Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

reacoomin

2001 Honda TRX90 Won't Start

It was running well one day, and then the next it just wouldn't start (It has been very cold while trying to start it). I checked spark, it was meh, so I replaced it. After that it got blue spark. Still won't start. Cleaned out the carb (It was quite bad), still wouldn't start. Bought a new carb, put it on, still won't start. Gas is getting to the carb and the plug is dry. It's got compression (Not measured, just put hand in front of exhaust), spark, and gas. It'll start for a second it I put gas in the plug hole, but then I'm back to a dry plug. Any ideas on why it won't start?

Sounds like it  is not getting the  gas for some reason. Have  you  checked to  be  sure the  gas line  is not plugged? The new  carb.... Is  it  new  or  just  new to  you ?  It  could also  have  a  problem  with  plugged  jets  or stuck  float /  float  needle   blocking the  gas.

1 minute ago, davefrombc said:

Sounds like it  is not getting the  gas for some reason. Have  you  checked to  be  sure the  gas line  is not plugged? The new  carb.... Is  it  new  or  just  new to  you ?  It  could also  have  a  problem  with  plugged  jets  or stuck  float /  float  needle   blocking the  gas.

The carb is getting gas (Replaced petcock with a little gas in tank), and it is brand new.  Already made sure the float wasn't stuck, but not the jets.

It could be possible that you sent more junk into the new carb if you changed the gas tank petcock valve after the new carb was installed? If not then I would take a look at the carburetor hub where it enters the engine. Maybe something inside there?  I would take a look at the new carb first and make sure no clogs are  there from residual junk in the line and go from there.   

1 minute ago, Frank Angeranno said:

It could be possible that you sent more junk into the new carb if you changed the gas tank petcock valve after the new carb was installed? If not then I would take a look at the carburetor hub where it enters the engine. Maybe something inside there?  I would take a look at the new carb first and make sure no clogs are  there from residual junk in the line and go from there.   

Already checked, it had nothing in it (other than gas) and was completely  clean.

It’s clearly a fuel delivery issue. It may have gotten inside a small jet or one of the orafaces and may not be in plain sight. Its inside that little sucker someplace.   Process of elimination you will find it. Patience and persistence. Keep in mind the intake for the carb. Make sure nothing got into there! Good luck. 

21 minutes ago, Frank Angeranno said:

It’s clearly a fuel delivery issue. It may have gotten inside a small jet or one of the orafaces and may not be in plain sight. Its inside that little sucker someplace.   Process of elimination you will find it. Patience and persistence. Keep in mind the intake for the carb. Make sure nothing got into there! Good luck. 

I'm about 95% sure that nothing has got in there so far.  I flushed the gas tank and cleaned the lines, and nothing has got in there since I got it.  It  *should* be clean, unless it came clogged.  So is there anything else there could be?

Yes actually I would take the bowl off the bottom of the carb and blow through the fuel line. You should hear air coming out of the bottom of the carb. While your blowing into the fuel line raise the float up with your fingers and the air should stop. If you don’t get air when you blow into the line then the float pin is stuck in the up position. 

Also, I probably should mention that it stopped working on a day that it was cold (the day it was working it was much warmer).  Could it just not like the cold?

I know that gas is getting into the carb (The bowl was full) and the pin wasn't stuck, so what else could it be?

Well honestly there is not much more then that. If the bike is getting spark which you said you are sure of, compression is good and the fuel is in the bowl and the pin is not stuck. The only thing I can think of is the path that sends fuel up and into the carb is clogged either at that point where the needle is or further inside and needs to be cleared. It sounds repetitive and can be frustrating. Did you check the manifold where the carb bolts up to make sure that’s clear ?

Keep at it.

Good luck. 

After trying some troubleshooting it turns out that it needed to be primed (I basically just put something over the intake and pulled the starter a few times), and now it starts every time.

• Like 1

Have a similar problem with a 01 trx90. It has absolutely no spark. I habe replaced cdi box, coil, and stator, still no spark. My grandson  was riding and chain popped off and jammed the gears. He tore 2nd gear out. I replaced the gears. Before i tore it down i ran it just to make sure it was the gears that was bad. So, it ran fine before i tore it down. Put everything back together and now no fire. I have double and triple checked the timing and have even tore engine down again just to make sure everything was right. Now i am stuck and can not figure out why i can get no fire. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. My grandson will love you forever. Thanks.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• 1990 Suzuki LT 4wd need help running issue

my atv will start right up will idle fine soon as i try to throttle up engine dies,i have changed gas,new fuel pump and lines great compression 188 lbs.new coil new spark plug adjusted valves dont know what to do also rebuilt carb,any help wanted

By joseph, in Suzuki ATV Forum

• 34 replies
    • 2005 Polaris Trail Blazer 250 won't start

Hi guys, trying to get a quad running again. It was running fine but the electric start did not work. My uncle was using it and the pull start snapped. So I replaced the pull start and electric starter motor. Now it just cranks and cranks but will not start. I have spark, I have fuel to the carb, I know this is a 2 stroke with a separate oil tank, what else should i check?

By TheJester517, in Polaris ATV Forum

• 5 replies
    • 1999 Suzuki King Quad lt-F300F Hard to start

Hello Just signed up, as I've had a recurring problem, and need some help. To start the bike I have to put the choke on all the way and 4 squeezes on the gas, Then as I push the start, I slow squeeze the throttle about half way for it to catch....If I miss it, then it will take 5 mins of slowly finding the sweetspot on the choke in unison with some throttle squeezes. Then I have to to hold the throttle to keep the bike going, using the choke will stall it out. after about 3 mins of holding the throttle, I then can let it go, and it idles fine, and runs fine. If it sits for a few hours it's only slightly hard to start, but a few days of sitting, and it's a lot more work. Had the bike serviced they couldn't figure it out. They swapped peticock, plug, new gas, all new lines, new throttle, and cable. Said the carb was fine, and clean. New air filter, said fuel pump was fine, no leaks around carb boots, new battery, new rectifier. Ran some sea foam through it....Runs Great.....Just such a pain to start... Thanks

By RichUncleSkeleton, in Suzuki ATV Forum

• 4 replies
    • 1997 Kawasaki Lakota 300 kef300a Intermittent Spark

I have a 97 Kawasaki Lakota 300 kef300a. It will not start. I have replace coil stator pulse generator and spark plug. Set timing and checked flywheel and am getting intermittent spark. Sparks once when starter engages and once when disengages. However, if I slowly pull the pull rope Sparks great. If I pull it normal it Sparks once. The cdi box and the kill switch are the only two things I haven't replaced but if I turn the switch to of no spark at all so I'm pretty sure it's working. Any ideas on what it may be?

By Nick&Britt Mann, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 4 replies
    • 2001 Quadrunner 500 Running Problems

Hi all, Picked this bike up about a month ago, and started doing some work on it. I ordered a carb kit from China, but got tired of waiting for it so I went to the bike shop today and picked up a Shindy rebuild kit. Took the carb out of soak, it has been in there for a month, blew all the ports out, cleaned what I could with a guitar string, used air as best I could to make sure everything was clear. After I was satisfied the body was clean I out the kit in it. Got the floats set to 13mm as per the manual (well 12.87 on one side and 12.92 on the other, so close), set the pilot to a little less than 2 1/2 turns out (manual says 2 3/8 turns). Put everything back together and tried to start it, it started and had a week idle. I tried adjusting the idle screw and as soon as I turned it the bike died. Backed it out and tried again, same result. Left it backed out, started it again and gave it some throttle. As soon as the throttle is touch the bike dies. Changed the spark plug for a new one and checked the spark, good and really strong. I am thinking that I have a bad petcock and am not getting enough fuel to the carburetor. So when I press the throttle I am increasing air but starving for fuel, bike can't run on air alone so it dies. Does this line of thinking make sense? I am gearing up a bottle with a fuel line in it, so I can try gravity feeding fuel to the carb, just have to wait for the silicone to dry so won't be able to test till tomorrow.  If it turns out to be a bad fuel valve, I will most likely just replace it with a universal one. If I go this route, what do I need to do with the breather line off the carburetor that used to go to the OEM petcock? Block it off or leave it open? Any help, answers or other ideas of things to check would be greatly appreciated. I have a fishing trip at the end of the month and would love to have my bike running by then. 

By Coyote251, in Suzuki ATV Forum

• 11 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Keith Proudman
      My 2013 Honda 420 occasionally won't go into reverse. I don't think it is in the transmission as it does not make a click or noise. I think it is in the lockout. Someone told me when I ride near the ocean the salt can get on something. Any ideas?
    • By Jordan Alexander
      The title is for attention. I’m prepping my cylinder head off of an unknown year 400ex to install on my quad. And I’m examining it and there’s literally a Jewish start( Star of David) protruding from the metal on the camshaft side of the head. It’s not imprinted or etched/ engraved. It’s coming out of the metal. DOES ANYONE HAVE INFORMATION ON WHY ITS THERE??? I’ve attached a picture 

• By Scoopeddad
      So I have a 1994 Honda trx300 and I still am having some carb issues. I cleaned the carb and installed a new carb kit. Starts great, idles great, but when in 3rd it seems to pulsate. Not steady power. Any ideas on the setting the setting for the carb? I put a new spark plug in and the old one did seem pretty dark and sooty. I checked the gap on new one and installed. Went for a ride and it didn't seem any different. Any suggestions would be great..
    • By Resurgence Small Engine Inc.
      In this video, Jonathan checks and adjusts the valves clearances on a Honda Foreman 450. On this unit, the exhaust valve had excessive clearance.   Resurgence Small Engine Inc.      
    • By jimmy
      hi all i have a bad cv axel in my 400 polaris sportsman i bought a new one but ive tried everything i can think of to get the old one out and it just wont come does anyone have any suggestions......help lol