Quantcast

2001 DS 650 tachometer issue!!!! helpppp

whats up guys i just got a question about a tach that i just bought. I kno the newer ds 650 bajas come stock with a tach but I bought a tach from autozone today that works with a distrubutorless ignition like every bike. The tach has 4 wires. a ground, power, wire for light, and the green wire which is what detects the rpms. i tried putting it EVERYWHERE on the ignition except any of the wires that come out of the cdi box. Anyone know where I should put that green wire? Or does anyone know where the wire for the factory tach on the ds 650 bajas go? please help i dont want the money I just spent on the tach to be a waste. I mounted the tach and everything :no:

If you could, please post the year of your machine so it can be added the the thread title. Did the tach not come with instruction? I would think that the wire would be connected to the negative primary terminal on the coil. Since your CDI system runs the coil straight to a chassis ground, there really is no negative primary on your coil. So the tach is probably not compatable with a CDI ignition. It may run off of the wire that runs from the CDI box to the coil, but I won't guarantee that it will work at all and if it did, the reading would be doubled because of the wasted spark. It may also run off of the signal that is generated by the pulse sensor, but again, I am not completely sure of that, but if it did work, you would still have the double reading. In short, I really don't think it will work. You would be better off getting a factory tach off of one of the Baja models, but I would consult a dealer to make sure it would work on your model.

If you have the cash for it, this may be of some interest to you. Vapor Kits: ATV at Trail Tech Home

my bike is a 2001. I ended up getting the tach to work. but turns out the tach only works for 4,6,8 cylinders so when my bike is at about 5000rpms it only shows about 2500 on the tach. I spliced the green wire into the spark plug wire. So Im going to start looking for a tach that works on single or twin cylinder engines. Thanks for the help

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By BenJammin
      I did a compression test on my 2005 Bombardier Traxter 650 CVT and it's 75 PSI.  service manual only talks about leak down test.  No specification for engine compression the manual.  What does 75 PSI tell me?  Thank in advance.

A little history of this machine.  640 miles.  Picked it up about 2 years ago, not running. Probably the computer.  Tested all circuits and confirm it was the computer.  Long story short, I watched a Youtube video and fixed the computer. ATV now started and runs.  BUT, it tops out 20 MPH.  I cleaned the carb 3 times also using a Mikuni carb kit after the second time.  Slide in carb is going up and down.  Only adjustment for fuel is at 1.5 turns out.  NGK Sparkplug had soot on main part but brown on the electrode.  Champion sparkplug is brown.  I check CVT clutches and they both appear to engage like they suppose to.  Checked valve clearance it's 0.00, I can't get any feeler gauges in-between.  I check timing chain I believe it's in the correct position and hasn't skipped.  I removed muffler plug and drilled into muffler to try and make sure it wasn't plugged.
    • By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By Tuzz
      Bucking started about a month ago and works ok after 1/2 hour warmup.  Today while working on it i discovered that if i put the ignition switch in LIGHT position it runs fine right from the start.
      I'm stumped!  Any idea why this could be?  

• By huntindog
      I am in the process of puting it back together after replacing the DPS gearbox.
      The manual I have states that it will need to be flashed by a dealer. Is this still true?
      Also , I have a mystery bolt That I cannot remember where it goes. M6x 70 or so.  Hex head with a flat washer.I will try to attach a pic.
      Pic is no go for now....Cox issue I will try again later
      TIA
    • By kawasig
      Hello All
      I'm kinda new to ATVs. I just bought a 1987 Suzuki quad runner 230 Dual Range. I'm having a problem finding info on it. It's very clean, only 2.800 miles. The front wheels are only 30 in.center to center. I was thinking about adding wheel spacers to give it more stability. I realize the added stress on ball joints and bearings. I'm wondering if there are any other concerns? Any input is greatly appreciated!