Quantcast

1992 Yamaha Big Bear Troubles...Please Help

lindo1951

Hi everyone. I have a 1992 Big Bear 4x4 that is giving me grief. About a week ago I had the bike running but the idle was very slow. So I adjusted the idle screw and then the bike shut off. I fooled with the screw for a couple of days but it still would not start.

So today I changed the spark plug and took the carburetor off the bike. I cleaned it all up and put it back on the bike. The bike fired up after a couple hits of the starter button and I was very happy. I let it run for a few minutes and it sounded great. I then jumped on the bike and moved it about 20 feet and stopped. The bike still idled away but was a little slow again. I turned up the idle screw a little and the idle speed increased to a good pace. I then went to move the bike again and it started to make sort of a cracking or pinging sound and shut off. Now it will not start again. I should add that it had made those sounds a few times before the bike died the first time on me. WHAT DO I DO!!!!! It is driving me crazy. I hope that someone out there can help me out.

Thanks to all in advance.

Steve

I would start by checking things like vavle clearance, compression, make sure you have a good plug and a clean air filter. If it has been sitting for a while, you might drain the fuel and put new gas in it. Also, when you cleaned the carb, did you take it completely apart and clean every hole, and make sure the jets were clear? I would run through all of these things, your problems could be related to any of them. Good luck.

timing chain would have to be pretty whipped to do that, but it's possible. I agree I think you should start at the valve adjustments- it is often neglected. check your book for how to adjust the timing chain. most Yammers have the adjuster sticking out of the back, under the carb. you'll need a book to adjust it correctly.

if the chain is loose enuf to rub against something and make noise, then your valve timing is all over the place and that could easily be your slow idle- retarded timing. It's usually a simple procedure but check out a book first.

the cracking/pinging sound worries me, and the idle up. it could be valves hitting the piston- not good!

weird idle adjustment could be slack in that timing chain and that could let the valves smack the piston crown. I'll think on it some more.

Swing by Harbor freight and buy an automotive stethoscope- cheap and many uses- including scaring your friends! If not, use a long screwdriver. start it up and put the screwdriver in various places on the engine, put your ear aginst it and see if you can isolate where the sound is coming from. that could tell us a lot.

Edited by Raptor8

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By N00bie
      From Arkansas. Just bought a 2012 Gator 850i RSX because I could not pass up the price. BUT it has an idle problem. So, to be honest, I joined just to get a service manual. I have a choice: 1)Buy a hard copy: ~$100; 2)Buy a CD ~$35.00; Get a direct download for free posting 10 times; or get a download for $29.00 (subscription). Haven't decided what to do yet.
    • By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave
    • By Louznmemind
      Howdy y'all, I'm trying to fix a neighbors 2015 Brute Force 300. Came in with hard to start and won't idle except on choke issue. I pulled the carb and found the pilot jet as well as the emulsion tube partially clogged. Cleaned up everything, put it back together, still having issues...  It will start right up on choke and will also start off choke if you give it just a touch of throttle but it absolutely will not idle unless it's choked just a touch. Also, excuse my ignorance but I'm assuming the "dial" thingy attached to the carb that turns in and out is for setting idle?? 
    • By McG75
      Hello I’m new here and was wondering is anyone knew of good replacement part numbers for front struts and rear shocks for this atv? I think I’ve found a new rear shock, that looks like the original but there is no dimensions or anything and was wondering if there are any afterMarket new front struts available. I know it’s a long shot but any help would be appreciated. 
    • By HSTAR
      Hey I have a 1997 big bear 350 4x4
      I replaced the shifter shaft and the shift arm linkage and the rod when I installed them all I was unaware that you had to line the dot on the shifter shaft with the gap on the linkage arm gap put it all back  together and rode it I can't get it to shift in the right gears  I can move the shift cam by hand and goes in different gears but with the shifter shaft in it riding I can't put it in R or N 
      Anyone know how to line up the shifter shaft and the shift cam s