Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

2000 King Quad 300 Carb issue

hyhatchi

Here goes, I purchased the quad at the beginning of the summer and it ran like a beast. I went to visit family and it sat in the garage for two months while i was gone. I had my cousin take it out once or twice a week to just putter around on so the gas wouldn't go stagnant in the tank or fuel bowl because i'm all to familiar with the horrors this can incur. so i get back from vacation and go to start it and it spins over for forever and doesnt star so i choked it which was something i never had to do before to get it to start. well it started and ran beautifully till i turned the choke off. well to make a long story short it wouldnt idle right and kept stalling so i adjusted the idle which had no affect. so i pulled the carb and cleaned it all out because id purchased a Jet kit while i was gone and wanted to install it. (please dont say you should have made it idle right before installing the jet kit because i knew that before i decided to do it anyway) so kit is installed and carb back together. wasnt all that dirty just some crap in the fuel bowl. so i spray all the jets out and put everything back together and fire it up. It idles perfectly now but wen you give gas from the idle position to about 1/4 throttle it stumbles and stutters and doesnt want to accelerate. Sometimes it stalls sometimes not. but from 1/4 throttle to redline it accelerates beautifully. also wen i let off the throttle while going down a hill and engine braking the exaust pops and sputters a bit. If anyone out there can help it would be much appreciated

I think that a simple pilot screw adjustment will cure your problem. Turn the pilot screw to the point where it idles highest, then adjust the idle if needed. It sounds like you are a bit rich on the low end. I would try to adjust the pilot screw first, but if you have to turn it too far, you may need a smaller pilot jet. Did you up the size of your pilot jet too? What was the reason for installing the jet kit? Unless you have added some aftermarket performance parts, ie. exhaust or high flow intake, a stock machine will only tolerate slight jetting changes unless your altitude or climate requires it. If you are unsure of where to find the pilot screw, it is usually directly in front of the float bowl on the bottom side of the carb. They are hard to get to on some machines.

Edited by DirtDemon

alright ill try that out tomorrow and get back to you. I installed the jet kit because i wanted to up the power a bit and dont have the money for exaust and jets so i bought the cheeper one first. Also i didnt change the pilot jet the only jets that came in the kit were mains and new needle for the vacum diaphram thing and the e clip and a spacer. which is set on groove #2 from the top which is were the kit told me to set it which was also where the stock needle was set. Also i adjusted the fuel/air mixture when i got the kit because it told me to turn it clockwise until it seated then turn out 2 1/2 turns. This was the stock setting as well. The mixture screw is a real pain to get to because its on the bottom like you said and the carb has to be taken loose and flipped over every time its adjusted.

Edited by hyhatchi