GaHonda

Rancher

Hi! I hope someone can help me. I have a 2001 Honda Rancher that is leaking oil at the crankcase vent hose in the air box. Does anyone have any suggestions. I read in other posts that it could be piston rings but there does not seem to be any power loss or excess smoke. If I do a compression check what should it read? Thanx for your help.....

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

I read somewhere that it is 12.0:1 ,but don't quote me on that... :P As far as how much your compression tester should read.....not sure. Do you have a manual?

Yes, I have a Clymer that reads 667 kPA (97PSI) @450 RPM. But how does that relate to using a comp. guage stuck in sparkplug hole while it is not running? Please excuse my ignorance as I have never had to use a comp. guage

Well what you need to do is: screw in that compression tester in place of the spark plug and then crank the engine about 4-5 times (it won't start without the plug). At the same time you should be looking at the gauge to see what the max psi is. That is how you get your cylinder compression reading.