Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

I know I can't be the only person that has this problem, so I'm hoping someone else has found a solution. After only about 10 minutes riding on my honda foreman my thumb starts to cramp. After 15 or 20 minutes it's either numb or in pain. In cold weather my thumb is frozen. I did put on a thumb throttle extension and that helped just a little. I've seen some twist grip throttles but am not sure how well they work or which one to get, or how complicated it is to install them. Please give me some direction and advise.

Thank you,

Numb Thumb in Michigan

I have been riding dirt and street bikes for over 30 years, quads for close to 10. I can't explane it, but I really hate a twist throttle on an ATV. You would think it would be more natural then a thumb for me because of the years of motorcycle riding.

It should not be too hard to install, not any harder than a new thtottle cable and grip. I hope you find what works for you. I would try moving the throttle housing as suggested above first.

MiBassman said:
I know I can't be the only person that has this problem, so I'm hoping someone else has found a solution. After only about 10 minutes riding on my honda foreman my thumb starts to cramp. After 15 or 20 minutes it's either numb or in pain. In cold weather my thumb is frozen. I did put on a thumb throttle extension and that helped just a little. I've seen some twist grip throttles but am not sure how well they work or which one to get, or how complicated it is to install them. Please give me some direction and advise.

Thank you,

Numb Thumb in Michigan

I don't know how well it works but this is suppose to be for what your are describing:

http://www.amazon.com/Products-Thumbbuddy-Thumb-Throttle-Extender/dp/B000OO4Q16]Amazon.com: All Rite Products Thumbuddy Throttle Extender TB1: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41Wqxk4UoSL

How long have you been riding, maybe you just need to give your hand time to become used to the using those muscles. Also, like BB said, adjustment can help make things more comfortable. The angle of the handlebars can help as well, rolling them forward or rearward will adjust the your wrist angle as you grab the bars, that can make a huge difference too.

Well this is an Excellent Thread!!!!! I dont believe we have covered any of this to date:no:

I agree with Demon,,,How long have you been using a Thumb??? I find that whenever I ride with someone that isnt used to it they take alot of Breaks...My Wife is the same way,,I tried different Bar Positions and Throttle Angles and it helped some, but in the end it was a Throttle Extension that saved her...She loves it...Instead of it just hitting the Thumb its damn near to the palm of her hand...She kinda Twists her hand a little I guess....Ill ask her when she gets up.....

There is also another thing on the market too.....My buddy has one of these and Swears by it....Ive never tried it,,,But Ive ridden with him and I could see where it slowed him up any.....

Thanks for finding that MWKE!! I could not remember where I seen it at. Also put a Throttle Extension on my wifes Recon in the some position as MWKE's wife has hers.

Edited by BuckBilly

This is a Great Thread!!! I havent put a Thumb on my Spyder yet but I have been thinking about it....Every Dirtbike and street bike that I have owned in the past were Converted to Thumbs...:laugh:

My last one was a Ninja...Put a Seadoo Thumb on it....Two fingers up front...Kinda different...

The Ninja I built and my Buddy Piloting at Pismo....

YouTube - Nin-z (tri-z andNinja) drag trike Vs Fast ESR TRX 370 pismo

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Gary Patch
      hi have really old Honda 4x4 how do I find out model no  etc as need new starter motor think its 350 cc but not sure thanks in advance
    • By mikeexplorer
      PA Residents, please take a moment to send an email supporting this to [email protected]
      https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/41590987/proposed-changes-on-the-way-for-riding-atvs-on-state-forest-trails?fbclid=IwAR1EXkgtnRenBzFAKG5h1IOs7xDrNg6iedYSALckbjx2F5ZPjwdDFFij6Jc#.Xic-MeQ7aXY.facebook
      This week, the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) plans to outline proposed policy changes for ATV trails on state forest lands.  They will also be seeking public comment.
      Pennsylvania has more than 260 miles of ATV trails in state forests. The department is reviewing its policy to respond to increasing demands for riding opportunities and well as interest from local governments in expanding tourism.
      “The purpose of the policy is to provide guidance to DCNR when acquiring, developing and managing lands for ATV use by the public,” Secretary Cindy Adams Dunn said.
      There had been a moratorium on new trail development, but the policy revisions now authorize DCNR to consider new ATV trails and connectors on state forest lands.
      “New ATV trails will be considered, while still balancing the protection of natural resources as outlined in the Environmental Rights Amendment to the Pennsylvania Constitution, and the needs of all types of recreational users on DCNR lands,” Dunn said.
      In a 2016 survey of ATV users, more than 4,800 responded with many indicating a strong desire for more long-distance trails. Pennsylvania has around 285,000 registered ATVs. On state forest lands, ATV riding is allowed only on designated trails.
      Public comment will be taken at a meeting in Harrisburg Wednesday, January 22, from 10 a.m. to noon in Room 105 of the Rachel Carson State Office Building. Written comments can be submitted to [email protected]
      The deadline to submit comments is March 27.
      More information about ATV riding is on the DCNR website.

• By Julio Cano
      The tires which I bought on ebay cannot be balanced, it’s out of round.Tried riding and had wobble. 
      It was mounted in shop and they also put it on a rim they had sitting in the shop and same issue to confirm it.
      Are they defective ?
      They have brand new high quality tires for my  old suzuki gsxr750 and want about $600 for two tires.
      Is it worth it to pay that much or buy another set of front rear tires like Hexautoparts which has good reviews on trustpilot.com?
      Any recommendations ?
      Thank you.
    • By dgk_mike
      It will go into neutral, 1st, 2nd, and reverse but nothing after 2nd gear. The shifter moves freely going up completely nothing but when you shift down it works. I’m not sure if it’s tranny issue worth messing with or if I should just buy a new one.  Overall besides that the thing runs like new.

• By MarkinAR
      I'm likely going to have to drop the swingarm on a 300FW. Are the lock rings and pivot bolts standard or left handed threads?  I looked at the service manual and it doesn't specify left hand so I"m assuming standard right handed threads.  Not sure though.  The last Yamaha I had apart was regular right handed threads but haven't had a 300 apart before.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Roy Anderson
      I have a 2002 Suzuki LT-F500F, and am a first time atv  owner. I rode two wheel bikes for many years, and now, two months in to being a new at owner, am just not enamored with the thumb throttle, and I’m wondering if anyone has tried a conversion to a typical twist grip throttle as found on all motorcycles? If so, how do you like it?
    • By Casey hill
      Need some advice one my 98 Polaris trailboss. So I decided to put a twist throttle one my four wheeler(reason being it was cheaper and Polaris discontinued this throttle assembly) after switching throttles I cannot figure what to do with throttle override system. Any input would be greatly appreciated.thanks 
    • By maguire29
      Hi I bought an adly 300 atv the other day needing a few bits which I've done so it fires up and will run with and without choke however when I put it into gear and set off it gives just enough throttle to keep it moving give it abit more throttle and it bogs out i've had the carb stripped and cleaned with carb cleaner and an air line, fitted a new plug,changed the fuel changed the air filter, checked the cam timing about 5 times yet the problem persists and now I'm all outta ideas the engine is the same as the Honda trx 300 ex
    • By ghost_pit2001
      i have been looking at twist throtles for my lt230s but dont know the difference and noone seems to know between
      motion pro turbo
      motion pro cr competion
      this one on ebay 380207643654
      thanks for any advice or knowledge
    • Guest martinb
      By Guest martinb
      I am thinking very hard about converting throttle on my 1998 Recon, having many many years of motorcycle riding behind me. Anybody have any comments both adverse or positive, and which kind to buy? thank you. Martin