Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

grego86

88 Yamaha Big Bear DIF yoke removal

My front dif is leaking oil pretty bad around the yoke. I completely pulled the whole dif from my bike and now stuck trying to get the yoke unbolted from the dif body. There's a large nut in the center of the yoke and I've tried using impact wrench and not budging. The nut and bolt kind of looks like it has a crimp spot made to keep it from backing off the bolt I guess. Does that sound right? What's the easiest way to remove it? Just soak with some type of lube and try again with the impact?

That  is  just a   self locking  nut. I  can't tell whether someone  has  used a punch on it  to   lock it tighter  or  not  with the crud  in the  thread above it, but  it  should  come  undone  using an  impact  wrench.  Clean  the   thread above the dent in the   nut  to ass if the thread of the shaft is damaged..  If it  is, you  could  grind away the  damaged  spot  under  the  dent, but  you  likely  don't  need to grind anything away. also , when you  clean  the   shaft to  get a better  look,  make sure it is   regular right hand thread. It  appears to be  from  what  little I can see of it , but make  sure.

Use a big  pipe wrench to  keep the  yoke from  turning,  and use a  good  air or electric impact wrench to spin the nut off..

Edited by davefrombc

Someone locally told me it prob has a punch out in it. Does anyone know if my model does or not?

I doubt the  nut  has a spring pin  holding it ..   Clean  it  off and look. If there's a hole drilled  through it, it  has one , but that  nut  looks  like a regular  self  locker to me.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Elijah Johnson
      So I was riding my fourwheeler and some oil started leaking off I look around and found some tubes broke I really have no I idea where any hook up to// any one help??
    • By w_r_e
      Can anyone point me to a good set of instructions for changing front diff oil on a 1987 Suzuki LT4WD? I can almost guess which bolts are drain & fill... but I've been wrong before... 😆 
      I found some partial posts on other forums and they linked out to dead images and whatnot. Any help appreciated. 
      This thing is running pretty good, got the front brakes back to life, electric start works fine, seat cover fixed up, plastics stitched back together...
      BEFORE (last week):

AFTER (today):

• By Derrick Lenz
      So I bought a brand new carb that was set and everything. Put it all together and it runs and idles good. The downside is the bottom of the bowl is leaking fuel not a small leak either. I bought one previous and it was a cheap one and it leaked as well so I figured I'd spend the money and by an OEM one and it still leaks. Should I send it into the mechanic and have them adjust the float? I mean for a new carb I was kinda disappointed. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.
    • By Jeni Lynn
      2012 Rancher ES-- only when driving in 4x4 when I get to about 15-18mph there is a loud clunk in the front end and a hard downward jerk. Its almost as if its trying to downshift itself. It doesn't do it in 2 wheel drive.  I have checked the angle shift sensor and applied dielectric grease to it, changed the front end differential fluid (the old still looked good and clean) checked and adjusted the clutch. Hopefully someone can give me some more ideas. 
    • By Venom
      Hi All,
      Hoping someone will be able to help.
      I have a 2006 Kawasaki Prairie 700 with twin Keihin Carbs CKVR D32. The Rear Carb is leaking out the side during cranking. it is not the float bowl overflow. It is on the opposite side of the carb from the diaphragm. 
      I got this bike not running and someone had already messed with it. I took the carbs apart , cleaned and rebuilt. Everything went pretty easy.  It looks like it could be missing a small tube between the carbs but I have all of them listed in the service manual installed. See the pic for where it is leaking from...
      Any help would be much appreciated.. Thanks.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Nigel Bourn
      I’ve just bought one of these and came here looking for a service manual
      Mine has an air cleaner that I don’t seem to be able to find, it has round ends with square tabs on them, any ideas?

• By Scott Matthews
      Just picked up a 1989 Big Bear 350 for $250 CAD. Bike was running but lost crank and spark. They've installed a new coil, a couple relays, and installed a Ford starter solenoid in place of the original. Now it cranks but has no spark so they sold it to me. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this bike so I can test some wiring. Also any ideas as to direction to head would be nice. Lots of things have been hacked together so I know it probably wont be to easy. The ignition switch was replaced with a toggle switch, I already mentioned the Ford solenoid which 1 of the small wires was not re-installed, and a diode or something was removed from the oil temp sensor wire. I'm sure I will find more so a diagram would be amazing.
    • By Jordan Cody
      Trying to get the schematics for it so I can rewrite it I bought it for 120$ and all wires r cut plz some one help
    • By Richard Britt
      Does anyone know if a grizzly parts compatible to  a big bear 
    • By Jcolgin
      I have a 1998 Big bear 350...the tail pipe/spark arrestor is broke in the exhaust....how can I get it out to replace it? And what's the best way to get the new one in?