Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

irishshn1

2001 Suzuki Quadrunner high idle/backfire when shut down

Hi,

Newbie here! I recently bought my first ATV - an 01 Quadrunner 500 4x4, semi-auto, shaft driven. I love it...came with a plow/winch setup and all. Low miles, only 1250.

Problem is that after riding it for a short time (even 5-10 mins) and shifting down into neutral, the engine revs up to almost scary rpms. It doesnt die down until I shift in and out of 1st a couple times. Then when I go to shut it down, it lets off an incredible backfire. Am I doing something wrong or does this point to an issue someone is familiar with. Ive run through a tank of fuel, added stabilizer...but to no avail.

(I read through several threads and never found one similar to mine.)

Thanks!

Welcome to QUADCRAZY and Congrats on your first ATV!

Sounds like you are getting too much fuel and backpressure is building. Have you adjusted anything on the carb, like the idle screw? How does it start cold, does the choke work and does it idle well?

* Added manufacturer to thread title.

Hi, thank you for a response. The quad starts right up when cold with the choke set about half way. I release the choke back to the off position after about 2-3 minutes and she idles just fine. I can leave it idling like that for quite a while with no issues.

I have not adjusted the idling screw on the carb, what would be the best way of getting at it? And do I turn in a clock-wise or counter clock-wise manner? Thank you!

If it's the same as mine the idle adjustment is on the right side just under bowl. It's a cable style adjuster so it's "remote" so to speak. It should have KNOB look to it. Clockwise increases idle speed, counter decreases

Found the idle screw which had a gold knob over it. Gave it a couple small turns to lean it out and she is running much better now. This seems to have done the trick! Thank you all for the help.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By David Robinson
      Hello,
      Does anyone have any experience with Bronco or Race Driven shocks? I have a 1987 Big Bear 350 and looking for a rear replacement shock and those seem to be the only 2 brands available anymore.
    • By dirtjunkie85
      Just wanted everyones opinon on riding glove I do long desert races and none of the glove i have wore seem to hold up really good they always wear fast and dont do much to prevent blisters any advice thanks.
    • By Michael Rogers
      Anyone ever replaced the shifter shaft on one? Not sure on the year but assuming it is in the late 90's. Is it a huge task, splitting the case etc... thinking about buying it as my next project.

Thanks
    • By pablo Blake
      Its in pretty rough shape and its gonna be my first atv, I worked on bikes before but nothing to do with quads. Anyways the quad has some problems and im tryna figure out what to focus on first. So the U joints i think are shot. The bike starts first try every time ussually have to give it a lil gas with the throttle and revs right up, idles fine but its running REALLY rich 3 starts and my brand new plug was pitch black

Bike is L model

video-1577465068.mp4

Its using the original mikuni carb but im not the best at fixing the carbs and wondering if there is anywhere online that would be able to either walk me through it or help me with it i didnt see a air mixture screw so it seems like im gonna half to open it up and adjust like the float and a couple other things
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Jers
      I need to know what I have and what tire really go on it, Mine has 24x11x10 on the back and 22x8x10 on the front and I need new tire but I don't think are the right size. Also I can't find the model number listed but it looks like a 250 quadrunner 2wd and I think it is a 1987 maybe, can anyone help me, also I it has a rich running sound and I put a carb diap in it and cleaned the carb. is there a jet needing replaced?
    • By chevynova
      I have a 1988 Suzuki quadrunner 250 4wd it will run if I pop start it but it will not run if I elec. Start or pull start I repair crab four times I got spark compression is good . When it is running it runs fine but I let the gas go it dies please help thank you
    • By greatwhite
      My 2000 suzuki quadrunner 500 has a leak at the rear of the crank case cover. You can see the oil very lightly spitting out when you look at it from the rear. I first found the bolt loose and I tighten it just lightly (I think they say 8 ft pounds). That stop part of the leak, but you can still see it coming out at the gasket between the two halves.
      I am mechanically inclined, but was just wondering if there are any surprises I might be aware of when I take off the pull cord assembly, shifter ext.
      Do you think there could be any other issues when I get it apart?? Doesn't appear to be any crack and I can see it just slightly spay out right in one little spot where the bolt is.
      Any help is appreciated.
    • By oldandnew
      morning all, looking for a little help...i have little and none experience with quads, am fairly handy with diy on my truck and car so im not totally engine illiterate lol...was given an old quad, had to tow start it to load it. took it home, checked the oil, plug, carb, air filter, battery...hhmm...drained and flushed fuel tank, new fuel, spark is good, tried to battery start, wont start, tow start and off i went. warmed the engine, half hr burn, came home, wont idle and died. started off battery with thumb throttle pumping. cool! wont idle died. damn. started again off battery with thumb pumping. back in business? shut it down. checked over machine, lookin good for a free new toy lol...next day wont start...hhmm..found fuel puddle on my garage floor. traced it, carb overflow. easy fix, dirty gas means dirty carb. removed carb painstakingly slow (first time on a 4 stroke carb) and cleaned outside. on to bench, started stripping, fairly simply carb, removed floats, needle valve, jet, inspected, washed thouroughly with brake clean and blew with compressed air to dry. put together. installed. tried to start. wont start. fuel puddle on floor and that brings me here...pls help...where do i go from here?
    • By redmomat
      I have a 1994 Suzuki quad runner 250 4x4 the problems im having is that when I start it it idles really high or really low but when I shift into gear it idles fine and then when im driving if it has below half a tank it has the tendancy to die and then I have to blow into the breather tube of the gas cap then it will start up do u have any suggestions