Quantcast

I just bought a rare beast!

Hello All

I'm kinda new to ATVs. I just bought a 1987 Suzuki quad runner 230 Dual Range. I'm having a problem finding info on it. It's very clean, only 2.800 miles. The front wheels are only 30 in.center to center. I was thinking about adding wheel spacers to give it more stability. I realize the added stress on ball joints and bearings. I'm wondering if there are any other concerns? Any input is greatly appreciated!

The Suzuki Quadsport LT230S (commonly referred to as the LT230 and also the "little brother" to the LT250R) was the first sport variety all-terrain vehicle sold in 1985.

It is powered by an overhead cam 2-valve 229 cc ("230") 4-stroke single-cylinder engine. It has a 5-speed manual clutch / manual shift drive train with reverse. The final drive is by 520-pitch chain. In 1st gear (stock) the quad would go: 16.7 mph (26.9 km/h); 2nd: 21.4 mph (34.4 km/h); 3rd: 32.2 mph (51.8 km/h); 4th: 41.9 mph (67.4 km/h); and finally in 5th gear the bike would go: 51.6 mph (83.0 km/h). It features hydraulic disc brakes front and rear, and independent double A-frame front suspension. The front A-arm suspension provided 6.3in of wheel travel. The rear is a solid axle. All the shocks are preload adjustable. The LT230 features a side-kick style starter, a feature not commonly seen on any kick start bike. The LT230 weighed in at only 309 lbs. The original retail price for the 230 was $1,969. In 1987, Suzuki released a slightly altered version known as the LT230E. It featured a semi-automatic transmission that had a different shift pattern than other listed models, electric start and recoil pull-start backup. After the LT230S' discontinuation in 1988, the LT230E remained in production until 1993. Suzuki also produced, for a period of two years, the LT250S. The suspension on the LT250S is a progressive rate with more travel. The LT250S is also wider and longer. The LT250S, although meant to replace the 230, was cut from production in 1990, the second and last year of their production.

I appreciate the info! But the lt230 quad sport is  completely different from Mine. This is a shaft drive utility with semi auto and a dual range transmission. No rear shocks at all. Huge back rack that connects to the foot pegs and has two plastic storage boxes mounted underneath. I can't seem to find any specs on it. 

No worries? They make so many models of the lt 230 it's hard to figure. I have found the Quad Runner is a semi auto, E is electric start and G stands for shaft drive. So Mine is a Quad Runner lt 230 GE, but the Dual Range trans makes it rare. They only made them in 86&87 from what I found. But Nothing on specs. They rear suspension is just the 25x12x9 tires and I believe some rubber bushings in the frame, no shocks. I would like to find the weight, capacities, ECT. I'm also looking for a shop manual for this and My Bayou 220 Kawasaki. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By semicolon
      Hi, I am having issues with my TRX350D fuel pump.  It suddenly stopped running so I have replaced all the fuses and cleaned all the terminals.  I have fitted a new pump, fuel cut-off relay and rectifier.  Still nothing!!  The pump runs when attached to a battery.  The engine will start on the choke and the filter fills with fuel but it will  not rev and dies when the choke is closed. I have power to the relay but nothing at the pump black/white wire when cranking the engine.  Any ideas where to go from here would be very much appreciated!!

• By Mhatayas
      What should I do about this , bad oil leak where the filter cover bolts on . Can I use some gasket maker 

• By Uglyside38
      I have a 1988 Quadrunner 250 2wd. My brother in law sold it to my son for $20...had been sitting outside for several years. Got it home and had it running in about 30 mins. Ran it a bit and then went to looking at the carb as it was having trouble idling. Was getting it pretty close, then started losing spark...Also, it wouldn't start up every time...only about 1 in 5 tries. Anyway...now, it has what I can only describe as "intermittent" spark. I can get 1 light spark right when the start button is pressed and sometimes one when it's released...but none while cranking. 🤷‍♂️

I have replaced the spark plug, ignition coil/wire, and traced wires best I can. I noticed a couple frayed wires at the pickup coil where it enters the case. So, now I have the cover off, stator and pickup coil out and trying to test the coil. I do have about 114 ohms resistance for pickup best I can tell. And I can read minute voltage when I drag a magnet across it. Could it still be bad? Can a bad ignition switch/button cause this? (I did have the switch off to oil the choke cable)...pulling rope makes no difference though...any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!!! It's the intermittent part that's throwing me off! 

• By N00bie
      From Arkansas. Just bought a 2012 Gator 850i RSX because I could not pass up the price. BUT it has an idle problem. So, to be honest, I joined just to get a service manual. I have a choice: 1)Buy a hard copy: ~$100; 2)Buy a CD ~$35.00; Get a direct download for free posting 10 times; or get a download for $29.00 (subscription). Haven't decided what to do yet.
    • By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????