Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

reacoomin

2001 Honda TRX90 Won't Start

It was running well one day, and then the next it just wouldn't start (It has been very cold while trying to start it). I checked spark, it was meh, so I replaced it. After that it got blue spark. Still won't start. Cleaned out the carb (It was quite bad), still wouldn't start. Bought a new carb, put it on, still won't start. Gas is getting to the carb and the plug is dry. It's got compression (Not measured, just put hand in front of exhaust), spark, and gas. It'll start for a second it I put gas in the plug hole, but then I'm back to a dry plug. Any ideas on why it won't start?

Sounds like it  is not getting the  gas for some reason. Have  you  checked to  be  sure the  gas line  is not plugged? The new  carb.... Is  it  new  or  just  new to  you ?  It  could also  have  a  problem  with  plugged  jets  or stuck  float /  float  needle   blocking the  gas.

1 minute ago, davefrombc said:

Sounds like it  is not getting the  gas for some reason. Have  you  checked to  be  sure the  gas line  is not plugged? The new  carb.... Is  it  new  or  just  new to  you ?  It  could also  have  a  problem  with  plugged  jets  or stuck  float /  float  needle   blocking the  gas.

The carb is getting gas (Replaced petcock with a little gas in tank), and it is brand new.  Already made sure the float wasn't stuck, but not the jets.

It could be possible that you sent more junk into the new carb if you changed the gas tank petcock valve after the new carb was installed? If not then I would take a look at the carburetor hub where it enters the engine. Maybe something inside there?  I would take a look at the new carb first and make sure no clogs are  there from residual junk in the line and go from there.   

1 minute ago, Frank Angeranno said:

It could be possible that you sent more junk into the new carb if you changed the gas tank petcock valve after the new carb was installed? If not then I would take a look at the carburetor hub where it enters the engine. Maybe something inside there?  I would take a look at the new carb first and make sure no clogs are  there from residual junk in the line and go from there.   

Already checked, it had nothing in it (other than gas) and was completely  clean.

It’s clearly a fuel delivery issue. It may have gotten inside a small jet or one of the orafaces and may not be in plain sight. Its inside that little sucker someplace.   Process of elimination you will find it. Patience and persistence. Keep in mind the intake for the carb. Make sure nothing got into there! Good luck. 

21 minutes ago, Frank Angeranno said:

It’s clearly a fuel delivery issue. It may have gotten inside a small jet or one of the orafaces and may not be in plain sight. Its inside that little sucker someplace.   Process of elimination you will find it. Patience and persistence. Keep in mind the intake for the carb. Make sure nothing got into there! Good luck. 

I'm about 95% sure that nothing has got in there so far.  I flushed the gas tank and cleaned the lines, and nothing has got in there since I got it.  It  *should* be clean, unless it came clogged.  So is there anything else there could be?

Yes actually I would take the bowl off the bottom of the carb and blow through the fuel line. You should hear air coming out of the bottom of the carb. While your blowing into the fuel line raise the float up with your fingers and the air should stop. If you don’t get air when you blow into the line then the float pin is stuck in the up position. 

Also, I probably should mention that it stopped working on a day that it was cold (the day it was working it was much warmer).  Could it just not like the cold?

Well honestly there is not much more then that. If the bike is getting spark which you said you are sure of, compression is good and the fuel is in the bowl and the pin is not stuck. The only thing I can think of is the path that sends fuel up and into the carb is clogged either at that point where the needle is or further inside and needs to be cleared. It sounds repetitive and can be frustrating. Did you check the manifold where the carb bolts up to make sure that’s clear ?

Keep at it.

Good luck. 

After trying some troubleshooting it turns out that it needed to be primed (I basically just put something over the intake and pulled the starter a few times), and now it starts every time.

• Like 1

Have a similar problem with a 01 trx90. It has absolutely no spark. I habe replaced cdi box, coil, and stator, still no spark. My grandson  was riding and chain popped off and jammed the gears. He tore 2nd gear out. I replaced the gears. Before i tore it down i ran it just to make sure it was the gears that was bad. So, it ran fine before i tore it down. Put everything back together and now no fire. I have double and triple checked the timing and have even tore engine down again just to make sure everything was right. Now i am stuck and can not figure out why i can get no fire. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. My grandson will love you forever. Thanks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.