Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Hi there, new owner to a Bayou 220 and could use some input from those who have owned these. At idle only, I am hearing a distinctly noticeable amount of chatter noise coming from the lower right side of the engine - right in the the clutch housing area. It's like a light clanking sound like something is loose in there. It goes away as soon as you give it throttle. Shifting in and out of gear is smooth and there is no change in the noise if you have it in or out of gear. The clutch doesn't slip at all, it's just that noise. I can also feel it when my hand is on the the clutch housing.

I just replaced the oil and filter with 10w30 motor oil per spec. Any thoughts?

So I did the clutch adjustment, and I noticed a cleaner shift feel in the shift lever, but it didn't do anything for the chatter, and I switched to the Rotella T4 15w40 oil but no change either. 

I have been riding around with it and it drives fine, so will put up with the noise for now and eventually take the clutch cover off and see what is worn or loose.

I'd be interested in what you eventually find.  I bought my son a Bayou 250 that was a complete mess, no compression and lots of stuff missing.  After replacing the broken cam chain, a bent valve and a damaged cam shaft, we got it running but it when you turn it off it sounds like something still spinning in the clutch area.  He rode it for a couple of days and then it suddenly died with another broken cam chain.  I fixed the cam chain, took it to a shop to see what they thought and they didn't know.  He rode it a few more days and then pop, it went again.  So now its grounded.  I think there is something on that right side that gets caught and puts a big impulse into the cam chain causing it to snap.  Anyway, it will have to wait until I have more time for it.

Interesting you mention the spinning noise, as I have noticed the same thing in the clutch area - when I turn it off, I hear something still spinning and then a couple seconds later it stops with a clunk.

I will tear it apart sometime but won't be able to do it right away. I imagine bolts or rivets or bushings loose/worn out, as it almost goes away when the clutch engages, chattering the most when it is disengaged.

If I had to take a wild uneducated guess, I'd say it sounds more like you have damaged/misaligned sprockets or chain guide, or too tight/loose of a chain. 

I'll definitely post back once I tear it apart and find what it is. I hope you get yours fixed, I'd be curious to know why your cam chain is breaking too. 

Edited by Bubba Blaster

That sounds like you have exactly the same thing going on down there as me.   Interesting that it hasn't caused you any timing chain issues.  I was kind of hoping when I fixed that noise in the clutch area it would solve my timing chain problem. 

Just FYI, I have another Bayou 250 (my daughters) which is a twin of the problem ATV and it has been running great with neither problem.

Lets see who finds the time to tear into theirs first. ;)

• Like 1

On 11/30/2017 at 12:55 PM, Bubba Blaster said:

Any update to your clutch clunking noise?  I just bought a 1999 Bayou 220 that has the same sound.

No, no update, it still makes the sound. I'm running the Rotella oil in it now and but it sounds about the same. I frankly don't notice it much anymore and am running it without issue as is. So it's probably not going to get fixed anytime soon, lol.

And as far as the timing issue, so is there a timing chain on that lower right side? I'm only aware of the timing chain on the left side.

I finally got to the timing chain a few weekends ago.  This time I also happened to pull out the chain tensioner guides and found that they were really chewed up.  I'm hoping that this was the ultimate problem with why the timing chain broke this time around.  Only time will tell.  I opened up the clutch side last weekend and didn't see anything that jumped out at me.  The primary clutch was more worn than I'd have liked and I'm going to replace it but I didn't see anything that would explain the sound we've been hearing.  I'm hoping to get it all back together next weekend and then we'll see how long it lasts this time around.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• 1997 Kawasaki Bayou 300 2x4 (klf300b) Runs Bad

Hey I have a 97 bayou 300 2x4 (klf300b) that i bought for 1000 last June and sunk another 1000 into it already.  When i went to look at it, the seller had warmed it up before hand (he was riding it when I got there).  it ran good so i bought it and took it home that evening... next morning it wouldn't hardly start.  I discovered the carb was clogged, there was chunks of rust in the fuel valve, the choke lever was missing and other things.  I have since cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel valve and gas lines and cleaned out the gas tank and cap.   Enough background on it, the problem is this:  It floods if i push it past half throttle in 4th and 5th gear even going downhill and shifting correctly.  It also has to idle and warm up when you first start it which is really annoying now that its cold...  It also smokes blue smoke for about 15 seconds when started cold-  does not smoke at all once warm but the exhaust still smells like burnt metal.  A friend told me that it didn't have enough compression.  I also found out that the valves are a common cause for low compression on Kawasakis..  I have never adjusted valves before-  the most I've ever got into a engine was a head gasket on a riding mower so I'm new to this.  My goal is to get this bike running and starting cold like a top-  should i tear down and rebuild the top end?  What should i try first?  I tore the carb apart and rebuilt it and fiddled with the air screw and nothing changed.  I also ordered a compression test kit that should be coming in soon. Ive also considered just selling it for like $500 and taking the hit-  Id rather not sink too much more into this machine..  lol

By slabach, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 169 replies
    • 1987 Yamaha Big Bear 350 Grinding Noise Front Differential

Hi, Thanks for a newbie on this site ! i have grinding noise in my front differential. the front right wheel is turning and the left is try to turn but no movement and make sound like a gear broken. somebody have any idea ? not enough oil in diff ? thank

By qcm413, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 1 reply
    • 2001 Kawasaki Bayou 220 Engine Locked Up

Need help with teardown of 2001 Bayou 220.  New to atv's but not to mechanical work.  I was given this ATV and went to turn engine over by pull rope and the engine is locked up.  Pulled spark plug no change.  Was going to tear down top end.  Any suggestions or tricks before I proceed?

By viper0906, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 8 replies
    • 1999 kawasaki bayou won't crank

I picked up a 99 bayou 220 a couple years ago for cheap, put it back together as a beater for my son. He rides the hell out of it. A couple weeks ago it won't crank, push the button it does nothing. He's been pull starting it. I can jump across the two large terminals on the solenoid, basically going straight to the starter, and it starts fine. How do I test the solenoid? There are only 3 wires, 1 hot, 1 ground, I thought the last one was the trigger but apparently not. Any ideas? Thanks

By wvhylander, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 12 replies
    • Quadzilla XLC 500 Engine Issues

While riding my Quadzilla XLC 500 I was cruising along about 60 mph then opened it up, but once I hit 70-75 mph it died on me so I rolled to a stop and it wouldn't start for about 20-30 seconds. I then noticed the Temp light occasionally flashes on but its so quick you wouldn't notice in the day so not sure how long its been happening. The engine has started pinging when I accelerate which can be caused by many things so I drained the fuel and replaced with hi octane, fitted a new spark plug, adjusted the little washer on the high jet in the carb twice to make it run more lean which made no difference.  I tested the thermostat which opens at the correct temperature, I removed the radiator cap and started the engine and no bubbles were showing and the oil is on maximum and very clean as I have not long serviced it. The last time I took it out I went 14 miles and the coolant in the bottle has dropped about 1/2". I am now leaning towards a head gasket and have purchased a full gasket kit but was wondering if there's anything else it could be before taking the engine apart.

By Zilla28, in General ATV Discussion

• 11 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Steve Howard
      My Hawkeye runs great just wont pull could this be the breaking clutch or the drive clutch thanks for any help
    • By David Vance
      I just bought a 86 Bayou 300 and when it’s running and you shift into a gear the engine stalls and dies. I throttle it up little and it will run and move but the transmission slips really bad. As long as I’m just a little over idle it will move but slips with any more throttle. I’ve been reading that this is probably a centrifical clutch issue. I’ve found an aftermarket clutch for an 88 model but can’t find one for a 86. Are these the same? 
      Any help would be appreciated. 
    • By Corey smith
      I have a 2008 Yamaha grizzly. Once it’s warmed up it won’t let shift out of drive or reverse it’s stuck in whatever gear I had it in unless I shut it off. It’s runnin warmer then it should An isles up as it gets warmer
    • By Scoopeddad
      So I have a 1994 Honda trx300 and I still am having some carb issues. I cleaned the carb and installed a new carb kit. Starts great, idles great, but when in 3rd it seems to pulsate. Not steady power. Any ideas on the setting the setting for the carb? I put a new spark plug in and the old one did seem pretty dark and sooty. I checked the gap on new one and installed. Went for a ride and it didn't seem any different. Any suggestions would be great..
    • By Pete Barber
      Pull in clutch lever shift into gear and nothing happens ... But When I pull in the clutch lever I hear a clicking sound ... never heard this before ...