside for several years. Got it home and had it running in about 30 mins. Ran it a bit and then went to looking at the carb as it was having trouble idling. Was getting it pretty close, then started losing spark...Also, it wouldn't start up every time...only about 1 in 5 tries. Anyway...now, it has what I can only describe as "intermittent" spark. I can get 1 light spark right when the start button is pressed and sometimes one when it's released...but none while cranking. 🤷‍♂️

I have replaced the spark plug, ignition coil/wire, and traced wires best I can. I noticed a couple frayed wires at the pickup coil where it enters the case. So, now I have the cover off, stator and pickup coil out and trying to test the coil. I do have about 114 ohms resistance for pickup best I can tell. And I can read minute voltage when I drag a magnet across it. Could it still be bad? Can a bad ignition switch/button cause this? (I did have the switch off to oil the choke cable)...pulling rope makes no difference though...any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!!! It's the intermittent part that's throwing me off! 

• By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By skittle021
      So I've got a Hisun 550 that I was doing some work on that required removing the CVT and it's housing. Upon attempting to reinstall the clutch, sheaves, etc, I found that the belt no longer fits - it's far too wide. None of the parts have been replaced, they're all OEM. Exactly the same parts as what I took off a few weeks ago.
      To be more specific, my belt is 1.25in wide, but the gap between the clutch and the primary sheave is only 7/8in wide. I'll include a few photos to explain.
      Has anyone ever experienced such a bizarre problem? Any help at all would be appreciated, I've been stuck on this for a month. I'm open to just about any suggestion.
      Photos: