Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Hi Guys....brand new to this forum and Kodiak.
I have a 2008 Kodiak 450 4x4. I bought it used. It has 200 miles and 100 hours.

I tried to hook up a 15 gal. broadcast sprayer w/ a pump to the atv. It has two leads that I typically hook to the battery of my other atv and I've never had any issues in the past.

this was the first time I ever hooked this pump sprayer to this atv.

The atv started right up and I brought it from 1 barn to the other to hook up the sprayer. I shut it down and hooked up the two leads from the pump to the battery terminals via alligator clips. the atv was off at this time.

when I hooked up the leads, I heard a slight crackle/pop when I hooked up the battery terminal leads and there was a slight electrical smell. i thought it was just the crackle you get when getting a good connection to the terminals. i tested the pump, it worked and proceeded to start the atv.

No luck. All digital display items work and the atv will turn over, but it will not start. it sounds like there's no fire to it. it turns over strong. 
I checked the choke and the auto kill switch thinking it got bumped.
I also checked the few fuses in the same compartment as the battery. all visually looked good.

is there another fuse I'm missing?
Anything else I should check?
My next step is to pull the plug, ground it and see if I got spark.....but I find it odd that not 5 minutes before it fired up just fine and it drove down from the other barn...and now it wont start after hooking up the sprayer.

ANY thoughts or input is much much appreciated!

Thanks!
JR

You say

"when I hooked up the leads, I heard a slight crackle/pop when I hooked up the battery terminal leads and there was a slight electrical smell. i thought it was just the crackle you get when getting a good connection to the terminals. i tested the pump, it worked and proceeded to start the atv. "

Just guessing was the pump turned on when you connected it? If turned off there should not have been and issue - something close get shorted?

Suggest you download the Shop Manual and check out the wiring diagram

• Like 1

First thought is that you had the terminals reversed and the second thought is the motor is seized on the pump sprayer. I used to have a 450 kodiak and loved it!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Dwight Williams
      I have a 99 Kodiak 400 4X4 that I picked up for $300.  The previous owner had modified the foot shifter by welding a piece of rebar to it so he could hand shift while plowing.  As you can imagine, the allows for much more torque on the shifter than it was designed to have, and he broke the stopper off of the the shift mechanism.  No big deal, I ordered the part and put it back together, went through the carburetor and off we go, it runs pretty good.  
      The first thing I noticed is that when I put the shifter all the way down it goes into reverse, I'm supposed to twist a knob to get it to reverse but this seems to be disabled.  Also, once in reverse, it's a bugger to get back out.  I have to hold the shifter up, then quickly back down and up again to get it to come out.  All forward gears work fine, clutch is tight, no problems.
      The reverse cable and lever are in tact and seem to move freely.  
      My question is this:  What does one normally have to do to get this thing into reverse?  I assume put it in neutral, twist the knob, kick the shifter down.  Does the brake need to be applied?  I'm not sure what's going on here, I suspect it's been 'modified' as it goes into reverse without the proper precautions, just not sure if the mods were external on internal.

thanks
    • By George Henry
      I just watched this video I made ten years ago.  It made me laugh.  I was riding a 1985 Honda ATC 200X.  It's hard to film yourself so I had to position the camera to film me.  May flies out th wazoo, but I HAD to ride.  I hope you get a laugh.
      Here is the link: 
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNfAPe3NIg4
    • By John Dunn III
      Just bought a LT 230 anything I should watch for. It runs and drive good. Just don't want no surprises 
    • By Skhot K
      Hello! I picked up a YFM400 and I would love to talk shop with knowledgeable co-owners, and I'd love input about the machine from anyone here who clearly knows more than I do! Cheers from NY
    • By BAMFUPINYA
      Any current Northern AZ folks out there on this forum? Im up in Flagstaff. Any organized rides anyone knows of?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Milsparro
      Howdy y'all. Just bought myself a 2004? Yamaha 400 with electrical Gremlins aplenty. Runs good (after jumping the starter solenoid relay terminals with the helpfully included with the sale pliers) but no fan when my wife's 03 Kodiak 400 had fan and the starter button makes it to the starter solenoid but the ECU side isn't happy. This seems to be a lively forum with manual downloads being supported so hi.
      Oh yah, and you can get two Kodiak 400s on a 5x8 trailer... I bought a nice 14' trailer as soon as possible after this.

• By Jay Reddick
      Hey guys, need some help with my 2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 4x4.  Was riding and it started smoking below the air box and then Caught fire.  We got the fire put out quickly with a fire extinguisher.  Many of the wires below the air box got damaged.   I purchased a new wiring harness for the atv and replaced that as well as any other damaged cables or parts that burned up where the fire was.  I also replaced the regulator, the ECU, and the starter solenoid. I also replaced the stater since some of the cables that went to the regulator were damaged.  It acts like it will crank but it won’t turn over.   The fuel pump initialized when I turn the key so it’s working.  I’ve spend $1500 on parts and no luck yet.  Any suggestions?  
    • By Guy Churchward
      I have a 2016 Yamaha Kodiak and find myself with a start issue.. I changed the battery so it’s not that.. here’s a video of me trying and then boost starting.. can anyone give me pointers as to a starter motor issue or fuse or wiring or whatever ?.. I find myself without a vehicle with a tow hitch for the 1st time in years so have a dead and stranded ATV to fix !
      thanks in advance, suggestions welcome
      Guy

IMG_5952.mp4  

• By mothrottle
      The VIN on my 2018 Kodiak 450 is not where it's supposed to be. I bought this used. Is there another "hidden" location where I can find it? Need the number for insurance co. Thanks in advance.
    • By Michael Aiken
      Where can I find a wiring diagram for my 2005 450 Kodiak. Thanks.