cbbubby78

need advice about cdi meter readings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a 95 bayou 220 not sparking. i have measured all of the connectors on the cdi and most are within the manuals ranges. but there are a couple that measured alot higher than their given ranges. does this indicate the cdi is bad ?

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

i'm not sure on that. how was the voltage running thru the system? did you check the regulator?

ok was you meaning the exciter coil and the pickup coil? if so i checked resistance on both and here is what i got. exciter in manual said between 100 - 190 and i got 133, the pickup said between 85 - 130 and i got 114. when i was checking resistance in the cdi it was mostly the blue wire paired with other wires that was giving off alot higher readings and the blue wire comes from the pickup coil. any idea what else i might try ?

Do you have a buddy with a similar quad where you can swap out the CDIs?

unfortunately not, it would be nice though because i really don't want to pay for another one and then find out that is not the problem. i already bought another ignition coil and sparkplug and neither of those fixed it. is there any other way to test the cdi besides just measuring resistance?

I need help on a 2006 Artic cat 400 fis 4x4 automatic no spark I need to know the ohms that the trigger should have , I have replaced the spark plug,coil,battery,and rewound the magneto ...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By bradleyheathhays
      2011 Grizz 700 here and so far the only thing I've been told about replacing my coolant is that I should put the same color stuff back in that came out. But other than that nothing specific. A search through both the service or owner's manual gave no coolant info other than capacity. Here's a comparison of the old and the proposed new...

The stuff on the left, what's coming out, is a blue-green. I'm second owner and only put about 75 miles on the machine, so I have no idea how old this coolant is.
      Stuff on the right is the new coolant the guy at the car shop suggested, and is more of a pure lighter translucent blue. It's Pentofrost NF, whatever that is. He said it's what's recommended for European, including BMWs. Here's the bottle...

So...
      1) have I found the right coolant?
      and
      2) does this stuff need to be diluted? The bottle says it's 'full strength.'
    • By bayoubill
      can anyone tell me if its ac or dc for sure? its a 4 stroke gy6 type engine.
    • By warlordxx
      ok I just picked up this bike and the guy that had it cut a bunch of the wires.... so what I need is to know what wires coming out of the CDI hook up to just so I can get it to spark both the key and kill switch wires are gone I dont need it to be 100 just need to know if it will fire... this is what I have...
      connector 1
      green
      black-blue stripe
      connector 2
      orange
      black-white stripe
      connector 3
      white-blue stripe
      thank you for your help
    • By lovelymommy
      Hello! I am new here and I need some help from the experts. My 9 year old son was given an adult sized 4 wheeler for Christmas. He has never ride one and has never taken a training course. Of course, I just found out about this but was never consulted about him getting this, either.
      Anyways, he was able to ride it this morning and has never had any safety training and honestly, I am petrified he is going to get hurt. It will happen, it's just when.
      I am in the state of Indiana and the law states you must be 14 years old to operate unless there is direct supervision of an 18 year old or other. What exactly does "direct supervision " mean? Is rhis within site of the person riding or is it someone that is ON the ATV?
      Also if there are ANY SUGGESTIONS you guys can give me regarding this it would be helpful.
      My son is only 9 and a very immature 9 year old at that. I feel he has no business being on this without proper training but apparently that isn't as important to some people.
      Also, if there is anyone in the state of Indiana on here that can tell me the rules that would be awesome.
      *in addition* the 4 wheeler is for an adult. My son is only 4 foot 9 and 65 pounda. He's tiny. I am afraid he is certainly nowhere close to having the weight to control this machine.
    • By Mike8623
      OK guys, Ive got a 1996 suzuki king quad 300. Just where and how do you get to the CDI unit on these? Is there a way to check these if you dont have the suzuki tool or meter?