Quantcast

klf300b constant 12v on spark plug wire

bigjigjim

dont know how it got to be a reported post, but here it is from bigjigjim ...

If I kill the ignition everything is off. Once I turn ignition I can turn it over but there is no spark... I checked cdi, regulator, and stator all of which appear to be doing there job? When I tested the ignition coil it showed resistance so i flipped the meter over to DC to see if it was just a bad plug (which is brand new) and as soon as I touched a ground it was reading 12v without even cranking it over. I hit the starter to see if there was any change or pulse and even while cranking it over there isa steady 12v, no fluctuation, pulse, delay, just a steady flow of 12v. Unhooked cdi and repeated previous actions with no change in results. Next thing i guess is to lock myself in the garage and rewire based on schematic found in the Clymer I downloaded here.

i think with the patience i possess, i might just look around for a good used wiring harness ...

My old man and I have a long going friendly competition to see who can wind up with the best bike for the least amount of $. This started about 20 years ago when we bought 3 1970 Yamaha Enduros that had been sitting behind an old ladies shed for over a decade. They had been sitting for soo long we literally had to dig them out because they had sunk in the mud up to the forks and frames. We paid $50 for the trio and spent 2 months wrenching and restoring. Replacement parts were either fabricated or found in a bone yard. By the time it was done we had $90 invested in 3 of the best running Vintage bikes I've ever seen.

Great bonding and learning time over the years and now that I have 3 boys and one on the way, I'm passing the hobby on to them... Best sight in the world is watching your 9 year old ride his $80, 90cc Sunl still covered in grease after fabricating a swing arm and rebuilding the carb. They don't always turn out the nicest machines but we have just as much fun riding them as we would on a new rig and get alot more pride and satisfaction out of it because we brought it back to life. Any knuckle head with a pay check can buy a quad, not a whole lot of guys are capable of bringing them back to life.

Anyway, I picked up the klf for $100 off cl, he went the next weekend and grabbed an `82 klt200 for $100. The bet on the table is whoever spends more $ making their bike reliable has to drive to the others house and trailer the winners bike to the farm for a weekend of trail riding and buy lunch at the greasy spoon we ride to. We live 3 hours away from each other and we both live 3 hours away from the farm. I was up there this weekend and his cdi is fried... If a rewire using factory harness gets the klf running I'll have bragging rights for a while.

Not to mention the previous owner painted the plastics of his klt black:no: and my klf plastics are original with no cracks! I'm kinda excited about getting it going:elefant: it'll be a real nice, all original Vintage

Edited by bigjigjim

Cdi = brand new

Stator = replaced wires from coil to connector, tested resistance to factory specs! Producing voltage

Pickup coil = producing voltage

Regulator=brand new

Ignition coil and plug=brand new

Kill switch is allowing it to turn over so obviously not an issue...

I've traced every single wire on this bike and rectified any bad spots and insured proper placement/connection on every single one.

I'm lost guys helpa brotha out?

• 4 years later...