Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

yfz450 case

YFZ450

it would be a pretty major job... if you havnt done any engine work before i would have someone with experience do it... probably the best way to do it would be to remove the head and jug and turn the motor on its right side keeping the crank and transmission shafts vertical... you should be able to remove the case half and replace it without anthing falling out... I have done this with splitting banshee cases and it works pretty well... if you do it i would get a service manual...

If i do what you say and remove the head and jug keeping everything vert. do i have to worry about keeping from moving on the inside, or will everthing stay in place while removing the LH side of the case the only thing is on the yfz450 the swing arm is conected to the rear of the motor i cant remember or not if the part where the swing arm is conected to the motor splits or not

I just got thru going thru the headache of the left case my self:aargh: i did all the work in a friends basement(minus machine shop work) it is a pain, but it's not that bad with a repair manual. after all the research i've done, from 04 to 08 all parts are interchangeble, some parts have improved since 06:yes: some have degressed since then(i cant verify it, but i beleive they changed the piston for better reliablity, and i beleive a loss of power) but thats just my :twocents:. the change in the cases is a plus. the 06 up has an added oil jet that lubes the bottom of the piston:yes: but you can get a kit to upgrade the 04/05 cases too. i'm not sure exactly about dirtbike to quad conversions, but I dont believe so.. the YZ has a smaller flywheel and stator, the YFZmotor is based on the WR version, but i dont know how close, i think the cases are different due to lack of oil res on the dirtbike.. DK for sure...:no:

alright for the task at hand..... the cases are matched from the factory:aargh: so you have to have a matching set to ensure proper alignment of everything (bearings and coolant chambers).. after the head and jug are off, if you dont have access to any special tools, leave the fly wheel ON the crank if it doesnt come off easily your supposed to have a puller to do it properly..(left side) the engine disassembles from the right side Up:bangheadc: the left case is the "base" so after you remove the right cases,(inner and outer) and the tranny,,,,, whether you got the fly wheel off or not you then take your old left case to somebody that has the tools and the stuff to Press the old crank off of the old left case and press it into the new case:rantc: be sure to have the head and valves checked and adjusted while its off and easy:wink: be sure to lube, loctite and torque every thing to spec, and stay calm while reasembling the tranny shift forks and shifting drum:err:..

Good luck with it! Keep me up to date on your project! Holla if you got any questions, I do the best i can to help out!! I'm out of breath right now..lol

the only part of my quad that i haven't had apart is the carb.. that will be very soon tho:no: my airfilter took a dump :fart:in the last race and now i've lost some compression, not sure how much, but i can tell a diff in the way it sounds and feels. it's not smoking, but i'm not going to give it the chance!! I think its time for a GYTR high comp piston, GYTR full stainless exhaust, and GYTR air filter and jet kit:cheer2: that should bump it over the 65+ HP mark:wink: gonna be some dough tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:skeptic: atleast i'll have an excuse to tweak the carb!

So While your in there YFZ450.................. check on some of the GYTR stuff, its high, but its the best!

• 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By HSTAR
      Hey I have a 1997 big bear 350 4x4
      I replaced the shifter shaft and the shift arm linkage and the rod when I installed them all I was unaware that you had to line the dot on the shifter shaft with the gap on the linkage arm gap put it all back  together and rode it I can't get it to shift in the right gears  I can move the shift cam by hand and goes in different gears but with the shifter shaft in it riding I can't put it in R or N 
      Anyone know how to line up the shifter shaft and the shift cam s

• By mywifeknowseverythin
      For those of you who are into coffee, I found this little article that might interest some of you.

I admit it. I am a coffee snob. I try not to be obnoxious about it, but let the record show: I enjoy a really great cup of coffee. But pay $4 a cup for it? No way. Even snobs have their limits.
      Over the years, I’ve learned that a really good cup of coffee has less to do with money and more to do with knowledge and care. In fact—and this is the amazing thing—the more I learn, the less I spend.
      BEANS. Purchase whole bean coffee as soon after it has been roasted as possible. Freshness is the key to a superb cup of coffee. Purchase in small amounts—only as much as you can use within 2 weeks of being roasted.
      RATIO. The perfect ratio of coffee beans (prior to grinding) and water is: One-half cup whole beans to 8 cups of water.
      GRIND. Grind your beans as close to brew time as possible. A burr or mill grinder that crushes the beans is preferable to a blade grinder that cuts them. Once ground, coffee should be used immediately.
      WATER. If your water is highly chlorinated use bottled or filtered water. It must be right at 200 F, just short of boiling temperature, when it hits the dry grinds. This is critical to creating a great cup of coffee. Consume immediately.
      STORE. The enemies of roasted coffee beans are air, moisture, heat and light—in that order. Keep your beans in an airtight container that is not close to moisture (sink, dishwasher), heat (oven, stove) or light (countertop). Do not store your daily coffee in the refrigerator or freezer because contact with moisture causes it to deteriorate. For larger quantities of roasted beans that you cannot use within 2 weeks, wrap in airtight bags and store for up to a month in the freezer—making sure the beans are completely protected against moisture. Once removed from the freezer, do not return.
      BUY. Most supermarkets offer high-quality, roasted coffee beans for $.60 to $1 per ounce ($9.50 - $16.00 per pound). Ouch! Discount warehouse clubs like Costco, Sam’s and B.J.’s have considerably less expensive coffee at about $9 a pound for name brands like Starbuck’s and Peet’s. Still, that’s too rich for my blood.
      ROAST. I roast my own coffee for two reasons: It is infinitely better tasting and half the price. I purchase green coffee beans by mail order for about $4 - $6 a pound, depending on current conditions and variety. I started out roasting in a popcorn popper (West Bend’s Poppery II is ideal) and have graduated to a small coffee roaster. My favorite resource for everything from roasting instructions to green coffee beans is http://www.u-roast-em.com/. Owner Jim Cameron has a wealth of knowledge and is anxious to share.
      You won’t believe how easy it is to roast coffee. And enjoyable, too. I roast only one-week’s worth at a time—about twenty minutes. Green coffee beans have an indefinite, useful shelf life of at least a year, and probably two or longer. But I’ll never know. Coffee beans just don’t last that long around my house!
    • By Charlesbrown
      I’m looking for a top end kit for a Yamaha. I would like to see how well the engine runs before spending $6-$7 hundred on oem. Niche has complete kits from $1-$2 hundred.  Anyone have experience with Niche or similar Chinese companies? 
    • By ResQ91
      Hi guys
      My 87 Bear 350 won't start and could use a hand.
      Turn key on and Oil light turns on and then slowly fades out. (I think this is key to this) No start, not even a tick.
      battery and connections good
      A Solenoid post jump turns it over
      Neutral Safety Switch wire attached and seems good
      It has not had a wire/switch on Rear Brake Pedal ever since I had it.
      Any thoughts on some other things to troubleshoot this??
    • By Bobbywolf
      I am working on a basket case for a friend.  It is a 98 Big Bear (YFM350FWB).  It came with a parts machine which is a 96, which I am coming to find out is VERY different from his machine.

Anyway, first thing is first.  I checked compression, 150psi.  Valves are set correctly, and the engine is in time.  I cleaned the carb, and there was some junk in the passages.  It is a chinese carb, which I figured from the lack of markings or lettering altogether.

The bike runs.  It idles ok, but breaks up badly under acceleration.  Pulling a new spark plug shows it is running lean.  White strap, with no black whatsoever.  So I have the carb adjusted with the mixture screw out way too much (about 5 turns), and the diaphragm needle lifted to the top slot.  It is still not getting enough fuel (or too much air).  It backfires through the carb, and cannot get above idle without carrying on.  The carb boot is in good shape, so it isn't pulling any air there.  I did test this as well by spraying ether around the boot when running, looking for intake leaks.

Anything big I am missing here?  I am starting to believe that this chinese carb is the issue.  This quad came with the original carb, which I would like to rebuild and use, but the mixture screw is totally stuck, and stripped way down in its recess.  

Thanks for any assistance.
  • Similar Tagged Forum Content