Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

grego86

Help with brakes

I have a 1988 Big Bear 350 4x4. I had to take apart my front brake pistons and thoroughly clean them. The internal gaskets appear new from when I had bike shop I thought do a brake repair. Seems like they just replaced gaskets and didn't bother cleaning or clearing any of the trash from system. I put everything back together and try bleeding system and pumping up brakes. The front piston on both sides will just barely build up and it does hold and when I bleed them I get a solid stream of fluid so don't believe there is any blockage. Also to note the bleed valve is after the rear piston on each side so fluid is reaching it but for some reason not building pressure I'm guessing. How can I tell if I need to rebuild my master cylinder ?

Pic - the piston on left is before and right is after I cleaned one.

atv brake pistons.jpg

If there  is no  air in the  system  and no  fluid leaks, then  if you  cannot  build  pressure in the system there is a problem with the  master cylinder bypassing and it needs to be rebuilt.