Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Stace

Arctic Cat 500 4x4 Automatic

Have an Artic Cat 500 that will not electric start. I thought it was the starter as it sounded like it was just free spinning. (BTW it pull starts and runs fine except it is hard to pull half way out gets bound just keep trying till it starts) I replaced the starter with the results being the same. The gears u can see with the starter out will also spin freely with the finger. It's like it's not engaging the flywheel. Ideas?

If you jump the starter, does it engage? Are you getting power to the starter?

On 11/28/2016 at 7:15 PM, Ajmboy said:

On 11/28/2016 at 7:15 PM, Ajmboy said:

Yes starter is turning but not turning the motor over, just a high pitch spinning noise.

On 11/28/2016 at 9:32 PM, wildthang said:

Sounds like you may need a starter clutch.

I'll check that out just got it home from the farm sounds like some tear down fun. Thx is there a way to tell by looking that it's bad?

Generally, what happens is one or more of the rollers in the one way clutch come loose. Once you tear it apart, it should be fairly obvious. Cheapest I found was $232.92 at Powersportsdiscount.com .

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By stymy68
      I have an unknown year Timberwolf. I have had to replace/repair some back yard wiring issues. With the wiring fixed, I compared to my other Timberwolf quads, I have found a problem. Starter is always running. I can only get it to stop by removing the positive lead from the battery.
    • By JacobSlabach
      Hey I have a 97 bayou 300 2x4 (klf300b) that i bought for 1000 last June and sunk another 1000 into it already.  When i went to look at it, the seller had warmed it up before hand (he was riding it when I got there).  it ran good so i bought it and took it home that evening... next morning it wouldn't hardly start.  I discovered the carb was clogged, there was chunks of rust in the fuel valve, the choke lever was missing and other things.  I have since cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel valve and gas lines and cleaned out the gas tank and cap.  
      Enough background on it, the problem is this:  It floods if i push it past half throttle in 4th and 5th gear even going downhill and shifting correctly.  It also has to idle and warm up when you first start it which is really annoying now that its cold...  It also smokes blue smoke for about 15 seconds when started cold-  does not smoke at all once warm but the exhaust still smells like burnt metal.  A friend told me that it didn't have enough compression.  I also found out that the valves are a common cause for low compression on Kawasakis..  I have never adjusted valves before-  the most I've ever got into a engine was a head gasket on a riding mower so I'm new to this.  My goal is to get this bike running and starting cold like a top-  should i tear down and rebuild the top end?  What should i try first?  I tore the carb apart and rebuilt it and fiddled with the air screw and nothing changed.  I also ordered a compression test kit that should be coming in soon.

Ive also considered just selling it for like $500 and taking the hit-  Id rather not sink too much more into this machine..  lol
    • By Belmontie
      Hi all, bike does start with the electric start mostly, but the battery was weak and wouldnt start it the other day so went to use the pull start, to say its hard is an understatement first of all you gotta do a little jiggling about til it catches then pulling it takes some effort now i know im not the strongest fella in the world but this is so much harder than it should be. 
      It does start of the pull just to get the engine to initailly turn is so hard any ideas why its happening or how to fix this,
      Thanks

• By Frisbie6
      This is a strange question maybe.  I just finished cleaning my old barn find Suzuki.  I think it's a 1985.  LT230 shaft drive.  Started it up and other than making some carb adjustments (well, I think that's all I have to do) it runs fine.
      But as I drove it around the yard I noticed that it is hard to steer.  The front tires seem like they are barely touching the ground!  The handle bar moves fine and the wheels turn, but the tires don't grip the grass.
      When I lean forward as far as I can the tires actually bite into the grass and turn the bike.  When I sit on the bike it just plows straight ahead.
      Has anyone seem anything like this? 
      I wonder if the back tires are too small, causing the bike to lean backwards.  Does anyone have the specs on what size tires I should have?
      Thanks for any help provided...
    • By Rob113
      Hello guys! I ride a triton 450 super moto. i hawe change connecting road... Now all is okey,test drive ok manny km done. But there is one problem...i hawe buy a new accu. But the starter is verry hard rotate...almost stops.  So the motor is wery hard to start. I hawe trie connect the starter directley to accu and its the same thing.Before rebuild the starter has work normal.
      What hawe i done wrong?
      Sorry for my English:)