Quantcast

2003 Yamaha Raptor 660 - Engine Stalls And Dies

crx686

HI

I have a Raptor 660 2003.. I'm having a problem of the engine staling out when i Ride it.. I turn it on and it sounds fine now when I take it out and rev it up it starts choking and starts dieing on me...It doesn't do this all the time. I got to ride it for five mins then it starts to choke.. the carb has been rebuilt about 6 months ago....is there a oil pressure switch on this model?? Thanks for your help..

I can't really tell. I would think its starving for fuel..But It starts right back up once it dies.. I was thinking it was the stater. Isn't that where it gets its timing? My friend told me its computer timed which i don't know...

Sounds like the carb and the floats or fuel line going into the tank. Pull the line off and make sure you have a good flow to the carb. Turn petcock on and off to see. also check the floats when the slide up to the top that they are not sticking at the top and not letting fuel back in to the float bowl.

i see you had the same type of problem a year ago, when it was stored over the winter, did you empty the tank or put stabilizer in it? are you running this with the old gas still in it? if you are, i would dump the old gas and put in fresh, and a new spark plug. JMO

Edited by oxidized_black

The problem i had last year was a little different. THe gas is not old. I fixed it a year ago the carb was rebuilt and was running good every sense until a couple of months.. I already changed the spark plug. Also made sure there was oil getting to the cam and valves at top...Now it does burn oil. But sometimes the quad will work for about a hour then start choking. Thinking its electric now what i dont know is if the timing is off i dont know how to check that.

pop your plug out when its cold and turn it over and look at the spark. then ride it for that hour and do the same thing with the plug. if the colo(u)r is weaker, you have a bad coil. timing might still be good, carb is good, valve seals might need changing if alot of oil, but if not, just make sure you check your oil when you go out to ride ...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By rgeiser
      View File 2003 Polaris Ranger 400-500 service manual
      2003 Polaris Ranger 400-500 service manual
      Submitter rgeiser Submitted 04/18/2024 Category Polaris UTV  
    • By N00bie
      From Arkansas. Just bought a 2012 Gator 850i RSX because I could not pass up the price. BUT it has an idle problem. So, to be honest, I joined just to get a service manual. I have a choice: 1)Buy a hard copy: ~$100; 2)Buy a CD ~$35.00; Get a direct download for free posting 10 times; or get a download for $29.00 (subscription). Haven't decided what to do yet.
    • By semicolon
      Hi, I am having issues with my TRX350D fuel pump.  It suddenly stopped running so I have replaced all the fuses and cleaned all the terminals.  I have fitted a new pump, fuel cut-off relay and rectifier.  Still nothing!!  The pump runs when attached to a battery.  The engine will start on the choke and the filter fills with fuel but it will  not rev and dies when the choke is closed. I have power to the relay but nothing at the pump black/white wire when cranking the engine.  Any ideas where to go from here would be very much appreciated!!

• By skittle021
      So I've got a Hisun 550 that I was doing some work on that required removing the CVT and it's housing. Upon attempting to reinstall the clutch, sheaves, etc, I found that the belt no longer fits - it's far too wide. None of the parts have been replaced, they're all OEM. Exactly the same parts as what I took off a few weeks ago.
      To be more specific, my belt is 1.25in wide, but the gap between the clutch and the primary sheave is only 7/8in wide. I'll include a few photos to explain.
      Has anyone ever experienced such a bizarre problem? Any help at all would be appreciated, I've been stuck on this for a month. I'm open to just about any suggestion.
      Photos: 

• By Its-always-something
      Have a 1998 AC 300 2x4, Just installed a new carburetor. Engine starts easy but the choke RPMs are very hi and take along time (5-10 mins when cold out). After engine has warmed up choke releases and it idles and runs fine., It does no have an electric choke. The choke lever is never used and it seems like an auto choke? Long story short, how can I lower the choke rpm levels?

Also, carb came with a spare145 jet, not 100% sure what is installed. Could this impact choke RPMs?

Any help and information greatly appreciated.