daniels217

2007 Honda TRX 420 ES transmission problems

8 posts in this topic

will not shift with the emergency shift wrench . it is giving me dtc code 2long 2short need help . i have a shop manuel for this atv and can't figure it out.

I take it that the electric shift doesn't work either, does it do anything? Do you hear a noise or anything that indicates that the shift servo is trying to work? Doesn't the shop manual tell you how to read the codes? By shop manual, do you mean the owners manual or do you have an actual repair manual? You need a repair manual, the owners manual isn't good for much more than telling you what kind of oil to put in it. I have no idea what the flash codes mean, but if the machine won't even shift manually, I would guess that either your clutch is faulty, out of adjustment, or you have bent shift forks or some other damage to the gearshift mechanism. I would start at the clutch since it is easier to get to and it can be adjusted from what I understand. The shop manual should tell you how to do it. If that doesn't help you could remove the side cover and inspect the shift ratchet. If it is a bent shift fork, or shift drum problem, you would have to get inside the motor.

It's more than likely a thing called the ' shift angle sensor' I have replaced HUNDREDS of them over the years. Dealer part, not too expensive... screws into the back of the case above the swingarm. betcha a quarter that's it!:yes:

Would a sensor keep him from being able to shift the machine manually with the emergency wrench? Seems like the sensor would only affect the electric shift.

yes, actually it can, if the sensor fails during an electric shift. It jams the shift forks and shuts off the actuator motor. annoying as heck! I've seen it many times... recons too.

I see, that makes perfect sense. I have heard of people having chronic problems with these electric shift systems. Ironically, a friend of mine has an '04 Rancher 350 ES, and it has been horribly mistreated, however, the electric shift is the one thing that has always worked.

Yeah I know someone who just runs the snot out of his recon ES and it just keeps going....