Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

bigboomer

NEED HELP with my polaris Xplorer 400 - problem going into reverse.

My 97 xplorer 400 is having trouble going into reverse. I'm new to atving and dont know a lot about the vehicle but i'll try to explain my problem in as much detail as possible. Firstly when i'm trying to reverse i need to make sure the engine is idling as low as possible, otherwise it wont go into reverse all together is that normal? Once the engine is at a low idle, I put it in reverse and the atv will start backing up but then just stops like it lost its grip on the chains. Many times i cant even get it into reverse, i need to go forward, and then quickly jam it into R for it to actually work.

I'm thinking it's a transmission problem but i have no idea if i'm right or what to do to fix it...

Any help????

Also just for my own knowledge (might be a stupid question...), my 4x4 only works when i put it in low gear. If i keep it in the standard forward gear even with my 4x4 button pushed in the 4x4 will never engage. Is that normal?

Looking forward to the help!

Thanks

Hmm...well sounds to me like it's having difficulty engaging and could be because of issues with your clutch. That's a possibility, You may need a rebuild kit like:

This link is available to logged in members only. Please login or register to view this link.

You may want to take the belt cover off and see what's going on in there. Check for metal filings. Here are some schematics that are available online:

This link is available to logged in members only. Please login or register to view this link.

Buy yourself a manual.

Here is a video on how a Polarius clutch works:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AfR3u8jyio&feature=related]YouTube - Polaris ATV Maintenance & Repair Tips : How Clutches Work on a Polaris ATV[/ame]