Quantcast

Security Alarm

tds7

I noticed that most ATVs are stolen already loaded on/in the trailer. The trailer and ATVS are stolen together. The best security is to make sure the trailer is secured to your tow vechile. This includes the tongue, ball, and reciever.

A cool security measure I read about was someone using a old cellphone with GPS hidden on the ATV and wired into the battery. If the ATV was stolen then the owner would call the phone in stolen and locate it via the GPS. Some Phone plans let you add an additional line for $10 or less. I think some newer phones even let you see your phones location on GPS for like tracking your kids location.

I noticed that most ATVs are stolen already loaded on/in the trailer. The trailer and ATVS are stolen together. The best security is to make sure the trailer is secured to your tow vechile. This includes the tongue, ball, and reciever.

A cool security measure I read about was someone using a old cellphone with GPS hidden on the ATV and wired into the battery. If the ATV was stolen then the owner would call the phone in stolen and locate it via the GPS. Some Phone plans let you add an additional line for $10 or less. I think some newer phones even let you see your phones location on GPS for like tracking your kids location.

Thanks for the reply

Good Idea, but will the GPS feature work if the phone is off, I've heard it will but I don't know. I'm really concerned at home security, my ATV never been on a trailer or hauled, and my nearest neighbor is about a 1/4 mile away.

In the case I was speaking of the phone was left on with the ringer on silent and a battery charger hard wired into the quads battery.

Another easy thing is to pull the spark plug wire when not riding. If you live a 1/4 mile alway from the nearest neighbor then thats alot of pushing if they can't get the quad started.

That's a heck of a good idea, not only will you get your quad back, you'll catch the thief and no doubt other stolen items at his hiding spot.

wow thats really clever....i like that

Swampcat07 and BioWare', Thank You

Both are really good ideas, one of the guys I work with had 2 ATVs stolen off him in years past.

The last one was stolen after the thieves took a truck and ripped the doors along with door framing off his barn.

He said he took a post hole digger and dug a hole about 30'" deep, fastened a length of chain to a screw in mobile home storm anchor and screwed it partially in bottom of hole and filled hole with concrete. Now he just wraps the chain around his frame or axle and locks it up, nobody has stolen another one since.

And I think if you would put a piece of 4"pipe of the right length with a hole cut in it to access the lock on the chain it would take some time to get to chain or lock loose to steal it.

I bought a Bulldog Alarm that detects shock or current drain, have not installed it yet. I think I'm going to go with the buried anchor chain and alarm, and as soon as I can get one of those pay as you go phones and attach to ATV, great idea, the cheapest theft GPS plan I found was around $250 a year.

• 9 months later...

i have the steel loops in the garage floor and also have an alarm system on the garage ... but i also have a nice little sneaky trick called a baby monitor that will alert me to any noise in the garage ... then its hot lead flying and bad guys dieing ... plus i keep my truck and van parked against the roll up garage door ....