Quantcast

Back in the game, Which sport/race quad ??

Little background on my ATV history...I'm 39, been riding since I was little kid, first ATV was a Honda ATC 70 3 wheeler back in the day "late 70's, early 80's, cant remember"...Had a pile of dirt bikes over the years, then got into quads when they first came out...Raced MX for years in my late teens & early 20's...Yamaha Banshee in open 2 stroke, and Honda 300ex when it first came out "and was the hottest 4 stroke going"...Got out of riding after that and haven't owned a quad since then "mid to late 90's"...Looking to get back into trail riding and maybe race some XC once I get back into riding shape again.

We "me, wife & kids" are getting ready to buy a Polaris Ranger Crew Cab so we have room to put around with the kids and I hunt a lot and will use it for that...But I want something fast to ride again, I'm not a utility quad kinda guy when it comes to trail riding, they are to slow and heavy for my taste...So now I'm looking for a good used race/sport quad, really want to stay with a 450...

So between the YFZ 450, TRX 450, LTR 450 & KFX 450 which one should I really consider??? I was always a Yamaha and then Honda guy. Looking for something in the 2006-2009 model range. I've been hitting the local shops up here in South Dakota "just moved here" and have found a few but not a lot, not much in the way of sport/race bikes in this area...Been looking a lot online but not finding a ton in the immediate area.

I'm just not up to date on the modern 4 stroke race bikes, I was always a 2 stroke guy back in the day and knew all about the Banshee, 250r & Quadracers back then but those are all ancient history now days.

Little background on my ATV history...I'm 39, been riding since I was little kid, first ATV was a Honda ATC 70 3 wheeler back in the day "late 70's, early 80's, cant remember"...Had a pile of dirt bikes over the years, then got into quads when they first came out...Raced MX for years in my late teens & early 20's...Yamaha Banshee in open 2 stroke, and Honda 300ex when it first came out "and was the hottest 4 stroke going"...Got out of riding after that and haven't owned a quad since then "mid to late 90's"...Looking to get back into trail riding and maybe race some XC once I get back into riding shape again.

We "me, wife & kids" are getting ready to buy a Polaris Ranger Crew Cab so we have room to put around with the kids and I hunt a lot and will use it for that...But I want something fast to ride again, I'm not a utility quad kinda guy when it comes to trail riding, they are to slow and heavy for my taste...So now I'm looking for a good used race/sport quad, really want to stay with a 450...

So between the YFZ 450, TRX 450, LTR 450 & KFX 450 which one should I really consider??? I was always a Yamaha and then Honda guy. Looking for something in the 2006-2009 model range. I've been hitting the local shops up here in South Dakota "just moved here" and have found a few but not a lot, not much in the way of sport/race bikes in this area...Been looking a lot online but not finding a ton in the immediate area.

I'm just not up to date on the modern 4 stroke race bikes, I was always a 2 stroke guy back in the day and knew all about the Banshee, 250r & Quadracers back then but those are all ancient history now days.

I have a built 2007 TRX450ER with Fox Long Travel that I'm asking $4,000. I'm in Colorado.

the honda seems to be more reliable and cheaper to repair and maintain ..but i would stay away from the electric start and get 1 with a kicker ... i work on atv's here in my shop and also for a local dealer when they are backed up.. and we change starter clutches (one way gear) on the 450 honda almost as much as u would replace the break pads on it .. especially if you start and stop every 10 to 20 min every time u ride for a day or weekend ... but the oil chainge maintance also has something to do with it ..bikes that get oil changes on a regular basis dont ware the starter clutches out as much ..