Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Joedirt2400

2009 Honda recon won't start

I have a 2009 recon that I just replaced the piston rings on. It was running and smoking really bad, so I replaced the rings. I put everything back together now it won't start. It's getting fuel, compression, spark, and occasionally a backfire through the carb. If anyone could help, that would be awesome.

The craziest thing just happened. I just disassembled the top end to see if I did anything wrong, and put it back together. Now it starts first pull. I have no idea what was wrong, or what happened. So confused. But I'm glad it's working now. Ajmboy thanks for trying to help, I appreciate it.

• Like 1

If  you  disassembled and reassembled the top  end , my  guess would be  you   had the timing set  wrong   as Ajmboy suggested..   Possibly  set it  TDC on  exhaust instead of  compression  (180 degrees out) and on reassembly  set it right .  Glad to hear  you got it   working ok.

• Like 1

Yea I can see that now. I was just frustrated, and not looking at what was right in front of me. Thanks for the response

Cool deal! Glad to hear you got it running. I like the video BTW. Is it now not smoking?

I found the problem... the intake valve is bent. The valve spring was rubbing the side of the head, and getting stuck. 

So you think it bent because the timing was off of skipped?

I don't think so. After I push the valve back down it will run for a little while, then it gets hung up again. I'll have to take pictures to show you what I'm talking about. The top of the valve stem is bent where the spring is. The person I got it from, must have really abused it. I'm not going to say he screwed me over, but he didn't do me any favors. But what do you expect for $250. I stopped messing with it for now, because I don't want to cause anymore damage. I have ordered parts and they are on the way

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By stymy68
      I have an unknown year Timberwolf. I have had to replace/repair some back yard wiring issues. With the wiring fixed, I compared to my other Timberwolf quads, I have found a problem. Starter is always running. I can only get it to stop by removing the positive lead from the battery.
    • By RDALE352
      My Rancher cranks right up and runs great for a while and then it will suddenly sputter out and die. It usually cranks right back up and again runs great for a while and then same thing. Yesterday it got to where it acted like it wasn't going to crank back up a few time but eventually did. Any suggestions??
    • By Wolds Alpacas
      I have just ordered a Suzuki King Quad 300 which should be here this week - it is described as "with slow running needing attention"  I am as a matter of course going to put a new spark plug in, change the oil and oil filter and blow out the air filter with compressed air - anything else I should consider?  Also, the headlights do not work - I want to change them out for LED ones anyway though. 
    • By Wolds Alpacas
      I have a Kawasak i KLF185 Bayou which is in bits - bought as such and never managed to get going.  I have not had a spark and tried two OEM CDI's on it.  I have replaced the coil and plug and checked the wiring to CDI.  I have also tried to use other CDI's (DC ones) run from the battery.  Nothing, still no spark, so I have managed to find a new pickup coil and hope that resolves things - any input on this would be appreciated.
    • By CHALLENGE
      Dear friends, I’m posting to you some information about this competition, and I want to inform you that the first race is on 17-19 of april
      You may remember last year you received from us, sport club 4x4 Adventure, invitations and news about the professional QUAD competition in Bulgaria called ATV Challenge Cup. In the last October 94 competitors from 4 different countries in 5 classes competed on a professional off road track.
      After the successful debut of ATV Challenge Cup 2007, its perfect organization, evaluated by UEM representatives and the competitors themselves, the challenges of the competitive track and the attractive awards, ATV Commission, part of the Bulgarian Motorcycle Federation, and club 4x4 Adventure proudly invite you to take part in East European ATV Championship – ATV CHALLENGE CUP BULGARIA 2009. The championship consists of 3 rounds in Bulgaria.
      If you have a QUAD, like tracks designed for skillful riding with speed stages, artificial and natural obstacles and great audience, who applause and stimulates the competitors, ATV Challenge Cup Bulgaria 2009 is your championship. The professional off-road track “Dalbok Dol” is especially build for this championship and covers all FIM and UEM rules for World and European Quad Championships. Organizers of ATV Challenge Cup Bulgaria 2009 are ATV Commission of Bulgarian Motorcycle Federation and sport club 4x4 Adventure.
      The prize fund for ATV Challenge Cup Bulgaria 2009 is over 20 000 Euro.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Ajmboy
      Here's a great video that illustrates Honda's 2019 ATV lineup. You've got the TRX90X, TRX250X, FourTrax Recon, FourTrax Rancher, FourTrax Foreman, FourTrax Rincon, and Foreman Rubicon ATVs.

• By Keith Proudman
      My 2013 Honda 420 occasionally won't go into reverse. I don't think it is in the transmission as it does not make a click or noise. I think it is in the lockout. Someone told me when I ride near the ocean the salt can get on something. Any ideas?
    • By Jordan Alexander
      The title is for attention. I’m prepping my cylinder head off of an unknown year 400ex to install on my quad. And I’m examining it and there’s literally a Jewish start( Star of David) protruding from the metal on the camshaft side of the head. It’s not imprinted or etched/ engraved. It’s coming out of the metal. DOES ANYONE HAVE INFORMATION ON WHY ITS THERE??? I’ve attached a picture 

• By Scoopeddad
      So I have a 1994 Honda trx300 and I still am having some carb issues. I cleaned the carb and installed a new carb kit. Starts great, idles great, but when in 3rd it seems to pulsate. Not steady power. Any ideas on the setting the setting for the carb? I put a new spark plug in and the old one did seem pretty dark and sooty. I checked the gap on new one and installed. Went for a ride and it didn't seem any different. Any suggestions would be great..
    • By Resurgence Small Engine Inc.
      In this video, Jonathan checks and adjusts the valves clearances on a Honda Foreman 450. On this unit, the exhaust valve had excessive clearance.   Resurgence Small Engine Inc.