Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Joedirt2400

2009 Honda recon won't start

I have a 2009 recon that I just replaced the piston rings on. It was running and smoking really bad, so I replaced the rings. I put everything back together now it won't start. It's getting fuel, compression, spark, and occasionally a backfire through the carb. If anyone could help, that would be awesome.

The craziest thing just happened. I just disassembled the top end to see if I did anything wrong, and put it back together. Now it starts first pull. I have no idea what was wrong, or what happened. So confused. But I'm glad it's working now. Ajmboy thanks for trying to help, I appreciate it.

• Like 1

If  you  disassembled and reassembled the top  end , my  guess would be  you   had the timing set  wrong   as Ajmboy suggested..   Possibly  set it  TDC on  exhaust instead of  compression  (180 degrees out) and on reassembly  set it right .  Glad to hear  you got it   working ok.

• Like 1

Yea I can see that now. I was just frustrated, and not looking at what was right in front of me. Thanks for the response

Cool deal! Glad to hear you got it running. I like the video BTW. Is it now not smoking?

I found the problem... the intake valve is bent. The valve spring was rubbing the side of the head, and getting stuck. 

I don't think so. After I push the valve back down it will run for a little while, then it gets hung up again. I'll have to take pictures to show you what I'm talking about. The top of the valve stem is bent where the spring is. The person I got it from, must have really abused it. I'm not going to say he screwed me over, but he didn't do me any favors. But what do you expect for $250. I stopped messing with it for now, because I don't want to cause anymore damage. I have ordered parts and they are on the way

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• 2005 Kaw KUF 650D no start issue

Well I came on here hoping to read a manual about the quad but found that I have to make some posts before that can happen, so here is one.  I work on peoples stuff. Had this well used unit come to me with a no start issue. I found it had fuel  and spark was good but it only had 30 pounds of compression. I put each cylinder to TDC and feed the plug hole with a small amount of air pressure and could hear the escaping air coming out the carb openings. I then checked the valves lash at TDC and found that booth cylinders had 0 lash for the intake valves. I reset the lash to .003 for all the intake valves and reapplied a small amount of air pressure and the leaking of air was gone. I then spent a few hours screwing all the parts I had to take off, back together and then drove it out of the shop. The lash was only 1/4- 1/2 a turn too tight that caused the valve to stay open just enough to make it not start. IMO the heads could use an overhaul some time soon as the valves and seats have become a bit warn. These ATV's just have too much crap stuffed into a small space, I wounder how many fasteners are used to hold 1 ATV together? Later, 

By Freezeman, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 0 replies
    • 2000 Yamaha Grizzly YFM600FWA No Spark Swap CDI

Have a 2000 Yamaha Grizzly YFM600FWA with no spark.  Checked the troubleshooting chart, and all checks were within specs.  CDI has part # 5GT-00  F8T36071.  Friend has a 1998 Grizzly 600 but his CDI part # is 4WV-00  F8t34671.  Are they the same?  Thinking about taking my CDI and put it on his ATV and find out if it works, but don't want to damage something if not interchangeable.  Thanks

By Bubblehead, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 15 replies
    • 1994 Yamaha Timberwolf 4x4 Electric Start Problems

I have a 1994 Yamaha Timberwolf 4x4. The electric start button worked fine when i was out hunting in the early hours of Sunday but in the evening all i was getting was a click click click when i pushed the starter button. Pull starting, it fires up no problem. I removed the battery and one of the cells was half empty so i topped it up and charged. Still goes click after i put the battery back in it. Posts are clean too. I heard that the starter brushes can be replaced. Thanx for the help guys. Gary

By bassplayer1972, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 18 replies
    • 2000 Yamaha Kodiak fuel leaking out of the carb drain

Hey guys, Looking for some info on a 2000 Yamaha Kodiak.  When I leave it sitting I get fuel leaking out of the carb drain.  What causes this?  Float stuck? 

By nel79, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 8 replies
    • Kawasaki Bayou 220 - No Spark

hi all first post just found forum and the manuals / wiring diagram BIG THANK YOU im struggling to find the vin number on my frame? I m told left side of frame , lower, nr. in front of the gear pedal ?? haven't found it yet , is it numbers stamped on the frame or a commission plate ?? main prob. no spark no power to coil , off to study the wiring info I've just found thanks again. tom

By tomlad, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 7 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Keith Proudman
      My 2013 Honda 420 occasionally won't go into reverse. I don't think it is in the transmission as it does not make a click or noise. I think it is in the lockout. Someone told me when I ride near the ocean the salt can get on something. Any ideas?
    • By Jordan Alexander
      The title is for attention. I’m prepping my cylinder head off of an unknown year 400ex to install on my quad. And I’m examining it and there’s literally a Jewish start( Star of David) protruding from the metal on the camshaft side of the head. It’s not imprinted or etched/ engraved. It’s coming out of the metal. DOES ANYONE HAVE INFORMATION ON WHY ITS THERE??? I’ve attached a picture 

• By Scoopeddad
      So I have a 1994 Honda trx300 and I still am having some carb issues. I cleaned the carb and installed a new carb kit. Starts great, idles great, but when in 3rd it seems to pulsate. Not steady power. Any ideas on the setting the setting for the carb? I put a new spark plug in and the old one did seem pretty dark and sooty. I checked the gap on new one and installed. Went for a ride and it didn't seem any different. Any suggestions would be great..
    • By Resurgence Small Engine Inc.
      In this video, Jonathan checks and adjusts the valves clearances on a Honda Foreman 450. On this unit, the exhaust valve had excessive clearance.   Resurgence Small Engine Inc.      
    • By Flanstone
      I just bought two 1985 TRX250's from my father-in-law. One runs great, the other not so much. The one is having issues with the shifter. The shifter seems to be resting lower than normal. When I press the shifter downward, it just pops back up. Any thougjts as to what the issue might be?