Quantcast

400EX questions

Tagels

i have a few questions about the 400EX. first, say i got some aftermarket shocks that worked with the stock a-arms, would they work with +2 aftermarket a-arms? and also are a-arm skids really that important? i plan on getting a frame skid and a swing arm skid but i dont know if i should get a-arm skids..

As far as shocks go some will interchange from stock A-Arms to +2 A-Arms but your best bet is to check with the manufacture of the shock they would be able to tell you for sure. I would also defiantly recommend A-Arm guards I put a nice dent/bend in one of mine from a rock and had to replace it, if I would have had guards on it would have been a lot cheaper fix.

To use the stock arms with +2 arms you have to buy standard travel. Example, Lonestar sells +2 Long Travel a arms and +2 standard travel a arms. The long travel requires longer shocks, standard utilizes stock shocks.

The only difference in the a arms is the lower shock mount location. What kind of riding will you be doing. If you ride in rocky stuff, yes get a arm skid plates

• 2 weeks later...

When you go from stock lenght to +2 a-arms, you will want to have the shocks re-sprung and vavled. They will fit, but the suspension will get very mushy, especially if you are a bigger guy. I run 400EX spindles and Burgard +2 +1 a-arms for a 400EX on my 250R. I tried to use the stock shocks at first, but the front end would sink and dive when going over bumps. I am a bigger guy at 220, so it wouldn't be as bad for someone who weighs a little less. I would still recommend getting the shocks taylored to your weight, riding style and a-arm lenght. Skid plates anywhere are s good idea IMO, they won't always save the day, but they do soak up most of the everyday abuse that would be normally taken by the parts that they cover. Many manufacturers of aftermarket a-arms will guarantee their parts. I bought some Burgard +2 +1 for mine, $350 shipped. They are notably more durable that the stocks, they are chromemoly, so they are lighter in-spite of being thicker, and the tie rods dwarf the stockers. The best part is, if I bend one, I send it back, and it gets replaced no questions asked. The thicker the skid plate the better IMO,

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Gwbarm
      I Ran across this video today comparing an aftermarket to OEM Carb on Suzuki Vinson, thought it might generate some interest, it is quite long but informative.

• By McG75
      Hello I’m new here and was wondering is anyone knew of good replacement part numbers for front struts and rear shocks for this atv? I think I’ve found a new rear shock, that looks like the original but there is no dimensions or anything and was wondering if there are any afterMarket new front struts available. I know it’s a long shot but any help would be appreciated. 
    • By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.
    • By p5200
      Hello, what is the best method for installing bearings into their race? I've set one in place and tapped it down until it was metal on metal. Is that sufficient? Surely it's not supposed to go into the race until flush? Also. does the coil spring on the seal go into carrier bearing housing not facing out? Thanks! 🙂 Seal goes in until flush correct?
    • By kawasig
      Hello there
      I'm having a problem finding a quality carburetor for a 1993 Suzuki Quad Runner lt-f 250 2x4. I find a lot that have 3-4 star ratings. And all so far don't have the right throttle Cable inlet at the top. The last one I got 4 star on Amazon has a threaded cable sheath rest that could be partially drilled to work. I would prefer to get one I don't have to modify. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!