Quantcast

1988 Suzuki Quadrunner 250 intermittent spark

Uglyside38

Great! You got the CDI straitened out sometimes a lttle tap does wonders although i have never seen it fix a CDI, must have been the corrosion. The case not fitting tight is concerning, something is not seated properly, hate to say this, but i think it needs to come back off to find whats causing it, i wouldnt think it would be the washer unless its binding on the shaft. If you already have the oil in it , i would drain it into a clean container and reuse it, i have had to do that before. 

If the book and the parts diagrams say there's meant to be a washer then there will be meant to be a washer and it must be something else wrong in there if it is the washer causing the cover not to fit right down.

Can you check the shaft for end float/movement ?

If you loosen the bolts does the cover try to spring out ?

• Like 1

Just found out it's the hi/low shift mechanism that's causing the issues. It's in a bind somehow. Ran it through the gears to be sure everything was working properly but couldn't get it into high. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I'll pull it back apart this week and get it figured out 🤙. I did find a rogue washer when I picked it up off the blocks...🤦🏼‍♂️ Learning the hard way!!!😬🤣

I'll let ya know what I find 

• Like 1

Got it all buttoned back up and everything is good in the case now. Sealed up and shifting from low to high🤙. However...still having to tap the cdi to get spark...and it will run as long as I leave it on, but after it's been shut off a few minutes, have to tap the cdi again...🤦🏼‍♂️. So, it's probably on its way out. So, we go back to the "7 wire cdi to 5 wire cdi" discussion... because I really have a hard time bringing myself to spend $250-$300 on a 1988 cdi off eBay... perhaps I can get with Ricks or something and see what they'd charge to build me one.🤷🏼‍♂️She runs great when it fires though!!!!

Edited by Uglyside38

Are you sure there isn't a bad wire to terminal, or terminal to cdi pin connection ? Wires sometimes break inside the insulation right where they get crimped into the terminal. You can generally tell because the wire is floppy because it's only being held together by the insulation. Other than that, try pinching the terminals a little tighter where they fit into/onto the cdi.

Well...the cdi seems to be doing ok. Need to do some carb work/tuning...and I need a new fuel petcock and clean out fuel tank. However... project will be on hold for a bit (couple weeks probably) due to some family emergencies and just a lot going on in life at the moment.🤙

• 2 months later...

Hey! So, I got back on the project this week. I've started up a part time small engine repair gig and it's been keeping me busy! 

Anyhow, I got the ol girl running pretty good. I cleaned out the fuel tank and while doing so, realized that was 90% of my problem all along.🤦🏼‍♂️ Can't believe I overlooked that. Tank was FILTHY! Pretty much was mud at the bottom and once I got that flushed and added fresh gas, she fired right away. Now to buy some front tires and she'll be ready to have some fun and be put to work. Painting the racks and front bumper also. Will have them put back on next week. (Busy this weekend 🥵)

IMG_20240418_201854231.jpg