Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

grego86

88 Yamaha Big Bear DIF yoke removal

My front dif is leaking oil pretty bad around the yoke. I completely pulled the whole dif from my bike and now stuck trying to get the yoke unbolted from the dif body. There's a large nut in the center of the yoke and I've tried using impact wrench and not budging. The nut and bolt kind of looks like it has a crimp spot made to keep it from backing off the bolt I guess. Does that sound right? What's the easiest way to remove it? Just soak with some type of lube and try again with the impact?

That  is  just a   self locking  nut. I  can't tell whether someone  has  used a punch on it  to   lock it tighter  or  not  with the crud  in the  thread above it, but  it  should  come  undone  using an  impact  wrench.  Clean  the   thread above the dent in the   nut  to ass if the thread of the shaft is damaged..  If it  is, you  could  grind away the  damaged  spot  under  the  dent, but  you  likely  don't  need to grind anything away. also , when you  clean  the   shaft to  get a better  look,  make sure it is   regular right hand thread. It  appears to be  from  what  little I can see of it , but make  sure.

Use a big  pipe wrench to  keep the  yoke from  turning,  and use a  good  air or electric impact wrench to spin the nut off..

Edited by davefrombc

Someone locally told me it prob has a punch out in it. Does anyone know if my model does or not?

I doubt the  nut  has a spring pin  holding it ..   Clean  it  off and look. If there's a hole drilled  through it, it  has one , but that  nut  looks  like a regular  self  locker to me.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By RockOn
      So I bought a 2001 Quad Runner 250 for my son/wife. Sorry I run a Grizzly 660.
      I’ve rode it many times with no issue.
      My son’s first time out, I could always hear him but feeling he ran it red line in first gear a lot.
      So this is what it was doing during/end of the 2-3 hour ride:
      - halfway though noticed smoke (oil) coming from front of the motor sort of under exhaust manifold. Once back at the truck, it was really noticeable. Definitely oil burning off. I’m thinking from the top end maybe.
      So quick inspection:
      - No leaks or seepage of oil that I could see
      - I pulled the plug and it’s black but not wet
      - No blue/white smoke in exhaust
      - seems to still ride fine
      - Engine still has plenty of oil
      But now that I’m looking at it back at the house - it’s a hard/won’t start when hot. It starts right up cold no problem but once it stalls when hot, have to let it sit for 10-15 before it will start again.
      It wasn’t idling before that trip so I jacked up the idle a bit as well but I think that’s a carb clean/adjustment but...
      Any input is appreciated.
      Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • By jerebear
      I rebuild my front diff but can't find the torque spec for the pinion nut for my 1998 500 quadrunner. It had timkin bearings so I know the preload needs to be correct not to overheat or be too loose and take it out again. Does anyone know what the correct torque is.
      Thanks 
    • By w_r_e
      Can anyone point me to a good set of instructions for changing front diff oil on a 1987 Suzuki LT4WD? I can almost guess which bolts are drain & fill... but I've been wrong before... 😆 
      I found some partial posts on other forums and they linked out to dead images and whatnot. Any help appreciated. 
      This thing is running pretty good, got the front brakes back to life, electric start works fine, seat cover fixed up, plastics stitched back together...
      BEFORE (last week):

AFTER (today):

• By Jeremy Morris
      If you're getting that pesky leaky seal on the pinion of your front differential and the pinion has allot of play, polaris won't sell the bushing needed to repair it properly without having to shell out big bucks for the complete ring and pinion kit. 
      I have a kit with an upgraded bushing, Japanese made bearing and USmade seal
      50 shipped in the US and 55 to Canada

• By Frank Angerano
      So here’s a question. I have seen a few members that have recently purchased a used bike.   Also a HUGE amount of so called new members who have purchased a used bike and have come here “just here for a manual”.
      Some have been disappointed with the bikes and or knew they were getting a broken bike with some mechanical  experience thinking hey I can fix it.   So here’s my take on buying a used bike. Anyone who has followed some of mine and other members posts about what to look for when buying a used bike here’s a few pointers on what to look for. 
      1. I always check the oil and look for moisture, metal shavings and color. 
      2. Feel the compression or take a compression tester with you. 
      3. Check for spark (if the bikes not running)
      4. Take a small jumper pack to verify that the starter cycle works and the bike cranks.
      5. Look for bent or cracked frame/welding that was done on the frame from maybe a wreck.
      5. Mismatch plastics by looking under neath.  
      7. Bolts on the engine/frame that look like they are stripped from someone taking the bike apart. 
      8. Any kind of scilicone or gasket adhesive that was used on a cover plate or engine seem where the engine was taken apart.  
      9. Patches on the exhaust pipes with sheet metal or jb weld patch material.  
      10. Wiring messes on the harness like bundles of tape where the harness was opened up and taped up  for an after market device or just plain butchered up.  
      11. Put the bike in gear (running or not) and roll the bike back and forth to see that the gears work and you feel resistance like the engine is trying to spin while pushing it forward as if you were push starting it   
      12. I keep a vin# decoder website on my phone as a favorite to double check the year of the bike .
      All though nothing is fool proof these tips will help you along while buying a used bike. Not only that but  it will help you negotiate a fair price for a bike that may have one of the above problems.  
      I have minimized this entire process down to about 15 mins. I buy all the time so I don’t expect you to do the same or have a compression tester etc but use some of these tips when buying and go into the purchase with confidence! 
      I would like to hear anyone else that has any input on buying a bike and what to  look for! 

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Jcolgin
      I have a 1998 Big bear 350...the tail pipe/spark arrestor is broke in the exhaust....how can I get it out to replace it? And what's the best way to get the new one in?
    • By Ulf Löfstedt
      I just bought a Yamaha Big Bear 350 from 1992. The previous owner has run it on regular engine oil and I have problems with the clutch slipping. I think that's the reason.
      So what should I do?
      - Just change oil and it will be OK?
      - Clean engine/clutch + new oil?
      - Or do I need a new clutch?

It is guessing the centrifugal clutch that slips. It has two clutches , it also has a "regular" clutch .
      Anyone who has any experience of using wrong type of oil?
    • By cfherrman
      Fixing for a friend. Atv was at a different friends house to be fixed and he rebuilt the carb and had it running nice, then it shut off and no more. He replaced the key and the coil.

So he got busy, so I am helping, I checked the wiring from the stator to the cdi, and from the cdi to the coil. All is good. I checked resistance on the pickup coil, good, and on the source coil, open. I buy a new stator (China) and the 4 prong plug only has 3 wires in it while mine has all 4. I checked resistance in the source coil and it's in the 300's. I pulled one of the old pickup wires out of the old stator and wire it in the new one. Still no spark.

Why do the wires differ, I checked the VIN again and it's "J" for the year and I got a 1988 stator. Please help!
    • By Gordon cousins
      Hi bought old Yamaha 1990 big bear  Guy took off  gear selector  and lost it anyone know were I con locate one  
    • By Rcndn
      I have a 2002 yamaha bigbear 400 4x4 with a seized engine. I was able to free the piston with the old "fill cylinder with oil and let it soak" and it worked. So I bought a top cylinder rebuild kit , but now I have no idea the process to fix this . I need a service manual....