Quantcast

K100 g+

Has anyone tried the K 100 fuel additives to remove water from fuel. I drained my tank plus float bowl on carb. They don't sell the K 100 products locally. I added some Iso Heet to some fresh gas. I don't know which, or maybe the combination of the two. But it is idling better and not surging up and down as bad as it was now. My guess is it will take a little time to totally smooth out. Thanks! 🙂

You can also get isopropyl  alcohol which does much the same job. Both quite common household or workshop products.

In cars  we used to put about a cup full of meths i and it would generally stop the water getting into the carb and blocking the jets. If it wasn't enough, you added a bit more. It's not so much how much fuel there is, but how much water you want to absorb.

If you've already cleaned the tank it should only have a trickle of  water left at most so probably a half or quarter cup would do. If you put a lot in the engine runs a bit lean and weak. It's alcohol though and burns cool.. It might make the bike a bit gutless but it won't over heat or do anything bad.

Edited by Mech
  • Like 1

I didn't take the tank off and clean it out. I just unhooked the line from the fuel pump and drained the gas from tank and the float bowl on the carburetor. I'm going to definitely try using the alcohol if the Heet doesn't do the job. Thanks again Mech! 🙂

• Like 1

I just took the tank off mine, very simple to do, these plastic tanks are so easy to clean, just washed it out with the water hose mine didnt even have any crap in it, then let it dry for a couple of days, but if in a hurry use a hair dryer to dry it out, so easy compared to the metal mororcycle tanks i usually deal with, 30 years of crud varnish and rust i usually use muriatic acid to clean them, nasty stuff, dont have to do any of that with ATV tanks, but i do use Berryman B12 chemtool as an additive to keep the carb clean and water formation in the tank to a minimum and i always use non-Ethynol fuel in my small engines. More expensive but it does help.

• Like 1

Yeah, we use to use the muriatic acid on brick after it was laid. It did a good job cleaning the brick and garage floors if needed. That was some time ago working in new home construction. I'm going to try and keep some of the denatured alcohol in my tank all the time  and maybe it won't get that bad again. I'll look up the b 12 chemical and see if there is any locally.  Thanks for the good info GW! 🙂

Water shouldn't really get into your tank. With steel tanks moisture in the air condenses on the cold steel and settles to the bottom. Plastic tanks don't do that. I'd be suspecting the water was in the fuel before it got put in the bike.

I'm in the far north of N.Z. and we have a climate they describe as "marine" and "semi-tropical", and my humidity hardly ever gets below about seventy percent, mostly it's over eighty and it hovers near ninety-six for weeks at a time sometimes, and it goes up to ninety-nine just before it rains sometimes. But as long as I buy clean fuel, and store it in plastic jerry cans, I don't get water in my fuel. I always pour most of the fuel out of the jerry can into the bike, then leave a little in the can, or peer in there looking for water. The gas stations are pretty good these days though and it's rare to get water in the fuel. Once it was really common.

• Like 1