Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Logan West

2000 Kawasaki Bayou 300 4x4 Electrical power loss

Hey all, new to the forum here and ATV's in general and looking for some help.

Was doing some riding today, nothing major, just around the farm, when all of a sudden my electric start stopped working on me. Thought that was really weird but I pull started it and kept going. Then all of a sudden about 25 min later I lost all electrical power all together and was stranded. Could this be just the battery??? I am thankful for whatever info you can throw my way.

Welcome! I moved your topic to our Kawasaki ATV forum. 😁

Just now, Admin said:

Welcome! I moved your topic to our Kawasaki ATV forum. 😁

Thanks, like I said, I am new haha, sorry if I caused any problems.

53 minutes ago, Logan West said:

Hey all, new to the forum here and ATV's in general and looking for some help.

Was doing some riding today, nothing major, just around the farm, when all of a sudden my electric start stopped working on me. Thought that was really weird but I pull started it and kept going. Then all of a sudden about 25 min later I lost all electrical power all together and was stranded. Could this be just the battery??? I am thankful for whatever info you can throw my way.

Could be the battery, might have not had enough juice to crank the starter and then just completely ran out of charge. The easiest way to test that is to charge the battery and then see if it starts or jump it with a 12v starter pack or jumper cables. If it starts, its the battery. If not, you may have an electrical problem.

Edited by quadmaniac

1 minute ago, quadmaniac said:

Could be the battery, might have not had enough juice to crank the starter and then just completely ran out of charge. The easiest way to test that is to charge the battery and then see if it starts or jump it with a 12v starter pack or jumper cables. If it starts, its the battery. If not, you may have an electrical problem.

Could it be the stator? I've read that those dont fail often but when they do they give no warning. Also, it is unable to start at all, not even pull start, is that normal?

Bayou 300 need a full charge on the battery. Even to pull start it From my experience. And there is a 30 amp fuse under the seat. First charge/test that battery the main fuse should be right by the battery. After those confirm OK if the bike still doesn't work. Get an electrical schematic and start chasing wires it really sounds like a ground of some sort. To lose everything on a working bike out of nowhere seems like a fuse or ground and maybe the battery is dead. 

I don't know about the 300 but my 400 has 2 fuses on it. The one by the battery and another is tucked up under the plastic, nice and hidden.