Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

KBB or NADA - are they close?

This is partly a rant but mostly a question.

Ive been looking for a used utility ATV and trying to rely on the NADA and/or Kelley Blue Book listing to see if the asking prices are in the ballpark. Around here, it seems as if everyone is asking $500-$1000 and more (and in one case twice as much) than the guidelines indicate the actual value should be. Even NADA and KBB can be several hundred dollars different.

Does anyone follow these guidelines? Do you consider them when buying or selling an ATV?

I was looking at a 2003 Kawasaki Prairie 650 on Craigslist. The guy was asking $3,600 for it. NADA had the value listed at $3,125 and KBB at $2,910 (in excellent condition). The ATV was missing a front grill guard and a previous owner had pasted 700cc stickers on it (which raises other questions). The seller would only come down $100. I passed on it. Does this sound reasonable for a bike like this? I offered $3,100 but I thought that was still a little high.

it all depends on location reallly. here in canada, a brand new bike will cost $2,000+ more than in the U.S., so our used bikes hold a bigger value. refine the brand and model you want then go on craiglist from one coast to the other and in between, and you'll see. if you really have your heart set on a particular bike, check it out all over, get an average, and if its in good shape with low hours etc., then it might be a little higher than the average, and if you really want it, then you'll pay the little bit more for it. JMO

I rarely go by books. The book can say whatever it wants and if people won't pay that much, Is it really worth what they are saying? If I want something I will check around to see what is in my budget and then go with the one I feel is giving me the most value. Alot of this is up to you. If you like Yamaha you might pay more for one where I like Polaris so I would pay more for that. Value of anything is really up to how much is it worth to you. I can admit I have already payed way more than something is worth just because I wanted it.