Quantcast

PLEASE HELP, NO ECM COMMUNICATION OTTY 800

Posted Today, 01:22 PM

Hey guys, looking for a little help on my 2006 outlander 800, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. 😀

So I was out plowing the other day and the wheeler started acting up, spitting and sputtering as if it was running on 1 cylinder. It did NOT flash up that it was limp home mode. I brought it in the garage and put the heat on it ( the machine was completely pack with snow )

Heated it up and she started right up and was running great. Before I brought it out I did a quick check for any lose wires and battery cables.  Long story short,,, as soon as it gets in some deep snow for a little bit it will start acting up again. It usually happens after really getting on it for a couple of minutes and when you stop and idle it will start acting up.

I decided to let it idle for a little bit when it was acting up, it finally stalled out and I got a message that said no ECM connection. I was able to make this happen several timers.

Here is a list of things I have done.

Brand new battery

Took both battery cables off and inspected them, cleaned and reinstalled

Check Regulator output  

Checked stator output

Checked fuses in the front and the rear

Checked all cables in the rear of the machine taking them off and cleaning them

Unplugged every connection I could find on the machine and made sure they had no water or corrosion on them, added dielectric to all of them.

After all of this, it is still acting up, once again, this only happens after it has been running for a little while. I also checked to see if the fan is working by bypassing the relay and it does.

I do realize that the relay still could be bad and or the temp sensor.

SO at the end of the day it is almost like there is 2 issues.

1.       Runs extremely rough and will stall out in deep snow once up to temp. If it does stall out it says no ECM communication

2.       Fan is not coming on by itself.

If there is any other suggestion for me to try, your input would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advancve

It sounds to me like a component in the  "brain box" is failing.  The "No  ECM communication"  means for some reason  there  is no proper signal  from the " Electronic Control  Module".

That's one of the  "joys"  of  new fuel injected  equipment ..When  something goes  wrong  you  need diagnostic equipment  to  trace it  down..... or  you  do  some expensive guessing  and swapping  components  until  you  hit  the  one  that  is at fault.

Thanks so much for getting back to me.
I went back through every​ power connection and ground, cleaned them and dielectric greased them. I found a couple with corrosion. I also removed the speed sensor and found it to be a little clogged. I cleaned it all up and it is running good for now, but I also haven't had it out in the deep snow yet. 8ne more thing I found was on the back of the main fuse box, there was 3 orange wires tapped together and not going to anything, they also were a little corroded so cleaned them and sealed them back up.
Is there supposed to be unused wires going to the back of the fuse box? I am assuming so seeing as how it is running good and there are no openings on the back of the fuse block.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I am  not familiar  with your  quad so  I  can't  do  any more than  guess on those wires. If  you bought the quad  new ,  they  are  likely wires in the  standard  harness  that  would go  to  optional accessories not  mounted  on your  quad .  If you  bought  it  used , then  I would guess they  went to some accessory(s)  a previous  owner  removed .. Either  way , if they  are  taped up  and the  quads  performance  has been  normal,  then they  are  nothing to worry  about ..  You  might want to  trace  them  to their  other  ends to see where  they  go. If they're open  at the other  ends of them too   you  may be able to  guess what they  may have  powered, and would  know if they might be    useful  for  you to    hook  up  some  future  accessories.

• 3 years later...