Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

ktmsx450jody

question about throttle sensor on atv ktmsx450

hi, i have just bought a new ktmsx450. i want to change the thumb throttle to twist thorottle but the sensor doesnt allow me to do this without the bike cutting out. can anyone help? thanks

This is a double post, it is already in the KTM forum where it should be. I would delete this one myself but my powers of moderation don't work in this forum.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By AimlessMoto
      Hey guys, new here, but haven't found ANY answer to my specific problem on a Suzuki dedicated ATV forum, so here's to hoping!
      I acquired a 95' Quadrunner 250, 4x4, (LT4WD) for practically nothing with no spark. The PO had tossed in a used stator which didn't fix the problem... so I went all routes (though cheaply) to narrow down the initial problem of no spark. 
      Plug, coil, CDI (caltric) and stator w/pickup (caltric) were purchased and installed. And it RAN, but bogged horribly and would not rev past 1/4 throttle. 
      I checked fuel flow, vacuum lines, all the normal stuff, no issues. I decided to check the valves and cam... well, there was one problem. The cam was 1mm under the lowest spec in the manual. So, in-came a new cam, Stage 1 Hotcams... also threw in a new set of shindy valves, lapped them, replaced the valve seals, and the timing chain. 
      Back together again (w/stock airbox and new oiled filter). Now it idles even better, still boggs at 1/4 throttle, but will rev past it if you hold the throttle open for a second. Ahaha... success!
      So I was able to ride it above 1/4 throttle once I had momentum... could shift through the gears, all was good as long as I kept it over 1/2 throttle. Took a long enough ride to break in the cam properly at least so I won't have to worry about that. 
      Now, I start fiddling with the carb. It's clean as a whistle, stock, with stock jets (new replacement Mikuni jets). Same problem. 

I start thinking, maybe this is fuel related and the bike is having an issue transitioning from idle jet to main jet... so I LOWER the needle by raising the clip 1 spot. Now it revvs up in neutral with no bog, but it boggs about the same trying to ride it. So I move the needle down again with the clip on the top slot. Better, but still has a bit of bog at 1/4 throttle. 
      The last bit of advice I got was to ditch the CV carb... so I sprung for a brand new Mikuni VM30-83 round-slide. Bolted it up, blew into the vacuum tube to fill it with fuel (no vacuum port on this one) and she fired right up... but there is still a bit of bog, it's just masked by the fact that I'm not waiting for the vacuum diaphragm to open. 

So I feel like each little step brings me closer, but not perfect. I'm now wondering if this is still in-fact a carb tuning issue (I have some jets I can fiddle with and maybe lean-out the idle jet a little.) OR if the cheap-a** Caltric Stator/Pickup is what's causing these issues. 

I have a 95' KingQuad with 400 miles on it... like new.. runs like a top... I've tried both the stock QR and the Caltric CDI boxes on it, and it revvs up and runs like a champ. 

The only unknowns between the two systems are the carb, and the stator/pickup. My next step in troubleshooting is to rip apart the King Quad and test it's CDI on the Quadrunner... but considering there is no change to how it runs I doubt it will lead to a solution. 

HOWEVER... I tried the stock CDI just recently after running the Caltric this whole time, and the bike runs like garbage. Hardly idles, and won't rev up at all. So, that is my one smoking gun telling me that it's either the pickup coil or the stator itself. 

Has anyone had a problem even CLOSE to this? I can't image the carb would be causing this many issues, especially going to 2 different ones, both with stock jetting to OEM, and exhibiting the identical symptoms... the only change is when different CDI's are plugged in, or when the needle valve leans out the mixture. 
      Also, I checked the piston, rings and bore when I had it apart and they're like-new... no scoring, rings are loose, cylinder is still round and has honing marks still int he bore. Stock piston, stock bore size and it has 160psi compression. Battery is brand new, and I've tried 3 different R/R's, none of which change any symptoms, but slightly vary the charging voltage by .2-.5 of a volt depending on which unit. Also tried a new coil which changed nothing. 
      ANY help would be appreciated. Too much invested to not get it running right. 
    • By John Ford
      i ordered a keihin carb for my 07 trx 90 and it fits nicely but the new cable they sent is way too long and i can't make it work.  the old honda cable cap [that fits on top of the carb] is too small to fit.  the keihin cap is approx 3/4 or 19mm.  honda cap is more like 1/2 in.  the keihin has a rubber boot on the cap where the throttle cable goes through . i don't know how to find the right length [most cites don't give the length].  i'm not sure how cables fit into that boot  and do i need to add the length of the boot to the cable?  the old honda cable is 28 inches total, but the cable movement is only approx 2'' which would not be enough to reach the actuator block on the keihin.  looking to find a throttle cable compatible with the keihin.  any help, please.

• By Roy Anderson
      I have a 2002 Suzuki LT-F500F, and am a first time atv  owner. I rode two wheel bikes for many years, and now, two months in to being a new at owner, am just not enamored with the thumb throttle, and I’m wondering if anyone has tried a conversion to a typical twist grip throttle as found on all motorcycles? If so, how do you like it?
    • By benwheeler
      Hi All,
      I need to replace a sensor on my son's Polaris Sportsman 110.     It physically broke somehow.   It's Polaris p/n 0455053 , the best I can tell.    It's about a $140 part from Polaris.   I'm hoping there may be an auto industry equivalent.   Most of those are around $15 haha.

Thanks!
      Bill
    • By Thomas Brooks
      I know...I feel stupid for asking.  I find it impossible to use the thumb throttle with my thumb when I have the bars turned full right. I have to reach across the top and grab the throttle from the front with my fingers. It isn't very smooth and I can't help but think that there must be a technique, mod or adjustment for this. How do I get past this?
      Thomas
      2017 Polaris Sportsman 570 X2
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By oxidized_black
      these are what i have in my collection ... always looking for more
      Linhai (german)
      http://rapidshare.com/files/3880403675/Linhai%20(german).rar
      Linhai 250 - 360 Service Manual
      http://rapidshare.com/files/582921063/Linhai%20250%20-%20360%20Service%20Manual.pdf
      Linhai 260 - 300 Parts Manual
      http://rapidshare.com/files/1587211864/Linhai%20260%20-%20300%20Parts%20Manual.pdf
      Linhai 260 - 300 Service Manual
      http://rapidshare.com/files/3400427719/Linhai%20260%20-%20300%20Service%20Manual.pdf
      Linhai 300 Parts Manual
      http://rapidshare.com/files/1938660329/Linhai%20300%20Parts%20Manual.pdf
      Linhai 260 Service Manual
      http://rapidshare.com/files/218261873/Linhai%20ATV%20Service%20Manual.pdf
      Linhai Bighorn CUV Service Manual
      http://rapidshare.com/files/2459140573/Linhai%20Bighorn%20CUV%20Service%20Manual.pdf
    • By Zacharia Maisonneuve
      i have a 1993 timberwolf yamaha and the compression is good and lights work but for some reason the electricity is not going to the spark plug(s)! i got a friend to check it out and they said its no use but im not giving up! please help with this!
    • By Connor Tuftin
      I have a 1988 300 Honda FourTrax, All wheel drive.
      My brother and I were fixing up this quad. We put a brand new battery and fuses in and it was running fine until we put the quad into reverse. As soon as it was put into reverse all of the electrical cut out and power wasn't making it to the head unit anymore and both of the brand new fuses popped. We figured there might have been a short from the starter or solenoids, but they are all working properly. At this point we don't know where to start looking for where the short could be. I'm just wondering if anybody has had the same issue or knows of similar issues that could cause these electrical shorts?
    • By Resurgence Small Engine Inc.
      Not satisfied with the commercially available versions, Jonathan recently built an ATV spring compressor.
      In this video, he demonstrates using it to remove & re-install the spring on an ATV coil-over shock absorber.
      Mistake in video - the coil-over shock is not quite a McPherson strut.
      If you are inspired to build your own spring compressor, feel welcome to use any ideas from this video.
      Thanks for watching! Resurgence Small Engine Inc.

• By Robert Ochoa
      Don't worry about hauling the ATVs. We have the helmets, goggles, and gloves covered too. Our equipment is well maintained and gassed up ready to go!
      We take the work out of your fun!
      Book your next adventure now!
      www.awesomeatvrentals.com
      https://www.instagram.com/we_are_atvs/
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWTAk9BABQNion2JJ_TfQXA
      we_are_atvs
      #fourwheeler #atvlife #atvriding #atv #4wheeling #fourwheeling #mudding #outdooradventure #atvs #mudlife #powersports #northcarolina #southcarolina #southcarolinalife #offroading #AwesomeATVRentals #yamaha