Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

osufans

Big Bear 400 4x4; Improve Ride??

Hey all. I just went trail riding this weekend with a friend who has a KingQuad. Coming from only knowing solid rear axles, I was FLOORED at how much better his quad rode. I've been told this is something inherent to most IRS quads. I don't really want to get a new one, but boy oh boy would I like to see if there is anything out there to improve the way my Big Bear rides.

For the most part, I only use my quad for towing, pulling, and plowing...so I think I'm better off for having a SRA, but I just thought I'd ask what, if anything, I could try to help.

A few things about my quad: It is bone stock. Stock rims/tires, stock exhaust...etc.

I have heard maybe tires could improve the handling (less sidewall roll), but other than that, I was curious what else to try.

Thanks!

there isn't alot you can do to match the ride. i too, went from straight axle to the cadillac ride. when i got my grizz, i also went from manual shift to auto, and it was another nice change !!

maybe different tires would give some more comfort

Yeah, I actually like having the manual shifter though. Lots of times I was using a lower gear to engine brake going down hills and whatnot. I noticed the auto did a decent job of it too, but I felt like I had more control with the manual.

However, I bet for plowing (lots of forwards/backwards) an auto would be nice.

I need tires for it anyway, so I"ll try that route first. Thanks!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Ted Aregi
      I've got a king quad 750cc has anyone converted the fuel pump relay to a stronger fuel pump relay on there king quad?
    • By Rich1028
      Hitting the Trail in the Morning.

Heading out to Leota Trails 
      http://www.upnorthtrails.org/trails/leota-trail.html

Breaking in the Wife's New Ride.

Have Fun and Ride Safe People!

• By Brandon Bollinger
      Doesnt seem to make the sound all the time. Mostly does it under load or going up an incline. Its kind of like a clunk and or grinding noise, Kind of hard to decipher. Today while going up an incline it actually stopped and it sounds like something spinning and then it ingauged again and it would move. I checked the clutches and installed a new belt before it did that also. Rear drive shaft seems ok where U joint is too. Has all new rear CV shafts and bearings and al new bushings in rear arms. Also flushed out the rear Diff with no shavings. Any ideas or where to check. 
    • By Andrzej Polak
      hi
      Where installing a winch to KINGQUAD ltf300?? someone have any pic?
    • By Dra O
      posted a while back - it was running at one point - I have all the plastic shroud off - it's down to frame and engine now
      -fuel pump: when line from petcock is attached, no fuel comes out other side to carb; the line to the carb is open (can blow through it); I thought when I cranked engine that the pump would spit out fuel on other side but it does not; I removed fuel pump and opened it up - diaphragm looks good - but internal areas had lotsa calcification build up - I cleaned this out and dried it good - the clear plastic pieces (?diaphragms) aren't broken - the spring w/ steel ball on end moves freely; am putting it back on tomorrow; but can anyone answer about the pump? isn't it supposed to pump fuel through it... to other side... to carb? puzzling
      -along with fuel pump: I replaced petcock 3 weeks ago (gas tank had rusty fuel in bottom - cleaned it out prior to new petcock); when I turn petcock arrow NOT to on or reserve, fuel comes out of line; when I turn it to on or reserve, fuel doesn't come out; puzzling
      -I don't know what's on back of fuel pump - it's a valve that has a hose coming out of it - looks like it goes to engine/carb - I haven't traced this out yet - what is it?
      -can squirt gas on air filter and engine will run for 2-3 seconds then stop - fuel in top of carb (under diaphragm) does same
      -it likely needs carb rebuild - will get to this - but something isn't allowing fuel to get from fuel pump to carb
      -I THINK it has a mikuni model x carb - diaphragm is ID 26mm  OD 68mm - hard to find inexpensive diaphragm, I guess because it's a model x
      -last thing - I replaced solenoid due to old one clicking; I HAVE to be charging the battery or it won't start/turn over - battery just goes dead; but if charging, it'll turn over nicely; i'm guessing it's a bad battery
      -any help appreciated - I've never owned an ATV before - inherited this beast from grandparent in-law
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Wali
      I was riding my 400ex one day and when i shut it off to put it in the garage i tried to start it put again to drive it into the garge and it wouldnt start.I put a compression tester on it and its like 30 psi with out throttle and 0 psi WITH THROTTLE.
      when i put my finger over the hole it fell likes its pulling my finger in more then its pushing it out 

Has good spark.When i took it into the shop the said it had 1oz of oil in it and a tiny pit of metal shaving(TINY BIT LIKE 30 flakes)
      When i try to pull start (push start/roll start) it made a not normal sound  and wouldnt stay running.
      If my bottom end is blow why would it still turn over fine,
      Are my valves siezed or not working properly 
      or is my timing off causeing valves to not open in correct order with fire 
      PLEASE HELP all help is appreciated 
    • By Hunter Aldridge
      Some times I get spark some times not can ride then it just dies and wont get spark it has new cdi box and stator but I don't know if it has the pickup coil I'm at a loss
    • By William Sims
      I have a 400 4by4 ,2005 green model,
      wounding how many different CDI boxes will work on it

• By jerry houston
      Eiger 400 Suzuki runs fine Cook-Out joke face off the handlebars put it back on and will not start now will crank no no spark
    • By colin james
      View File 2012-2014 Polaris Sportsman 400 HD Service Manual
      This the factory service manual for the 2012- 2014 sportsman 400 hd service manual 
      Submitter colin james Submitted 02/08/2019 Category Polaris ATV