Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

tygrrr123

2007 can am outlander 400 xt

i recently purchased a very low hour 400 xt for my wife. she has rode it every weekend for about 2 months with No Problems. Today, she got into some mud (with standing water) and it lost power, backfired, and (after several attempts) restarted. it would run for less than a minute, backfire, and cut off again. finally, it would not restart. we let it sit for 30 minutes, started it up and it ran fine for 1.5 hrs. she got into some water. the bike cut off (did not backfire this time) and would not restart. after 15 minutes, it restarted and ran fine for another hour or so. she rinsed it off before loading to go home and again it would not start. 15 minutes later, it cranked right up and ran fine. it seems like something is getting wet and interrupting timing or firing. does anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by tygrrr123

Check all your electrical connections, make sure the connections are clean, apply some dielectric grease, and seal them up good.

That's happened to me when water gets into the intake.

Sucking water into the intake is bad, if that was indeed the problem, you need to be careful about going into water that is too deep. You need to install a snorkel system if you want to ride though deep water and mud that could get into the airbox. If the engine takes in too much water while running at high speeds, it can destroy your engine. Water does not compress in the cylinder like the air/fuel mix does. Here is a worst case scenario of what happens when your motor gets hydrolocked.

hydrolock.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By scotty2hotty01
      i have a older honda 350 cc quad that seems to start and other days will not.spark seems to be gone and there when it does run.I checked newer coil odd a older yet Honda but no help and idea I going to find the serial number as forget the year but believe around 1995 to 1997 year besides that great quad but cant run it so great this way  and need it for chores around the acreage. Any help would be great. Ive check all fuses as well as the fusable ling which was fine until I screwed with it now need to buy another as have it wired not so safe.I handy but now have copd which takes away the brain power some.Any help would sure be appreciated 
    • By kgard
      Hi all, I bought a 2018 used 450 for my wife. She is having trouble with some of the real rocky trails close to our home. Her arms give out in an hour or two so I was thinking of adding power steering . Is this possible ? Anyone done this ? 
    • By Thomas Brooks
      Hi all,
      I apologize if these have been discussed in the past. I just wanted to get this posted out here real quick, then will try searching through the forum tonight. So, I have a 2017 Sportsman 570 X2, with EPS and EBS. I have the following problems/challenges and am curious if I am not alone, and if any solutions have been found.
      EBS - Holy cow! The engine braking system is so strong that Active Decent Control doesn't even seem necessary. On deceleration, it actually causes the tires to slide on dirt and asphalt! I have had the ATV for a little over a year and don't use it often. It probably has 30-50 hours on it.
      Transfer Case/Transmission - I use a tow behind trimmer mower on my Very steep hill. It is not particularly heavy. While rolling downhill, I am usually in 4x4 (not with ADC, usually). The transfer case and/or transmission will suddenly pop into a neutral state. The shift lever and 4x4 switch do not move, of course. I am able to get it stopped with the brakes. Once stopped, It seems like it is engaged into gear again. That's without moving, shifting or changing anything. I do have a case open with Polaris on this one.
      Heat - The ATV runs very hot. I generally use it at low speeds with a load behind it. The load is never terribly heavy. It's usually a garbage can, trimmer mower, driveway grader, trailer with a small load of firewood, etc. 

Bonus Question! I will post this to general too. I am a motorcyclist, riding on/off road for over 30 years. This is my 1st ATV, however. How in the heck am I supposed to operate the thumb throttle while at a full right turn? This is generally while trying to make a U-Turn. I tend to roll my hand over the top and grab the throttle from the front with my fingers. It seems very choppy, especially with the engine braking. 

Thanks!
      Thomas
    • By Tubecatgs
      A friend of mine has this Bayou 220 that started running bad and parked it a few years ago. I foolishly volunteered to take a look at it. I noticed right away the choke plunger on the carb was broken and probably the reason it was running bad but now the old gas was evaporated and like turpentine. Before i even tried to start it, i drained/ thoroughly washed the tank out, new fuel filter, new fuel lines. Blew air through the petcock etc. Changed the oil and filter and air filter and new choke plunger and cable. I disassembled the carb and rebuilt it with a kit. I cleaned the main jet with solvent and poked a wire through it to make sure it is clean.. the engine now fires right up with the choke on and dies when i take the choke off. I adjusted the air/fuel screw to about 1.5 turns out and the idle screw about 2.5 turns out. The rubber boot between the carb and head does not have any cracks in it so I don't think it is leaking air. I originally had the clip on the needle on the second from the top ring... when i moved it all the way to the bottom it starts, runs and idles really fast and will idle eeally high with the choke off but if i adjust the throttle cable and/or idle screw to a slower idle it will sometimes stall but the idle will go up and down every few seconds and when you give it gas there is a hesitation... i tried moving the clip down to rhe second from bottom and same problem... i replaced all the parts in the pic to the top right. However, there appears to be a small o ring, washer and spring left over from the kit... i did not see these get removed..... a) any idea if where these extra parts go and if i need them and b) any other ideas on why i cant get it to idle right or carb adjustment ideas?
      Thanks
    • By Mitchell LaForest
      Hi everybody!
      Just got an 86 TRX 250, not running for past 5 years.
      Currently with battery hooked up there no power. I checked the fuses. Will go meter the off/run/off switch and ignition switch tonight.
      I'm, looking for a decent wiring diagram or a copy of the service manual or ohm specs for coils/stators. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Billie
      :confused:need a repair manual or help in what to look for thank you Bill
      for you muddober to make clear to you the neutral light and the gear light
      do not light up win shifting fuses are good Iuse my CAt for hunting im dissable the atv is my leag s thank you
    • By kiwisteve
      Hi Folks
      MY Ltf 400 has power and electric start turns motor over, but wont start...
      seems no spark
      im told stalled in paddock and wont start again
      any suggestions please
    • By izzydum1
      Any ideas on what would make a coil not fire? She was running fine, then began slow start. Now wont start at all.
    • By Jesper
      Hi guys
      Does anyone have a link to a service manual for the 2008 KingQuad fs 400 4x4.
      I would be very happy to get my hands on a file
      Thanks. :-)
    • By Mikes700efi
      I just bought my first arctic cat. I changed the oil and filter. Now my atv smokes only when u rev the engine. Smoke looks white grey.. slight light blue tint.. when it. Idles it doesn't smoke.. Any body have a clue what is going on. The dealer said it's not the rings.. it has the 700cc suzuki engine..