Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

CanadianNorth

Lost the rear axle on a 02 Yamaha Kodiak 400

Hi Folks

while plowing some snow with the old Kodiak yesterday I lost power to the rear axle (solid axle). 

Turns out the splines are gone. So looks like a new axle is in order.

however- I’m hoping I won’t have to replace the differential. Here are some pics of the splines in the dif.

anyone have experience with this?

thanks

A33FE614-7FEB-4C01-B0A6-1595DD8E978F.jpeg

7699191E-5578-4C5F-A6D4-8B769E75AB6C.jpeg

521B46D4-2E3F-4A09-BA73-5CF3242E53F0.jpeg

Sorry to  say , but they look  like they're toast. Putting a  new axle  in that  will  only last a short while , if at  all, and will damage  the  new axle too.

Topic moved to Yamaha forum.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By 06kfx440
      Come on out and ride with us. April 26th to the 28th. Myself and a few friend will be camping and riding.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• By Rick534
      i want to remove rear rack
    • By kgard
      Hi all, I bought a 2018 used 450 for my wife. She is having trouble with some of the real rocky trails close to our home. Her arms give out in an hour or two so I was thinking of adding power steering . Is this possible ? Anyone done this ? 
    • By Alan Callison
      Hello boys and girls!:howdy:I need a little help if ya dont mind.I need to replace the rear axle bearings on my 400 but Im going at this blind having never done it before. Ive looked it up in the repair manual but it doesn't give any specific steps on how to do it. I've got the left rear brakes off already as I was replacing the shoes anyway. Can somebody give me a rundown on what Ive gotta do please?I know I need to pull the right wheel off just havent done that yet. Do I need to take anything apart in the final drive or elsewhere in order to yank the axle out for instance? Which side does the axle come out from,L or R? Any details I need to know will be greatly appreciated.Thanks ya'll!
    • By luckyhook
      I have a old 99 sportsman 500 and I lost awd as well as the speedo, I only use for deer hunting and ice fishing but definately need the awd, speedo not needed.
      Any way to easily fix this? I heard you can jump some wires and should get awd working again.
      any help here?
      Thanks
      JIM
  • Similar Tagged Content

• Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      If you know you're going to be bashing your quad's axle over rocks and rough terrain, tape it up. Take a roll of electrical tape and generously wrap the axle from the swingarm out to the hubs. Standard electrical tape will work, but the heavy-duty thick stuff is even better. When you are done bashing you bikr though the nasty terrain, you can cut the tape off and still have that showroom shine for your next out to the dunes, where you don't have to worry about getting dings!
      Quad off-road magazine
    • By Alan Callison
      Hello boys and girls!:howdy:I need a little help if ya dont mind.I need to replace the rear axle bearings on my 400 but Im going at this blind having never done it before. Ive looked it up in the repair manual but it doesn't give any specific steps on how to do it. I've got the left rear brakes off already as I was replacing the shoes anyway. Can somebody give me a rundown on what Ive gotta do please?I know I need to pull the right wheel off just havent done that yet. Do I need to take anything apart in the final drive or elsewhere in order to yank the axle out for instance? Which side does the axle come out from,L or R? Any details I need to know will be greatly appreciated.Thanks ya'll!
    • By Alan Callison
      OK everybody,I need some help here please. My 4 wheeler has got a bad wheel bearing I discovered while starting a brake job. Its on the left side. I've never done one and I need some knowledge how to go about it. Am I to understand I need to pull the whole axle out to do it. I've done it once on a car about 30 years ago,lol. I keep looking around for a repair manual but they're hard to find without having to buy it. I looked here on this site but apparently Im too junior a member to be able to download one right now.Bummer!  One other question if I may.When I pulled the drum off the spindle a torrent of water poured out,the brake shoes were covered in mud along with everything else. I mean the drum had alot of water in it. The shoes were so locked up after I removed the springs I tried to rotate one of the shoes and it wasn't easy at all. I noticed whoever had the machine before myself had laid a bead of RTV around the back plate but apparently it didn't work. Isn't there some kind of gasket for this purpose. I saw it calls for a dust shield but surely this wont keep the brakes dry or will it. Thanks everybody.
    • By Darryl Traina
      This bike has a straight axle that is moving horizontally in the housing in both directions about 2 inches. Has anyone had the same issue if so what did it take to repair it?
      Thanks..
      Darryl
    • By Mongrel
      Changing a boot on the front axle of my 1990 Yamaha Big Bear. Got any advise or know of any special tools to make it easier?