Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

J-Daddy

Back in the game, Which sport/race quad ??

Little background on my ATV history...I'm 39, been riding since I was little kid, first ATV was a Honda ATC 70 3 wheeler back in the day "late 70's, early 80's, cant remember"...Had a pile of dirt bikes over the years, then got into quads when they first came out...Raced MX for years in my late teens & early 20's...Yamaha Banshee in open 2 stroke, and Honda 300ex when it first came out "and was the hottest 4 stroke going"...Got out of riding after that and haven't owned a quad since then "mid to late 90's"...Looking to get back into trail riding and maybe race some XC once I get back into riding shape again.

We "me, wife & kids" are getting ready to buy a Polaris Ranger Crew Cab so we have room to put around with the kids and I hunt a lot and will use it for that...But I want something fast to ride again, I'm not a utility quad kinda guy when it comes to trail riding, they are to slow and heavy for my taste...So now I'm looking for a good used race/sport quad, really want to stay with a 450...

So between the YFZ 450, TRX 450, LTR 450 & KFX 450 which one should I really consider??? I was always a Yamaha and then Honda guy. Looking for something in the 2006-2009 model range. I've been hitting the local shops up here in South Dakota "just moved here" and have found a few but not a lot, not much in the way of sport/race bikes in this area...Been looking a lot online but not finding a ton in the immediate area.

I'm just not up to date on the modern 4 stroke race bikes, I was always a 2 stroke guy back in the day and knew all about the Banshee, 250r & Quadracers back then but those are all ancient history now days.

Little background on my ATV history...I'm 39, been riding since I was little kid, first ATV was a Honda ATC 70 3 wheeler back in the day "late 70's, early 80's, cant remember"...Had a pile of dirt bikes over the years, then got into quads when they first came out...Raced MX for years in my late teens & early 20's...Yamaha Banshee in open 2 stroke, and Honda 300ex when it first came out "and was the hottest 4 stroke going"...Got out of riding after that and haven't owned a quad since then "mid to late 90's"...Looking to get back into trail riding and maybe race some XC once I get back into riding shape again.

We "me, wife & kids" are getting ready to buy a Polaris Ranger Crew Cab so we have room to put around with the kids and I hunt a lot and will use it for that...But I want something fast to ride again, I'm not a utility quad kinda guy when it comes to trail riding, they are to slow and heavy for my taste...So now I'm looking for a good used race/sport quad, really want to stay with a 450...

So between the YFZ 450, TRX 450, LTR 450 & KFX 450 which one should I really consider??? I was always a Yamaha and then Honda guy. Looking for something in the 2006-2009 model range. I've been hitting the local shops up here in South Dakota "just moved here" and have found a few but not a lot, not much in the way of sport/race bikes in this area...Been looking a lot online but not finding a ton in the immediate area.

I'm just not up to date on the modern 4 stroke race bikes, I was always a 2 stroke guy back in the day and knew all about the Banshee, 250r & Quadracers back then but those are all ancient history now days.

I have a built 2007 TRX450ER with Fox Long Travel that I'm asking $4,000. I'm in Colorado.

I have a built 2007 TRX450ER with Fox Long Travel that I'm asking $4,000. I'm in Colorado.

Do you go by New2Blue on some of the YFZ forums???

the honda seems to be more reliable and cheaper to repair and maintain ..but i would stay away from the electric start and get 1 with a kicker ... i work on atv's here in my shop and also for a local dealer when they are backed up.. and we change starter clutches (one way gear) on the 450 honda almost as much as u would replace the break pads on it .. especially if you start and stop every 10 to 20 min every time u ride for a day or weekend ... but the oil chainge maintance also has something to do with it ..bikes that get oil changes on a regular basis dont ware the starter clutches out as much ..